Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

custom MIDI problem *solved*

OK, so in my WAD I've removed all the original music and instead used my own MIDI tracks for the game, using MAPINFO. At first this worked fine, the looping, everything.
But one time an error occurred and I couldn't open my maps in Doom Builder anymore (dammit!) so I deleted the WAD and made a copy of my backup WAD. In this WAD I hadn't replaced the old MIDIs yet, nor was there the MAPINFO file. So I loaded the MIDI's again, and created the MAPINFO, again, but now, XWE recognizes my MIDIs as sprites! (Except for D_RUNNIN, because that's the only original MIDI I use in my WAD. That's the only MIDI XWE properly sees as a music file.)

Does anyone know what causes this? 'Cause this is annoying the hell outta me! Thanks in advance!

Well, XWE is notorious for displaying lumps as the "wrong type." I think this is just a cosmetic bug and doesn't affect anything at all. As long as you properly imported the MIDI files and correctly wrote your MAPINFO, everything should work fine. Run the wad and warp to different maps and note how your new music works.

EarthQuake said:

Well, XWE is notorious for displaying lumps as the "wrong type." I think this is just a cosmetic bug and doesn't affect anything at all. As long as you properly imported the MIDI files and correctly wrote your MAPINFO, everything should work fine. Run the wad and warp to different maps and note how your new music works.

Well, other than the D_RUNNIN, DOOM doesn't play my music at all. When I warp to another level from MAP01, D_RUNNIN keeps on playing. Moreover, in the MAPINFO I also set the intermusic but when I exit a level, "music "D_GETSMA" not found" is displayed. The rest of MAPINFO works though, because the level names are displayed on the automap, evenlighting works, etc.
I thought the problem was XWE not recognizing my files, but I guess that's not it. It's really weird, because all MIDI files are included in the WAD but somehow DOOM doesn't seem to be able to find them.

Are you sure they're not between S_ or SS_ markers? Moving them outside the markers should make XWE recognise them as MIDIs.

Jimmy91 said:

Are you sure they're not between S_ or SS_ markers? Moving them outside the markers should make XWE recognise them as MIDIs.

Yes, that's it! I forgot I added a new monster to my WAD after I imported the MIDIs, and I probably mixed up the SS_ markers or moved the MIDIs down or something... Anyway, I deleted both the monster and the MIDIs and re-loaded them, and now everything works fine.
Thanks a lot guys!