Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

Funniest monster infighting pairing?

A room full of lost souls spawned by a pain elemental which results in a massive infight, especially when a revenant tries to punch its way out

Torr Samaho said:

agreed. i've seen modified demons that leap at you, i think in cheogsh.wad, do such demons infight if they hit each other?

Dunno about cheogsh, but about KDiZD and Maulers, they rarely appear in groups and rarely expose each others to their charges, but theoretically they should infight if accidentally hurt...

Doctor Faust said:

I love it - still no idea why they disabled this feature in later releases.

In modern source-ports it’s an option.

Torr Samaho said:

an imp gibbing a former human? what damage "overdose" does a target need in doom to gib? (in quake it was something like -50 hp iirc)

A zombieman to be precise, who was likely on the very last HP of his.

The Zombieman will need to have 4 or less HP, and the Imp ball needs to do max damage (24). A Zombieman has 20 hp, so its gib health is -20 hp

InsanityBringer said:

The Zombieman will need to have 4 or less HP, and the Imp ball needs to do max damage (24). A Zombieman has 20 hp, so its gib health is -20 hp

It was an Imp melee attack btw.

Any killing attack can gib. The only requirement is that the killing attack reduces the health far enough below 0.

Vermil said:

Any killing attack can gib. The only requirement is that the killing attack reduces the health far enough below 0.

How far?

TheeXile said:

How far?

I believe its its health past zero.
In example, the zombieman has 20 health, so you need to reduce its health to at least -20 to gib it.

As far as I know, you cannot gib anything bigger then a Imp

I've seen everything from zombiemen to Barons get ripped up by a Double Chaingunner (custom DECORATE monster based off chaingunner).

Mr. Chris said:

I've seen everything from zombiemen to Barons get ripped up by a Double Chaingunner (custom DECORATE monster based off chaingunner).

And to think I was planning to implement the DC in Doom 1 :)

OT: I already did for my personal conglamaration WAD used for Oblige 0.97 along with 20 other DECORATE based monsters.

Butts said:

Chaingunners can get gibbed, and they are "bigger" than imps.

True enough.
But pinkys and higher cannot due to weapon damage limits.

Which makes me wonder, with a custom weapon that does a higher damage amount, do the bigger creatures actually go into a 'gibbed' state.

eargosedown said:

True enough.

Which makes me wonder, with a custom weapon that does a higher damage amount, do the bigger creatures actually go into a 'gibbed' state.

Maybe they could if they had gibbing animations. I've always theorized about that.

Probably when zombiemen get into fights with each other and ends up gibbing the other. Not sure if this is possible in the PC version, but I've seen it happen in the Playstation and Saturn versions.

TheeXile said:

Maybe they could if they had gibbing animations. I've always theorized about that.

i don't see why this wouldn't be possible today, along with damage skins (a bloodied look for monsters on their last hitpoints).

Mattfrie1 said:

Probably when zombiemen get into fights with each other and ends up gibbing the other. Not sure if this is possible in the PC version, but I've seen it happen in the Playstation and Saturn versions.

How? They only have hitscan weapons which don't gib at all...unless one accidently sets off a barrel, killing themselves.

In other words, I heard (behind a door) a lost soul gibbing a former human only because I set its melee damage to 4 (as opposed to default 3)

Hitscan weapons could gib a (non-standard) monster, but it would need to have a starting health of 14 points or less. The PlayStation version must have different rules (or a weaker zombieman).

With the standard weapons, demons could hypothetically be gibbed with a rocket, but very rarely. Otherwise, a direct hit from a BFG would be capable of gibbing anything up to an arch-vile. The rest (baron of hell and up), would need a telefrag.

myk said:

With the standard weapons, demons could hypothetically be gibbed with a rocket, but very rarely. Otherwise, a direct hit from a BFG would be capable of gibbing anything up to an arch-vile. The rest (baron of hell and up), would need a telefrag.

Unless you modify the BFG damage to above 100 :) I have mine set to 250 so it extinguishes the boss monsters faster.

I still think it would have been funny to see a demon gib animation since it's still small enough to be splattered if at a very low health.

eargosedown said:

True enough.

Why not? Gibbing should be possible for any monster up to the archvile. The most damaging single entity in the game is the large BFG green plasma ball, which can do a maximum of 800 HP of damage.

This means that, especially if already hurt, it could easily gib pinkies (150 HP), revvies (300 HP), PRs and Cacos (400 HP, the limit for a full HP->gibbing kill), Hell Knights and Arachnotrons (500 HP), Manci (600 HP) and even Archviles (700 HP)!

I dunno how probable an 800 HP direct damage hit from the BFG is, though, but I don't see why it couldn't gib the above monsters, if they were taken below the necessary threshold and they had the proper animations ;-)

PS: @myk: sorry I didn't see your reply :-/

OK, how about a monster self-gibbing then? Now THAT would really be funny! Hmm...a berserked marine attacking his voodoo doll...