Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

DiabloDoom?

Okay, it's actually called Doom: Fall of Mars, but the title gets the general gist of it. Doom has seen its fair share of fan games, from roguelikes to platformers, but as far as I can tell this is the first time someone has tried to create an isometric Diablo-style game with Doom graphics. You can find an early playable alpha here if that piques your interest.

I hoped for better graphics, not the same recycled 3d shooter sprite material copied on isometric layout. NOT gonna download it unless better graphicked. Sorry. I hope it gets better. I suggest use Doom 3, it fits perfectly everywhere (but remember denying player weapons when flashlight is on).

Uh, looks okay to me. Gonna try it out as soon as possible.

Edit: Heh, couldn't resist. I just played it and it's awesome! At least for a start. I think the graphics are rather simple (but not bad) and there are some definite issues that need flattened out, but this looks like a really promising game. I played Diablo II for years and I can really appreciate the idea of creating a hack-and-slash Doom RPG. Here's hoping to some really neat content, variety, and replayability.

printz said:
I suggest use Doom 3,

That would be ugly. In any case, it's a work in progress, so perhaps they'll eventually improve their sprite selections (original touchups and work should be the primary source). They have to make it require one of the the IWADs (by reading them), if it doesn't already, though.

myk said:

That would be ugly. In any case, it's a work in progress, so perhaps they'll eventually improve their sprite selections (original touchups and work should be the primary source). They have to make it require one of the the IWADs (by reading them), if it doesn't already, though.

It looks like it's done with Game Maker; although it seems to be possible to use the IWADs in Game Maker (though the file I/O isn't designed for binary files), I'd assume we'll never see this being "legal". :(

Pity, really, since the concept is pretty promising.

Jodwin said:

Pity, really, since the concept is pretty promising.

Indeed, it's a very good start. I'd like to see it developed further. :)

Unless of course they draw their own sprites from scratch. How many people have played this yet? I don't have much memory left on this laptop and I'm considering giving this a try. I've never played Diablo but I get the gist of what it is. Does this have a lot of replay value?

I'll have check this one out. It looks interesting, and the gameplay style looks cool.

Diablo has no map editor, so I don't see how this one is expected to.

Well if the levels are built using tiles or whatever then he would need an editor to make the level i would think... so maybe he would release it.

This is very cool. It lacks in the level and enemy department but it is an excellent start.

Hey no one's commented on it yet, but there's a new beta up, which has 20 levels, mostly randomly generated with a few boss ones inbetween. So far lots of things are still not in, such as merchants or some way of traveling between levels quicker, and the random generator is a little iffy, and there's still no map. However you can dungeon crawl all the way to the bottom and beat the Cyberdemon, so it should be fun to playthrough.