Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SYS

South African gangs use rape to "cure" lesbians

Not to start a "Is homosexuality a choice or a born trait?" thread, but this level of logic is more incentive for women to want to shun men altogether. "We're going to make you lesbian turn hetero by raping you!" The idea that damaging women emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually will make them love men. Fucking Ridiculous:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090313/world/international_us_safrica_rape_lesbian

By Rebecca Harrison
ADVERTISEMENT

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Gangs of South African men are raping lesbians in the belief it will "cure" the women's sexual orientation, an aid agency said Friday. NGO ActionAid said in a report titled "Hate Crimes: the rise of corrective rape in South Africa" lesbians were increasingly at risk of rape, particularly in South African townships where homosexuality is largely taboo.

South Africa has one of the world's most progressive constitutions and became the first country in Africa to allow gay marriage in 2006, but homosexuality is still widely frowned upon and same-sex unions are often decried as "un-African."

The brutal rape and murder last year of female soccer player Eudy Simelane, a lesbian, threw a spotlight on homophobic violence, particularly toward women.

"We get insults every day, beatings if we walk alone, you are constantly reminded that you deserve to be raped," ActionAid quoted one lesbian as saying. "They yell, 'if I rape you then you will go straight, you will buy skirts and start to cook because you will have learnt how to be a real woman'."

One lesbian and gay support group told ActionAid it was dealing with 10 new cases of lesbians being targeted for what it called "corrective rape" every week in Cape Town alone.

Thirty one lesbians have been reported murdered in homophobic attacks since 1998, but support groups say the actual number is probably much higher because crimes on the basis of sexual orientation are not recognized in the South African criminal justice system, ActionAid said.

Of the 31 cases, only two cases were brought to South African courts and there has been only one conviction. South Africa has one of the world highest rates of rape but activists say very few cases end in conviction, and women's groups say police and the justice system have failed to tackle the problem.

ActionAid estimates there are 500,000 rapes in South Africa every year.

It said the police were particularly reluctant to investigate crimes against lesbians and said support for survivors was inadequate.

I propose arming all lesbians with semiautomatic handguns to fend off these disgusting creatures.

That's about as bad as straight female gangs looking to rape gay men.

SuperSlammer2 said:

Yeah, what the heck

We should just nuke those south African bastards

Yeah fight fire with fire. That'll solve our problems.

:rolleyes:

From the continent that thinks having sex with a virgin will cure your AIDS.
*thumbs up*

There are racist statements, and then there are true statements such as "South Africans are fucked up."

Yes, I realize that all of the problems down there are due to white meddling in some way or other. But, even if it's not their fault that they're fucked up they're still fucked up. When a toaster won't toast, it's broken, even if it didn't break itself.

I have an aunt and uncle living there right now (my uncle is Zulu). Their house is repeatedly broken into and the Christian college they run together down there requires an ever-present security staff. Not because the local populace has anything against Christianity, but just because it's a really shitty place to be.

Creaphis said:

...which distracted Kristus from the next, even more flagrant departure from decency.

Ack. I didn't even get that far. :p

SuperSlammer2 said:

Now that I look at it, that phrase looks downright hateful. Its not what I meant

If anyone was unsure of your hatefulness, the "nuke" comment sure cemented it.

"Curing" is merely a pretext none of those criminals really believe in. It just gives them what they think is a moral excuse for indulging in hate crimes.

These South African gangs should obviously be raped until they're gay, then they'll understand the Lesbian's sexual preference and respect their choice.

Nah, they should just die. It's kind of shocking how stuff like this actually happens... what drives people to generate so much hate towards someone else that they would want to kill or rape someone? I honestly can't fathom how it is possible... maybe because by nature I'm not violent, although I'm in support of the death penalty.

I essentially have a rule in life: never go to Africa.

Every other place in the world is interesting and worth visiting on some trip at some point (except for maybe the Middle East), but Africa... well... Africa has shitty weather, poverty, roving gangs who rape and murder innocent people (including tourists), they also have the Ebola virus, AIDS in mass effect, and these little tiny fish that will crawl up your urine stream and infect your urethra if you decide to take a leak near water.

Don't go there unless you're with the red cross, I always say.

Butts said:

Nah, they should just die. It's kind of shocking how stuff like this actually happens... what drives people to generate so much hate towards someone else that they would want to kill or rape someone? I honestly can't fathom how it is possible... maybe because by nature I'm not violent, although I'm in support of the death penalty.

If the circumstances were right, you could become just like them. Don't pretend you're above the very same fundamentally flawed human nature that is being exposed with these people for what it is.

Aseph said:

I essentially have a rule in life: never go to Africa.

Every other place in the world is interesting and worth visiting on some trip at some point (except for maybe the Middle East), but Africa... well... Africa has shitty weather, poverty, roving gangs who rape and murder innocent people (including tourists), they also have the Ebola virus, AIDS in mass effect, and these little tiny fish that will crawl up your urine stream and infect your urethra if you decide to take a leak near water.

Don't go there unless you're with the red cross, I always say.

I've been to 6 countries in Africa (Egypt is, in a lot of ways, more Middle Eastern than African though) and I felt pretty safe the whole time. (In fact, it may have been the most fascinating and enjoyable vacation I've been on.) The important thing is that we avoided dangerous countries, like Zimbabwe or the DRC, as well as Johannesberg and the more unsafe parts of Cape Town. I have discovered that you can travel to a lot of places as long as you know the risks and can figure out what parts of the world are safer, and in a lot of cases the risks involved can be worth it. As I said, the two trips to Africa I took were absolutely incredible.

Then again, I'm a fairly adventurous traveler...if you are convinced that Africa is entirely unsafe then that's fine too.

Aseph said:

These South African gangs should obviously be raped until they're gay, then they'll understand the Lesbian's sexual preference and respect their choice.

raped until they're gay

their choice

and how do you figure that it works this way?