Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MmM

Cherub

Gotta churn out at least one DOOM sculpt a year or my DoomWorld membership will get revoked. :D

Materials:
Newsprint, Kleenex, white/hot glue, wire twist ties, plastic, and acrylic paint.

Dimensions*:
(*The size values for this figure will vary to some extent depending on how the joints are positioned, particularly the wings. The numbers given assume a maximum horizontal wingspan.)

6.3 cm/2.5 in. x 4.1 cm/1.6 in. (widest point x highest point)

Articulation:
Thirteen points; neck (2), wings (4), shoulders (2), elbows (4), and waist.

Time:
Two days; March 14 and 15, 2009.

Here's a couple of Cherub mid-construction photos from the second day. I actually lost the neck pictured here and had to make a new one (naturally, much profanity ensued). Fortunately, that ended up working out for the best, as I think the new one looks better--the original was a tad too thick and the throat muscles were too well defined for a baby. I also lost one of the wings while I was attaching them to the Cherub's back (extremely infuriating, because, unlike the neck, said wing was painted and almost complete), so, I ended up having to make five of those. I did find the neck later on, but that small piece of transparent plastic, even with a black paint wash on it--which one would think would make it more visible, still continues to elude me (it doesn't help that the area I work in is a complete disaster area either). I'm sure I'll rediscover it one of these days . . . most likely in an unpleasant fashion when I tread upon it with bare feet.

Sick. They should have put them in the Doom movie!!! Infected babies boo!

Oh man I hated these things. If I wanted to be a stickler I would say that the face doesen't match to that from the actual game, but quite frankly it looks great.

Also, good choice by not making it's body too defined. The wings are spectacular.

Awesome work MmM!

"Gotta churn out at least one DOOM sculpt a year or my DoomWorld membership will get revoked. :D"

wow so I have to wait a full year just to see another Doom related figure from you, talk about lazy ;)

I'm surprised it's not at the same scale as a real fly considering how small you've been working :D

printz said:

Sick. They should have put them in the Doom movie!!! Infected babies boo!

They should have put anything remotely related to Doom in the Doom movie. Kickass sculpture as usual MmM.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Inferno: I agree that the face could be better; it's tricky for me to do features on a head that small. There's some asymmetry as well, which is always something I struggle with.

Shapeless: Well, chances are that I'll make more than one DOOM sculpture this year (I did three last year, and three Quake ones as well). I've been meaning to make a Cherub for a while now--the other current DOOM frontrunners for getting the sculpting treatment are a Bruiser from the DOOM 3 expansion, an original Pinky, or a six-legged Arachnotron from DOOM 64. I'm not promising I will, or won't, make those characters, they're just the ones that tend to pop up the most frequently when I'm contemplating a new DOOM sculpting project.