Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FBI

Wintex Sound Crash

Hi guys.

I had this problem years ago but can't remember how to fix it.

Every time I try to play a sound or select a sound in Wintex [1], Wintex orashes and gives me the option to close or ignore [2]. Ignoring it only tells me there's a protection fault in LBWINTEX.DLL [3].

Anyone able to help?

UPDATE: It also does it when trying to create a new entry, regardless of what it is.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Now it's telling me I've got too many WADS open!? What the hell Wintex? I tried installing a copy of Wintex 5.0 in a different directory, but it's saying the same thing [1].

Use better software! Wintex is old and problems are to be expected. There's newer WAD managers like XWE and SLumpEd that are a lot more powerful and flexible.

Not in Tasmania it isn't. Maybe I can smuggle a copy to you via snail-mail - or you could take SlumpEd for a test drive.

I'm having no such problems with WinTex 5 on a dual-core Athlon running XP Pro. What are you using?

WinTex isn't bad, only it's interface is somewhat archaic. SlumpEd isn't really more powerful as far as editing features are concerned, and XWE is buggier.

What operating system are you using? Is it Vista? If so, right click the executable and choose "run as administrator". Maybe it's not letting the program write a temp file to disk, or something like that.

myk said:

WinTex isn't bad, only it's interface is somewhat archaic.

I could live with that. What's much worse it that it tries to guess the contents of a lump and as a result may unintentionally screw up data that's intended for modern ports.

As for XWE being buggier, I doubt that. Although I don't trust it I trust Wintex even less.

I'm using Windows XP at the momenet. I had the problem on 98 many years ago too.

As for Wintex over XWE, I trust it more to be honest. XWE is ok, but I've found the interface to be rubbish. In Wintex, I can at least hold the down key down and scroll through sprites or something visually, wheras in XWE, you "must" click them, you can't just scroll or hold down, another annoyance.

Wintexs' ability to screw things up into a LMP file sucks.

Anyone able to get me in contact with Olivier Monatuy.

EDIT:
IT'S FIXED! FOR NO REASON IT'S NOW FIXED.

I feel so happy again, now I can continue making mods. Thanks for the help guys =)

The latest beta does some weird shit (aside from possibly needing certain non-evident setting in Vista). Besides, during PL2 development it kept corrupting TEXTURE1.

I use XWE more than WinTex because of some features, but with care :p

Graf has a point in that it also depends on what you're doing.

Well. I suppose it's relative. I've been using it for 4 projects now. And it's been fairly solid. It has more bugs than is entirely comfortable. But I've never had it corrupt my resources.

The most annoying thing I've had happen to me was when I had the textures in Nimrod and later also with my Heretic mod all starting to animated in Zdoom because something happening with the textures lump in XWE. IIRC Graf fixed it for Nimrod when he added support for it to GZdoom. But When it happened in my heretic project. I just removed the Texture lumps and made the changes over again.

I use Wintex 5 exclusively and I've never seen this problem. Wish I could help further. Maybe it doesn't like your OS?