Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

Funniest monster infighting pairing?

myk said:

Revenant & Mancubus
Picture

Thread won with the first reply! :D

haha, that's exactly what i've always thought when i saw them fighting ;)

2 lost souls fighting look stupid, and i find the imp's pain sound (kind of ooh-ah-ah) hilarious.

myk said:

Revenant & Mancubus

Lol yeah, because it usually ends up with the mancubus dying since it just sits there taking the pain and moaning, while the revenant lashes out undisturbed.

Also, anything infighting a Pain Elemental, since the PE itself will never be retaliated against (except in a few pathological cases) and will just flood the world with lost souls, making everyone forget about the issue in the first place :-)

Also anything vs the archvile, since only the archvile will ever appear offended, and the "victim" and everyone around it will just take the damage without even caring :-D (again...except for the pathological cases explained before).

I also find it hilarious when an imp or zombie finish off a weakened Baron or something equally strong, because you see a frail, weak guy swing a hand or shoot a weedy gun and mowing down a big-ass guy lol.

Maes said:

I also find it hilarious when an imp or zombie finish off a weakened Baron or something equally strong, because you see a frail, weak guy swing a hand or shoot a weedy gun and mowing down a big-ass guy lol.

also hilarious: when you've just slaughtered an entire horde of big monsters when suddenly... from a hallway emerges a lone zombieman you forgot there.
* cue once upon a time in the west theme *

also, said zombieman barely surviving the blast of a cyber's rockets and going pew-pew. for a second.

damn, you just made summon annihilators, demolishers and greater incubi plus a few zombies just for the show :p

Demons biting (or imps scratching) a cyberdemon to death from a great height below.

Anything killing a boss brain, but particularly lost souls (though this isn't in itself infighting, but rather a misdirected attack).

One funny piece of infighting I once set up was as follows:
* Get a pain elemental and a revenant attacking me from opposite sides
* Arrange to die at that point (archies blasting away at me made that quite easy) very close to a boss brain
* Then the revenant's [tracking] missile stopped tracking me, and with a bit of luck hit the pain elemental
* The pain elemental then retaliated against the revenant (then motionless because the player was dead) but its lost souls were blocked by the boss brain, which they thus attacked in their efforts to harm the revenant
* A bit of mess ensued, with some infighting between lost souls and the lost soul limit not quite being reached, but eventually the boss brain died, ending the level with a bang. Hurray!

Grazza said:

One funny piece of infighting I once set up was as follows:
* Get a pain elemental and a revenant attacking me from opposite sides
* Arrange to die at that point (archies blasting away at me made that quite easy) very close to a boss brain
* Then the revenant's [tracking] missile stopped tracking me, and with a bit of luck hit the pain elemental
* The pain elemental then retaliated against the revenant (then motionless because the player was dead) but its lost souls were blocked by the boss brain, which they thus attacked in their efforts to harm the revenant
* A bit of mess ensued, with some infighting between lost souls and the lost soul limit not quite being reached, but eventually the boss brain died, ending the level with a bang. Hurray!

Wait wait wait...
You beat a level while dead because of infighting? Thats awesome! haha

My favourite was a single spectre catching a spiderdemon off-balance and spending a couple of minutes mauling it to death.

I like it when a single Chaingunner kills an Arachnotron and a Mancubus
because they are the most time in their pain state
or for example when you spawn a friendly chaingunner in original doom 2 map04... with a bit luck he kills all the enemies alone

Any time a former human turns to gibs from a single melee hit by some middle tier monster. I always laugh when that happens. My favorite is when the Revenant does it, since the gratifying *smack* sound just makes it all the more ridiculous.

Demon vs. Demon

Does anyone know if it's possible to manipulate a Doom savegame to make two enemies "angry" at each whom otherwise could not possibly be angry at one another?

AndrewB said:

Demon vs. Demon

Does anyone know if it's possible to manipulate a Doom savegame to make two enemies "angry" at each whom otherwise could not possibly be angry at one another?

Don't think you can do that with vanilla, however with some sourceports you can spawn friendly versions of monsters that will attack and be attacked by monsters.

Today I saw a few demons kill a spider mastermind. I also saw an imp take a distracted cyberdemon from nearly full health to dead. Unfortunately for the imp, the cyberdemon turned around and fired a rocket in the imp's face right as it got it's killing blow. It was pretty cool to see two gibs at once.

AndrewB said:

Demon vs. Demon

Definitively yes on source ports, since monsters "know" each other by their THING ID, which is saved and reloaded along with the rest of the game state from and to memory.

Some early versions of vanilla Doom though (like v1.1) didn't save this info, and reloading a game broke all infighting. Dunno if v1.9 definitively fixed that though.

Back when I only used Doom 95 to play (yeah, that was a while ago) I found that saving a game and then loading that save would put all monsters back to a pre-alerted state. Damage done to the monsters was preserved, but all monsters forgot their targets and went back to the waiting frames. I thought this was how all vanilla versions worked. I take it that it isn't?

Undead+priest said:
Lost soul against Cyberdemon. Cyberdemon got kill by one of these once.

Butts said:
Unfortunately for the imp, the cyberdemon turned around and fired a rocket in the imp's face right as it got it's killing blow. It was pretty cool to see two gibs at once.

These comments reminded me of something...

t2f8-720.zip

AndrewB said:

Demon vs. Demon

Concerning pinkies, I read it's possible to get them to infight if you use a blur artifact. Has anyone seen this?

Only in early versions of the game. Their attacks were originally similar to the chainsaw attack (short range hitscan), but were made like other monster melee attacks for version 1.5 an on. I'm guessing it's not possible for demons to attack each other, short of some bizarre memory-related glitch causing data to get mixed up.

Splatter said:

Concerning pinkies, I read it's possible to get them to infight if you use a blur artifact. Has anyone seen this?

Yup, when I was still using v1.1, but no recollection of it afterwards. It must be because of what myk said.

TheeXile said:

Any time a former human turns to gibs from a single melee hit by some middle tier monster. I always laugh when that happens. My favorite is when the Revenant does it, since the gratifying *smack* sound just makes it all the more ridiculous.

It happens quite a bit with Barons/Hell Knights with me, the Demon doing it just as much but what's funny is I've seen an Imp do this to a former human a couple of times.

The most common non hitscan infighting pairs I see are Imp/Demon, Demon/Cacodemon or Baron/Revenant / Hell Knight/Revenant.

Hitscan infighting is among my favorite since I find it amusing for the humans to gun each other down.

I have seen a demon attack a demon before, although I don't remember exactly how it happened. I have seen demons bite sideways when the player has a blur artifact, so I'm assuming it was that.

myk said:

Only in early versions of the game. Their attacks were originally similar to the chainsaw attack (short range hitscan), but were made like other monster melee attacks for version 1.5 an on. I'm guessing it's not possible for demons to attack each other, short of some bizarre memory-related glitch causing data to get mixed up.

Bad idea from id, because that chainsaw attack would make the blur artifact MUCH more useful in nightmare.

Mr. Chris said:

It happens quite a bit with Barons/Hell Knights with me, the Demon doing it just as much but what's funny is I've seen an Imp do this to a former human a couple of times.

an imp gibbing a former human? what damage "overdose" does a target need in doom to gib? (in quake it was something like -50 hp iirc)

The most common non hitscan infighting pairs I see are Imp/Demon, Demon/Cacodemon or Baron/Revenant / Hell Knight/Revenant.

knights and revenants make a good infighting pair, since the player can guide the revenant missiles towards the knights and they're a close match for each other (the knight has more hp and less pain chance but the revenant does insane damage when his punches connect). i try to arrange them a meeting whenever i see them together in a map.

Hitscan infighting is among my favorite since I find it amusing for the humans to gun each other down.

chaingunners are the best bet for this, they can take down much stronger monsters if their gun keeps them in pain state. i find chaingunners vs imps particularly amusing. or generally a room full of zombiemen placed as cannon fodder with chaingunners or mancubi in the background.

printz said:

Bad idea from id, because that chainsaw attack would make the blur artifact MUCH more useful in nightmare.

agreed. i've seen modified demons that leap at you, i think in cheogsh.wad, do such demons infight if they hit each other?