Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sparerib1968

Texture offset wrong in DOOM.EXE and ZDoom

I have created linedef 75 with front lower sidedef texture SW1COMM. In Doom Builder, the texture offset is 15,27. It is rendered approximately centered as expected in Boom, PrBoom, and Eternity. ZDoom and DOOM.EXE render the texture (wrongly?) so that the switch appears at the very top of the lower sidedef.

I hope you can easily see the problem from the pictures below. This is bad for me, because DOOM.EXE is my design target.

Why the difference?
What can I do to make the texture offset work in DOOM.EXE?

(NOTE: Click the images for larger view)

DOOM.EXE:

ZDoom:

BOOM:

PrBoom:

Eternity Engine:

Editor view:

Linedef properties tab:

Linedef sidedefs tab:

Hello myk,

Linedef 75 is marked double sided because its backside sector is not void. That fact may seem self evident, but please understand that this is my first attempt at a complete level from scratch. I am still trying to develop a sense for good design.

Should the backside be removed, and the backside sector changed to void? How would that fix the texture problem?

I'm not entirely certain if it'll get rid of the problem altogether, but for Doom compatibility, don't put any textures with more than one patch (this includes switch textures, which have a background plus the switch graphic) on a two-sided linedef. It should usually produce a medusa effect.

myk, unless he's using it as a middle texture that shouldn't happen. Using multi-patch textures as upper or lower textures is completely fine and is done quite often, even in the IWAD maps.

An, right, I see it's not the middle but the lower back... no wonder there didn't seem to be a medusa effect.

Sparerib1968, could you post the WAD?

myk, i know this is offtopic, but i'm trying to figure out your icon. considering i've barely seen the doom movie, and unfortunately it isn't the neighbor guy from office space like i had originally thought, i came to the conclusion from seeing the new dawn of the dead again yesterday that possibly that could be the culprit. i figure the bearer of the icon would have a better idea and instead of wondering i'd just ask. who is pictured on your icon?

Weird. I don't know why it isn't working correctly, but it probably does have something to do with that line's rear sector. Anyways, if you change the texture alignment to something like 15, 3 and turn the lower unpegged flag on, then it looks right in all ports.

Yeah, I was about to suggest what Creaphis says, but also, I'd raise the floor of sectors 17 and 68 (the two small ones in front of the switch) by 8 units to hide a small tutti-frutti that otherwise appears at the bottom, in Doom.

It's fixed, although I did neither of your suggestions. I changed both the floor and ceiling of the backside sector (sector 13) to 72, and re-aligned the textures of its external sidedefs (linedefs 38, 62, 67, and 73). I don't know why it worked, but now the switch is aligned perfectly in all ports.

That also fixed the tutti-frutti, which myk rightly pointed out.

Thank you, myk, for saving me from starting another thread. Thank you, Creaphis, for insisting on the rear sector.

Trying to vertically tile a texture that is not 128 tall leads to weird stuff. In your shot you can see the top of the texture repeating at the bottom, and Doom also shows a rendering glitch there.