Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Download: SEABURT (limit removing)

This is a single player version of the deathmatch map I made for the wad 2sector in July 2006. This map only uses 2 sectors.

If you wanna record demos, they'll be added to the zip.

blue = megasphere
green = invulnerability
red = exit
yellow = bfg & teleport

Ha, I really like it, of course I'm biased because I'm no rocket jumper (but did quite like your last map as well). Creative initially dormant enemy blockades and looks brutal/fun, and for 2 sectors looks quite nice (I like symmetry anyway and the fewer sectors the more symmetry by definition (well 1 sector would be pretty dumb)).

My strategy so far is to destroy the 'blockades' asap to maximize infighting. Really doubt I can beat any of your times, but will be a fun challenge to try and beat the map w/ max.

One time I made a square 48pixel-ish wide path with too-close-together reverents on each side of the path, and you teleported inside, thus having to keep running around the square path to avoid melee and also shoot a break in the 'temporarily dormant reverent blockade' to get out, didn't really work that great.

bleh, 9:36 (cheated to look at hud/automap toward end)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/69ixql
Quite fun, I think with this route at least, my best time could be 8:30 and might try again with a different route or something.
Speedrunning with intent to beat mouser times is frustrating and destined to failure for me (tried tons of failed attempts/strategies to beat skep's 3:39 for p2 map2. My player kills a cacodemon in 2 ssg blasts only like 10% of the time, especially if there's a lot of high vs. low terrain nearby. Often it takes 4, broken ass gun.) but still fun to try and beat my own times.

edit: grr, tried different route (use invuln to kill the cybers near bfg) but got exact same time.
looking at the 3rd pic, years ago I used to think a cybers nostrils were its eyes and the red 'eyes' were its ears or part of the horn or something (looked cooler like that imo. It was kinda a let down when I realized he's a wide eyed buffoon).

Really good co-op WAD. I managed to complete it solo, mostly by relying on infighting. Invincibility sphere helped me with my finish.

I don't know if one of the mods doesn't like me or if he's just playing games with my heart, but I'm not allowed to name my thread in all caps even though other threads have words with all caps. Someone call the waaaaambulance.

Here are some more demos: max/speed/nightmare
7:16 max - 44 speed - 48 nightmare

I really don't know what the best route is for max. For speed, I copied TGH's route but just tried running through the cybers without waiting. And nightmare the same thing, but waited for the cybers. I figured for -fast it would be safer to kill the cybers by the bfg and then take out each horde individually?

To answer TGH's comment in his text file about the romero heads: I thought it might make people question whether the map was really two sectors (like the switches/baron wall). The romero heads die almost instantly when you walk into the exit sign, but only because I cheated and made barrels 255 units tall.

edit: and "heh" at the cyber nostrils comment

TimeOfDeath said:
I don't know if one of the mods doesn't like me or if he's just playing games with my heart, but I'm not allowed to name my thread in all caps even though other threads have words with all caps.

I actually renamed it "Seaburt" after it was named to some odd series of characters. I felt some people were going to lose track of your thread. As for caps, that was secondary, although now I see it's in all caps in the text file, so yeah, maybe that's okay... let's just hope everybody doesn't start using all caps names for WADs just to type it thus in the forums :p

Ok, it must've been someone else. I renamed it to some gibberish after someone decapitalized the letters. I'm just being a baby, though.

edit: thanks for changing it back. How about there's a rule where you can name your wad in all caps only if you use dumb names like seaburt, loink, squane, smedley, jk

Choosing a solid black message icon (like iddqd) probably is more attention grabbing than all caps (relative to all the default light blue 'dumb's), in this world where we all want to spread our memes.

I might try mouse again, but doubtful. Its more fun to complain about my disadvantage. The respawning of nightmare makes it seem impossible to determine whether every monster was killed at least once without some sort of tally software, but -fast could be interesting, maybe a lot easier because of all the infighting. I got 44 speed earlier too.

You know you want this, gggmork. I can hear it calling out to you. It's saying, "Touch me, gggmork. Put your hand on me. Put your hand on me and play with my body."

If you can willingly keep your hands off those sexy curves I'll be astounded.

Maybe if I had a mouse like that I'd be more interested, but I like the digital feel of a keyboard for a game I guess. That'd be cool if they made a 'mouse' where your pointer, middle, ring fingers each had a separate 'mouse' of its own (each possibly with resistance to stay centered like an n64 control stick and clickable). Not sure if it'd be useful for anything/too confusing.

-fast parameter was harder than I thought but the majority just infight, don't really have to worry about the masterminds much (7:03). I just luckily found a megasphere whenever I needed one.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1zovj8

TimeOfDeath said:

edit: btw, why did you use complevel 9, TGH?

In -complevel 2 (Doom2.exe compatibility,) after a short while playing it, intercept overflows tend to occur using the BFG because there are so many corpses on the ground, similar to what can happen on HR2 MAP32. Not even Doom2+ is safe from this. I used -complevel 9 (Boom v2.02 compatibility) so that I can never have this happen.

The Green Herring said:

In -complevel 2 (Doom2.exe compatibility,) after a short while playing it, intercept overflows tend to occur using the BFG because there are so many corpses on the ground, similar to what can happen on HR2 MAP32. Not even Doom2+ is safe from this. I used -complevel 9 (Boom v2.02 compatibility) so that I can never have this happen.

Intercept overflow?

In Doom's original executable, an intercepts overflow occurs when a hitscan attack, including BFG tracers, crosses over more than 128 linedefs/things at once. It overwrites part of the memory, with the end result that everything in the level becomes a ghost, including the player (noclip.) If the overflow is massive enough, it can even crash the game. As I mentioned before, even Doom+/Doom2+, which otherwise raises many other limits, is affected by this. PrBoom+ emulates this behavior with Doom.exe/Doom2.exe compatibility, although it's not possible for it to crash from one.

The Green Herring said:
It overwrites part of the memory, with the end result that everything in the level becomes a ghost, including the player (noclip.)

Well, that can happen, although many overflows just change the behavior of the game, affecting internal memory without an adverse effect. TimeOfDeath's demos in this level, for example, all play back correctly even in Doom+. Though I do agree it's better not to use intercepts 128 other than in true vanilla.

I used -complevel 9 (Boom v2.02 compatibility) so that I can never have this happen.

If you want more vanilla-like behavior, use 7. At least monsters don't get kicked off ledges... although on this particular level that does not matter much. There aren't many ledges in a 2 sector level :p

7:36, beat my time but not yours. Of course you don't have to bloat the zip with all my attempts, or watch them.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ga3mzn
I've been using cl9 too, just out of habit and I'm too lazy to find out which cl means what again.

EDIT:
there, beat it using your route mostly (7:05) until you get 5:30 or something insane
http://www.sendspace.com/file/r32vdv

EDIT AGAIN:
beat my last -fast parameter (now 6:26), but did dumb stuff like got lost and shot an exit like 3 times even though no barons were in it and took time hunting down stragglers, so could have been 40 sec faster maybe.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6nu83n