Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Watchmen - Best movie ever?

The answer is no. It's trash.

Once again I blindly followed internet hype and paid the price, wasting my time and money at one of the worst paced and overly complex borefests I've ever seen.

My review is 2/10. The 2 is for the hot ass 40s chick that wore yellow and got me going for the three minute she was on camera.

Whether or not you read the old comic, don't bother with this movie unless you're a glutton for punishment. Don't say I didn't warn you!

I haven't seen it yet. I have indeed heard mixed responses and, as a huge fan of the book, figure I'm going to see it at some point. I don't imagine it will be nearly as incredible as the graphic novel was but hopefully I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

(By they way, have you read the book? Just out of curiosity.)

there might be 2 or 3 better movies throughout the history and future, but whatever. i saw it yesteday and it was pure fucking magic. 11/10 hands down /and i'm a fanatical worshipper of the comicbook/.

the opening credits with dylan's music made me wonder whether i should cry or wet myself with joy.

I'm allergic to comic book movies, so I won't be seeing this.

PRO-TIP for Hollywood: MAKE ORIGINAL MOVIES!!

I have my doubts. The director's previous work is not that promising...
Looks like style over substance in a large fashion.

The movie followed the comic very closely. My only gripe was that the movie was not well paced and would not make any sense to anymore who hasn't read the graphic novel. Overall I'd rank it at 7 out of 10.

NOT LISTENING LA LA LA

I was gonna see it today but I had to schedule a party for tonight. I might see it Monday instead (I work through the weekend).

You'll totally love this movie if you managed to watch through Seven Swords and Aeon Flux. I didn't.

Opinions are too polarized. I just have to see it.

I will probably enjoy the extended dvd cut ten times more.

I think it's destined that I'll see it eventually, so I'm planning to get that fated event over with as soon as possible. I loved the graphic novel, but I wasn't impressed by 300 (the movie), so I really can't guess whether I'll like this movie or not.

I just got back from a showing, and I really liked it. I haven't read the novel, but I knew a little bit about the story, so I didn't go in as a total virgin. :p I definitely want to pick it up now.

That said, I can easily see how the movie might not appeal to people.

I'm getting tired of hearing "It would have been better if it were made 20 years ago". What the hell?

Edit: OGG NO WATCH MOVIE TO THINK. OGG WANT TITS AND EXPLOSIONS. ME READ NO BOOK, SO ME NO KNOW ABOUT MOVIE EVERYONE ELSE IN THEATRE KNOW ABOUT. OGG SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS. MOVIE SHOULD BE MADE FOR OGG!

Zaldron said:

Opinions are too polarized. I just have to see it.

I will probably enjoy the extended dvd cut ten times more.

You sound like a robot.

Csonicgo said:
Edit: OGG NO WATCH MOVIE TO THINK. OGG WANT TITS AND EXPLOSIONS. ME READ NO BOOK, SO ME NO KNOW ABOUT MOVIE EVERYONE ELSE IN THEATRE KNOW ABOUT. OGG SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS. MOVIE SHOULD BE MADE FOR OGG! [/B]

...You read my mind.

Patrick Pineda said:

My only gripe was that the movie was not well paced and would not make any sense to anymore who hasn't read the graphic novel.

I hadn't read or heard about the comic until this movie was announced. I saw it tonight and it was damn good. I'd go so far as to say that it doesn't feel like a "comic book movie". I didn't have a hard time keeping up, except for

*SPOILERS*
How did some lowlife like the Comedian uncover this whole plan? I mean, he did see it coming and I presume he had his little breakdown for that reason. He just doesn't seem like the detective-ing type.

I don't know, maybe I should just see it again. But "making no sense" is a stretch. Maybe this story was high-concept back in 1985 but it's been explored since and people are familiar with it.

Csonicgo said:

Edit: OGG NO WATCH MOVIE TO THINK. OGG WANT TITS AND EXPLOSIONS. ME READ NO BOOK, SO ME NO KNOW ABOUT MOVIE EVERYONE ELSE IN THEATRE KNOW ABOUT. OGG SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS. MOVIE SHOULD BE MADE FOR OGG!

Unfortunately, I guess I'm just not quite as smart as you. If only I also were an intellectual, I would've enjoyed this poorly edited film as well :\

Can't win em all

Sorry, bro. If you claim this movie is "overly complex", you expose your ignorance.

Don't see whats wrong with the film. It was slow in some parts but it wasn't bad. Characters were actually very interesting.

the 'moving photos' opening sequence. i knew about it when i went to the cinema, but it still floored me.

one could argue about editing and pace and whatnot, but hey, it's TRUE to the book and therefore CANNOT be fast and simple. it's epic, complex, everything and everyone has a backstory... the editing is as good as it gets. if you don't like the plot, it's not the movie's fault, you wouldn't like the comics either and should stick with spiderman and sin city.

the only part i found longwinded was all the dreiberg's emo whining and how he couldn't get his dick up, but that was too long in the book, too.

Personally I don't care much for comic books, or comic book based movies. The Dark Knight was okay because it focused mainly on the characters personalities, as opposed to being just a guy in a rubber suit kicking ass. I must admit though, I'm slightly interested in seeing Watchmen, it seems a bit more adult and visceral than say Spiderman and Fantastic 4, and I really like Rorschachs style. What really ruined the X-Men movies for me was the lack of Gambit. Cyclops and Wolverine always seemed like douchebags to me, Gambit was the cool player.

Jello said:

Personally I don't care much for comic books, or comic book based movies. The Dark Knight was okay because it focused mainly on the characters personalities, as opposed to being just a guy in a rubber suit kicking ass. I must admit though, I'm slightly interested in seeing Watchmen, it seems a bit more adult and visceral than say Spiderman and Fantastic 4, and I really like Rorschachs style. What really ruined the X-Men movies for me was the lack of Gambit. Cyclops and Wolverine always seemed like douchebags to me, Gambit was the cool player.

Well, you're in luck. He's going to be in that origins movie.

I liked it, but I think it'll be totally unapproachable to anyone who didn't read the book. There's just too much information, hidden plot points, and subtle references for someone to watch once and like it. Would have been much better as a miniseries.

I'm honestly wondering what some of you thought of the musical choices. A lot of the music fit the mood or time period, but at the same time most of it felt hilariously inappropriate. However, I can't tell if this was done intentionally, which actually makes it more appropriate. :p

Snarboo said:

I'm honestly wondering what some of you thought of the musical choices. A lot of the music fit the mood or time period, but at the same time most of it felt hilariously inappropriate. However, I can't tell if this was done intentionally, which actually makes it more appropriate. :p

I disliked most of the choices. I hate Bob Dylan, so that wrote the opening credits off. I like Hendrix a lot, but All Around the Watchtower was so horribly misplaced I wanted to gouge my eyes out. Same with Sounds of Silence. Hallelujah on the other hand was really campy, but I thought that it was hilarious.

I'll have you know that the Dylan was already in the comic book. If it was in the movie then they were just sticking to the comic book. There were some other songs that were quoted/playing on radios in the book too, though I can't remember what. But All Along the Watchtower is kind of an important song for the story. IIRC the premise of that song was the inspiration for the book's storyline.

Still need to see the movie...

yeah, the songs are 'the soundtrack' in the comics, so again it's just faithfulness to the book. i think they're purposely so loud and 'disturbing', because snyder uses them as some sort of time anchor for the story. it might be overdone for someone who expects subtle hints, but among my friends it was met with generally positive reaction. you know, OH YEAH OLDIES WOOOHOOO. :)

It was okay.

1/3 Great - Certain performances - Jackie Earl Haley as Rorschach, Jeffery Dean Morgan as The Comedian, Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, and Matthew Goode as Veidt. Crudup gets special mention for being the only interesting physicist since Gordon Freeman, and he actually had to use his nerdy voice. Haley somehow looks exactly like Rorschach from the comics. Nicely done. He is able to deliver some stupid lines with conviction and sell them. Goode makes Veidt slightly and uncomfortably sleazy. The sets were amazing and unendingly faithful to the comic. Most of the character back stories are explored as best as possible under the constraints of a film.

Oh, yeah, and Matt fucking Frewer.

1/3 Okay - Anything having to do with Nite Owl. The actor and character are exceptionally bland in the first place. He's got one good line in the movie, and it's in a flashback. There are times when the outdoor scenes from the graphic novel aren't translated as they should be in order to use more rain. It rains more in this movie in two and a half hours than it does in Seattle per year. The new ending wasn't horribly offensive.

1/3 Awful - I know that Zach Snyder is some kind of visionary, which is what the trailer told me, but I still have to ask why he decided to have a block of feldspar wearing a wig play Silk Spectre. It was entirely possible to get an actress to do it. I hear they have a lot of actresses in Hollywood, and most of them have tits too.

The movie probably could have been absolutely great with about five minutes more of the character and/or thematic development. Where could they have found five more minutes with this runtime? Maybe if half the fucking movie wasn't in slow motion they might have had enough time for the nihilistic rorschach test metaphor or the complete Dr. Manhattan "miracles" speech. SPECIFICALLY those two. Maybe they could have stopped following the most bland superhero in existence and his feldspar sex toy for just a little while, like during the latter two minutes of the "hallelujah" sex scene.

Fiend said:

Maybe if half the fucking movie wasn't in slow motion they might have had enough time for the nihilistic rorschach test metaphor or the complete Dr. Manhattan "miracles" speech. SPECIFICALLY those two.

I found both of those scenes exactly long enough. The testing scene had made its point just so, and the "miracles" speech was drifting into cliche territory. If you're suggesting they both should've been longer, well... thank the lord you're not a director.