Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andwan0

HELP: Hexen stuck/woes!!!

I've been following the official Hexen walkthrough at http://www.raven-games.com/hxwalk/e2solve.php#swamp_1

I need desperate help in Hexen, 2nd episode/level (Dark Mere, Haunted Woods, etc. hub).

I got all keys (Swamp, Horny, & Cave). And I've unlocked 5 of the 6 switches. The last switch I cannot get to is: Caves of Circe (getting the Cave Key)... and it uses the Swamp key (see above URL)

I have been through ALL the caves and killed all the monsters... but cannot get to the upper cave with the TOP of the fast moving river/waterfall. I check the map and found the entrace... but it's blocked!

:( help!!!! - I really don't want to use noclip to cheat...

I remember being stuck around the exact same spot. Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, but I remember flipping all the switches but one of the switch indicators at the end of the hub never lit up. I just noclipped through the door and away I went...

I'm not sure which switch you're talking about that you can't access.

It isn't really that hard to find. Since you already got all keys all passages have already been unlocked. Just go to the southwestern part of the caves to where the portal to Darkmere can be found. The switch is in a side passage that branches from the one that connects the portal with the caves.

So if you have trouble getting there from the main cave use the detour via Darkmere and the portal connecting it with the caves.

One thing I don't understand. You say you already got the Cave key (and you have to if you already found 5 switches) so you must already have been in the upper cave you are describing.

That door should open if you kill the brown Chaos Serpents in the key cave.

However, if you absolutely can't get it to open go the route via Darkmere and you also get to where you need to get.

That is one tricky level, I remember it took me a long time to figure it out, and, unfortunately, I didn't have a comprehensive online FAQ to help me, just a (very) short walkthrough in an issue of EGM2.

I also got stuck in Hexen, now I really got: in that HUB 4 map with that axe key in it, after I got into the boss chamber and killed all the monsters, the Heresiarch did NOT spawn any more (and I was locked inside as well, as it was normal). Any hint on this? I was playing the Mage. Is there a scripting loophole that hangs the gameplay?

Yes, there's a bug in one of the scripts:

When you enter the area 4 Chaos Serpents are spawned and the following script is started:

script 13(void)
{
    until(thingcount(T_DEMON, 0) == 3)
    {
        delay(const:210);
    }
    Door_Open(const:28, 32);
    tagwait(const:28);
    Stairs_BuildDownSync(const:18, 8, 16, 0);
}
I think you can imagine what happens if the amount of these drops from 4 to 2 or less during the 6 second delay...

Graf Zahl said:

Yes, there's a bug in one of the scripts:

When you enter the area 4 Chaos Serpents are spawned and the following script is started:

script 13(void)
{
    until(thingcount(T_DEMON, 0) == 3)
    {
        delay(const:210);
    }
    Door_Open(const:28, 32);
    tagwait(const:28);
    Stairs_BuildDownSync(const:18, 8, 16, 0);
}
I think you can imagine what happens if the amount of these drops from 4 to 2 or less during the 6 second delay...

Interesting..

Hexen is the best Doom engine on par with Duke 3D engine (if we're taking into account of only official releases). I just love the moving, rotating, pushable sectors/walls... totally reminds me of Duke3D levels.. I never imagined Doom engine could do that stuff... ACS...

printz said:

I also got stuck in Hexen, now I really got: in that HUB 4 map with that axe key in it, after I got into the boss chamber and killed all the monsters, the Heresiarch did NOT spawn any more (and I was locked inside as well, as it was normal). Any hint on this? I was playing the Mage. Is there a scripting loophole that hangs the gameplay?

For skills 1 through 3, just wait until the stairs lower, since 3 appear. For skils 4 and 5, just kill one chaos serpent and then wait.