Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

I'm working on DVII-2i and will be revising all existing maps (from DVII-1i) as well as creating new ones. Now that the first edition's been out for quite awhile, there's been enough time to reflect on the flaws of the existing maps that I'm itching to fix.

Most of the death exits will be removed, these death exits were a bad idea and making the speed demos uninteresting to watch. Die.

Now, I need your input on what can be fixed/added/improved in the original maps. If you see some stuff that you want fixed or added... give me the nitty gritty details, screenshots definitely helps.

The release will be when I'm satisfied with everything.

MORE MEMES! MORE CAMEOS!

Spoiler

MOAR COCK!

actually don't do the last one.

can't wait to see what you'll do with this.

Might I suggest removing some of the trees and the like from that Chinese island map? Its just that even in ZDoom with a low resolution on a high-end laptop (for a year ago...) that still chopped quite a bit.

I'd also appreciate a bit more of a clue as to where I'm going in the unholy cathedral, as that map stopped me stone dead last time.

Good to see you're back, Doom Marine! I look forward to this new version of DV2! BTW, I've imported some of the DV2 textures into my
Journey of Hell magawad project, is that OK?

I'm pretty sure the second edition of DV-II new maps'll be based off your favorite slaughter maps... a few of them, anyway. I enjoyed the first edition... except for the one map where you have to run from those afrits.

My suggestions for improvements:

-Do something about those skip maps - they are annoying.

-Remove the easy exits; you already said you'd do this though.

-Make Map22 harder on the first 2 skills (don't have it only throwing caco's at you).

-Remove any optionality in playing Map29.

-Find a better idea for Map30 - the current Map30 is pointless.

-Whatever maps the secret levels are off of, make sure you return to the proper map. If you leave in the Map29 secret exit right near the start, return the player to the beginning of Map29, so he/she has to play the entire map.

-Improve Map03's framerate.

Despite all of that, I throughly enjoyed the 1st edition and look forward to even more in the new edition.

Brandon D. Lade said:

-Do something about those skip maps - they are annoying.

MLYP

-Remove any optionality in playing Map29.

You've missed the point of map29.

FIX THAT GREEN MAP WITH 1000 ENEMIES IN ONE LONG CORRIDOR WHICH SERVES NO PURPOSEFUL GAMEPLAY OTHER THAN TO SLOW YOUR COMPUTER TO A CRAWL

Please?

rf` said:

FIX THAT GREEN MAP WITH 1000 ENEMIES IN ONE LONG CORRIDOR WHICH SERVES NO PURPOSEFUL GAMEPLAY OTHER THAN TO SLOW YOUR COMPUTER TO A CRAWL

Please?

Doom Marine had seen 300 that day and just had to try to put it in doom.

Hey map30 is awesome.

tree maze in map03 could be a little less confusing though. that map took forever even on coop because we couldn't find where to go. also, i think in the horizontal-blue-lasers section of vrack4 might be broken sometimes. iirc essel and I both got stuck in there and couldn't do anything so we had to idclev. ooooor maybe we were missing something really obvious?

Csonicgo said:

Doom Marine had seen 300 that day and just had to try to put it in doom.

Well then I think he must have miscounted!!!

Tango said:

also, i think in the horizontal-blue-lasers section of vrack4 might be broken sometimes. iirc essel and I both got stuck in there and couldn't do anything so we had to idclev. ooooor maybe we were missing something really obvious?

Maybe you missed a switch, and the very last one is hard to find indeed : it's a target you have to shoot, and this target is on the back side of a switch mounted on a small grey pillar.

Watch the demos ;)

( Or maybe there's a special bug in Co-op mode, it works fine in Single Player )

____

Lemme rate Brandon's reply with only 3 stars, so that nobody should pay attention to it. That's the way it should work, right Brandon ? :)

_____

Maps 29 and 30 are fine the way they are, it's only a joke.
But now for DVII maybe we could hope for another kind of epic hellish map with Sauron's tower in it, before entering St Peter's Gate on said map 29.

As you already noticed, the real thing you have to improve is the ability to speedrun your maps in an interesting fashion, without ruining the other aspects of the gameplay.
Imho maybe you should get involved into speedrunning on classic wads, I'm sure it would help.

Good luck for making this Huy, I'm looking forward to being amazed once again !

( Protip : to get another Cacoward, rename the project into Deus Vult III :p )

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

Maybe you missed a switch, and the very last one is hard to find indeed : it's a target you have to shoot, and this target is on the back side of a switch mounted on a small grey pillar.

We shot at and humped every nearby wall and switch we could possibly find; I'm pretty sure something that was supposed to trigger didn't work because there were no switches left for us to shoot. :\

What about filling those skip-maps with actual maps instead?

Brandon D. Lade said:

-Improve Map03's framerate.

What are your system specifications and what engine do you use to play?

There's a reason Huy and I highly recommended everybody play with hardware rendering engines, and you sir, have found it.

It'd be cool if Doom Marine decided to make a map that actually took place inside the base of Stargate SG-1 as one of those filler maps. It'd make perfect sense, and could be in b4 a macgyver roll.

Another map like the mountain climbing adventure one. It would also be cool to revamp map 29 and make it all "new-and-improved". Oh, and a swamp themed map would be pretty cool too.

Oh, what about a map where you're fighting your way through the insides of a colossal monster. At least one of those would be great.

gun_psycho said:

Oh, what about a map where you're fighting your way through the insides of a colossal monster. At least one of those would be great.

like a giant worm?

about dv1: am i wrong or do hanging things block the player on map 5 (and blocks enemies thus screwing up enemy teleports on the 'map 3' chunk of map 5). Map 3 by itself works fine, just map 5 has hanging/block bugs apparently (like all those hanging things on the red winding stairs of 'chunk 2', and the 2 hanging things way up above the main enemy mass teleports near the beginning of 'chunk 3').

The Lag said:

like a giant worm?

It's a nice idea! (like in TVR! but much more crazy, it would be awesome)

Nice to see a second edition is coming, can't wait to play moar DVII.

Huy, I remember I mailed you a year ago about this map 30 because I wanted to see it improved for a complete long trek but it was just stupid hehe.

BTW I agree with Wilou : more epic maps would be nice, even if it would make the waiting longer.