• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moshman

Mid texture bleeds into the ground.

Moshman said:

How do I get rid of this?

Rewrite Doom's flat rendering code.

Suppose you want a helpful answer don't you? I suppose an easy way to fix this would be to edit the picture by cutting off the pixels that go into the floor, without editing the dimensions, and using that texture instead.

... Or use OpenGL (but I'm assuming your map is made with software rendering in mind, so that's not much of a solution).

Put the mid texture on a linedef that has different sector heights on each side. Alternatively, you can modify the texture height in the TEXTURE1 lump (or add a duplicate texture with a different height that cuts off the patch). Also, depending on the ceiling height of the area where you used your mid texture, you could just lower-unpeg it.

The Y-Offset on the line can move the midmask texture up/down.

To "chop" a tall midmask texture, do this:
1) Make sure there are two different sectors in front of and behind the linedef
2) Give the back sector a slightly higher light level (add 1).

Hmm... really? I don't think I ever tried using a different light level on each side, but I'm glad to know that it works. Especially since in Doom, light level differences are only visible in increments of 16 (or was it 8?).

Any difference between the sectors on either side will clip a mid texture.

That can be flat texture, light level etc

EarthQuake said:

light level differences are only visible in increments of 16 (or was it 8?).

No, ZDoom still uses the colormap and playpal, so the difference between light levels is still as coarse as it is in vanilla. However, minute light level differences can be seen through observing Doom's darkness fade effect. Hard to explain, but if you messed around with subtle light differences, you'd see the effect.

Ok I see what you mean. The actual brightness on the sector floor/ceiling/walls only visibly changes in 16 increments, but the darkness fade effect visibly changes with any increment in brightness.

The reason I asked was because I've seen a long rectangular hallway cut up into smaller rectangular sectors to make it darker towards the end of it - each sector has one less brightness unit than the previous sector - and it clearly got darker on each sector, not only in 16 increments.

TimeOfDeath said:

Ok I see what you mean. The actual brightness on the sector floor/ceiling/walls only visibly changes in 16 increments, but the darkness fade effect visibly changes with any increment in brightness.

The reason I asked was because I've seen a long rectangular hallway cut up into smaller rectangular sectors to make it darker towards the end of it - each sector has one less brightness unit than the previous sector - and it clearly got darker on each sector, not only in 16 increments.

Are you using ZDoom? Its renderer uses more precise lighting tables than Doom.exe.

Regarding the original problem, is this a ZDoom-only map or shall it be compatible with other ports, too?

Because in ZDoom you can set proper mid texture clipping both for the entire map or for single linedefs.

If you want to switch off mid texture bleeding completely, just put 'clipmidtextures' in the MAPINFO for your map. Then it doesn't matter how to place the texture and no lighting/floor height hacks are necessary.

EarthQuake said:

Hmm... really? I don't think I ever tried using a different light level on each side, but I'm glad to know that it works. Especially since in Doom, light level differences are only visible in increments of 16 (or was it 8?).

16 for Doom, 8 for Eternity, 1 for ZDoom and any OpenGL port.

Yes.

If your map is in Hexen format, you'll have to use Line_SetIdentification with the flag 16. If it's in Doom format, you're out of luck. If it's in UDMF, look up the UDMF specs.