Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarthQuake

Icon of Sin (Photoshop Edit)

I decided to spend some time in Photoshop today to see if my graphic editing skills had rusted from disuse, but I'm fairly happy with what I churned out today.

Observe:

And here's a comparison of the original Icon of Sin moments after I started editing it:

I had to do a bit of improvisation, as I had no idea what the skull would have looked like without the hole. Also, there were some dark parts on either temple, which I removed. I removed all the pipes, tubes, and other junk to see how close I could get it to looking "natural". My plans were to use it as a base for a larger marble texture, but who knows what I'll do with it now.

Feel free to use it in whatever project you want, or modify to suit your needs. Just credit me somewhere. Also, I'd appreciate any criticism/comments as per usual. Took about an hour and a half.

Cool. You're probably a Doom hero with this. We can make anything out of that head: monsters, bosses, textures, scarecrows...

That looks slick. Those bare jawbone hinges look so unusual because I'm used to seeing some protruding red cables around that area. :P

Thanks for the replies guys.

Also thanks for the mousepad photo. I figured there was supposed to be some sort of bulge on the forehead, and I tried to account for that a bit, but it turned out a little flat in comparison to the photo. I still think I did okay, despite not having anything to use as a reference.

Oh and animation is a bit out of my league. I've only animated one monster before, and the amount of sprites required were pretty few. I just don't really like spending enormous amounts of time on one thing. Burns me out easily.

EarthQuake said:

My plans were to use it as a base for a larger marble texture, but who knows what I'll do with it now.

that's the most logical use for this image imo. complements the existing demon heads on marble well.

as for enjay's zdoom thread, those are some interesting monsters, especially the octabrain-like aracnorb.

You could take Heretic's Lich and impose that onto the sprites and scale it up really large to make it into a formal boss monster.

</random idea>

Wow. Forehead flat or not, you really cleaned up the original head nicely. Lots of kudos here.

Both the 'natural' Icon of Sin and the textures are very very good. Nice work. :)

Nice. If i want to be picky, I'd say the extra lines above the brow on yours give it a kinder surprise expression a bit (the expression that dumb egg guy makes after he says 'toooooy'). And maybe the 'whiskers' could be removed since the wiring was removed. And its hard to imagine what the hole should look like but perhaps somehow continuing the complexity could look better, though could be risky that it might look worse, and plain works fine.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I feel so spoiled. It's not even really all that special, just a couple of textures and a source image.

gggmork: Yeah, I agree with everything you said. It does reveal a bit less complexity, but I was afraid of adding something that might not exist "behind" the hole. It's just like the Moon: given how much we see the moon from Earth, you'd think there'd be some really exciting features on the dark side, but that is quite contrary to the actual truth. The other side is barren and doesn't exhibit any craters or dark spots like the other side.

That's sort of how I approached this project. Besides, looking at the phone card photo posted, I think I like it better without the huge forehead bulge. :)

I'll probably be doing a few more variations of the textures before I add them to my "library", so I'll post those here at a later date.

These are looking great. Props! :D

One (somewhat minor) thing bothers me, though. The forehead looks a little *too* flat. See the "bump" on the box art JohnnyRancid posted? It would look a little nicer with that, I reckon. :P

EarthQuake said:

Looking at the phone card photo posted, I think I like it better without the huge forehead bulge. :)

Me to, actually. Just think the bump looks stupid, to be honest.

Looks nice, exelent job.

Interesting thought: Im not sure why, but seeing one of these things with its mouth wide open would really freak me out. Especially if the lower jaw dropped further than usual.

It's not a big thing, but i actually think the bump makes it look more evil... as if in some way, it means there is a more evil, sinister mind behind the skull.

EarthQuake said:

That's a phone card!? I thought it was a mouse pad. lolol

It's a phone card for the visually impaired. ;-)
Nice textures - I've added them to the collection.