Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brandon D. Lade

Which Ultimate Doom megawad is best?

Which Ultimate Doom megawad (of these) is best?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ultimate Doom megawad (of these) is best?

• Invasion
    • Vengeance
    • 2002 A Doom Odyssey
    • The Beginning of the End
    • Extremal Doom
    • RAGE Doom

There are not that many good or decent Ultimate Doom megawads out there, but there are a handful. Of this bunch, which is what I could find, which one do you think is the best?

Note: If you are unfamiliar with any/some of these, links to their downloads can be found in my big list of good episodes/megawads on this thread.

gggmork said:

Do you know where I can find a big list of good episodes/megawads??

See the link on my first post. It starts about 3 or so posts down in the thread. Note that both of my first two posts in the thread involve the list, and that I did NOT include wads that were listed in the first (starting) post on the thread.

I was just being a sarcastic dick since that list was repeatedly bumped and linked to, hence the double question marks.
Besides the point that you can already sort by stars at idgames for a list of 'best' wads (according to mean averages of people who bother to rate), if i was interested in the averaged opinion of masses, I'd think elected presidents were good leaders and christians had logical ideas.
Averaged opinions of random people become relatively meaningless for art/aesthetic related things. Opinions on what's good in doom vary based on skill, gameplay preferences, etc. If I want to find wads I don't currently know of, it would make more sense to get recommendations from people who have a similar mindset as me (like amazon.com's 'people who bought __ also bought __'), rather than opinions of random people.

Khorus said:

Trying to find "The Best" in a group of art is destructive imo.

I agree. Further, it's extremely subjective, and many of the criteria people use to judge -- consciously or unconsciously -- are entirely irrational.

Being that I played through episodes 1 through 3 completely and partially through episode 4 of 2002ADO on UV skill, I would say the mentioned megawad above since it was one of the few Doom megawads I actually bothered to play though which kept a good balance of action with puzzles.

esselfortium said:

I'm a ticket!

And i'm a ticket machine! Let's have a good night! But to be serious, Xenus Revisited (Nothing's better than self-promotion)

belphegore said:

I think most of the levels in those episodes are good; however, 2 of these episodes are rated under 4 stars on /idgames. So using the rules I outlined in my massive list of good Doom levels, I cannot consider these to be good levels.

This is exactly what I posted about in a reply to JhonnyRancid, the other thread. Someone who does not consider a WAD good because other people have not decided it's good. "Hey, if the mass doesn't like it, I guess it's not good."

I find it hard to believe people can actually "judge" that way (short of when they're just trolling), but after seeing a documentary about Daniel Johnston last night, I guess anything is possible :p

Brandon, it's really cute that you think your lists are important, but it's getting ridiculous. First, Serenity, Eternity and Infinity are good wads. Second, we all have the ability to look Doomworld's /idgames database and see the populace's aggregate opinions for ourselves, so your lists, without any additional descriptions and appraisal, are not profoundly useful.

Ok so I agree that the lists are too subjective and too open to interpretation to be used as any sort of useful guide as to what constitutes a set of 'best' wads.

But on the other hand, these lists have brought to my attention many wads that i probably would not have otherwise have heard of. And I actually think that is not a bad thing at all.

Hell, if wads are being brought to people's attention and those people are playing them, then who cares? Lets not get too fussed about someone who likes making lists and comparing wads with each other. Let the guy contribute as he sees fit. It's not doing any harm.

Kyka said:
Ok so I agree that the lists are too subjective and too open to interpretation to be used as any sort of useful guide as to what constitutes a set of 'best' wads.

Subjective lists are better, actually, because they're personal. It's "objective" ones that are a mess, especially when they follow silly premises (such as "if it has more than 3 stars").

Hell, if wads are being brought to people's attention and those people are playing them, then who cares?

That the lists may call some WADs to attention has already been accounted for. Of course, the database already has a find "top rated" function, so they're not too relevant. As for who cares; anyone with any creative tact, able to understand that if you're going to make recommendations, they'll have to come from your own independent judgment. If one isn't confident in one's own ability to recommend directly, why do it?

Also, if we'll be having tons of these "whats the best blah blah WAD" threads or polls you'll start to see them in Post Hell.

And I was so looking forward to posting a "What sort of poll should we do next?" poll. Foiled again :(

Creaphis said:

Serenity, Eternity and Infinity are good wads.

They are in your opinion, and they are for the vast majority in my opinion too. But that doesn't mean that they are in the entire community's overall opinion, as evidenced by the fact that two of the episodes, as mentioned above, have less than 4 stars on /idgames. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I believe all 3 of them had under 4 stars. And I don't play or deal with wads rated less than 4 stars, no matter what I may think of them. In other words, just the fact that a wad has less than 4 stars on /idgames is enough alone to stop me from thinking that it is a good wad in my opinion.

However, if these wads eventually all have 4 stars or better, I WILL add them to the list. So start throwing in 5s on them, cause eventually it ought to get there!

yeah! And Brittney Spears makes the best fucking music. Because billboard told me so.

Brandon D. Lade said:
However, if these wads eventually all have 4 stars or better, I WILL add them to the list. So start throwing in 5s on them, cause eventually it ought to get there!

You gotta be trolling.