Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

I need S-Video Experts

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could answer a question for me about s-video. Doomworld members are usually tech knowledgeable so I thought I'd ask here.

So, I used to have an s-video cable that connected from my computer to TV. However, it was just video, no sound.

This time, I'm looking forward to connecting from my computer to TV with both video and sound. What kind of cable do I need for this?

I'm not sure if the cable should have an s-video connection on one end from the computer with the other end with s-video and audio connections. Or does the cable need both audio and video connections from both sides?

Any links would be appreciated. Thanks.

You'll need an adapter that is headphones to RED/WHITE audio cables adapter with both male ends. I use one to play music with my old stereo system back home.

Whenever I hooked my laptop to the TV in my college dorm room, I would simply bring my speakers along with it giving me just as good if not better sound than what it would sound like through the TV.

The above answers are approved by Maes's Seal of Wisdom.

Since the original question is about making the sound coming out of the TV though, then a headphones to RCA adapter cable (the "white-red" thingamabob) is what you need. If your TV is high-end enough to have an S-Video input, it should also have separate RCA audio inputs.

If your TV is high-end enough to have an S-Video input...

I always thought most low-to-mid range TVs came equipped with an S-Video port. My SDTV which is around 5-6 years old or so has both S-Video and Component (as well as composite, obviously) jacks on the back of it. I seriously doubt there's really much to be gained by using component video input on a standard definition TV running at 480i, but it's there. :P

As for sound, I know the S-video jack on my TV (and several other TV's I've used) share the red/white audio input with a regular composite input group on the back of the TV.

In recent years, S-Video inputs have been appearing on cheaper CRT TVs. My CRT is as old as yours; it's 25" and only has Composite. It cost me about US$225.

Component supports up to 1080i but all you're gaining on an SDTV is some color accuracy and more visible blur. Moreover, there are better options for HDTV so it's pretty pointless. I hooked up my PS2 to an LCD TV through Component which looked good, so there's that...

AgentSpork said:

I always thought most low-to-mid range TVs came equipped with an S-Video port.

You're not looking low-end enough, then ;-)

It's unlikely you'll find an S-video input (or even stereo audio) on those "bachelor" 14" to 21" CRT TVs which are so cheap now. Typically they only come equipped with a single scart and frontal composite and (mono) audio RCA inputs. I've only seen S-Video on say, TVs over a certain price/class mark.