Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raptir

What other Doom stuff is worth checking out?

I've played the games. And that's it. Is there any other doom-related material that I should look in to?

raptir said:

I've played the games.

Does that include Final Doom and Doom 64? If not, start there.

Don't forget the Master Levels for Doom 2, which are in the same vein as Final Doom.

I wholeheartedly endorse every product or service in this thread.

The idgames archive has tons and tons of user-created maps. Recommendations of those are a thread all of its own.
Final Doom has lots of good maps.
So does Doom 64, with a cool twist on the classic style.
Master Levels doesn't have as many, but there are some there I really like.
The comic will make you laugh, or cry. Maybe both.
The movie doesn't follow the games, but it's fun.

Go forth, and Doom! Doom 'till you can Doom no more!

There's lots of cool Doom stuff you can immerse yourself in, including but not limited to:
Play the best Doom add-ons from 1994 to 2003 and from 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
Make your own Doom levels.
Listen to the Doom & Doom II soundtracks or remixes.
Read and edit the Doom Wiki.
View a collection of Doom-related images.
Browse, download, watch, record & discuss Doom speedruns.
Chat with other Doom fans.
Play the board game.
Read the Doom 3 novels (I've heard they are far better than those based on classic Doom).

That link said there's a Masters of Doom movie in development. I wonder how that's going.

The Doom Comic is pure Gold.

I liked the Doom movie if for no reason other than The Rock.

There are thousands of WAD out there to mess with. Doom Comic and movie are both great. You can find a few doom mini games, even Doom visul pinball!

Thanks for all the tips. One other question. I've played all the official PC Doom games that I know of (Ultimate, Doom2, TNT/Plutonia, Chex Quest 1-3), but what about the console games? I know Doom64 is completely different. What's the best way to play that on a PC? Doom64 EX or Absolution? And what other versions are actually significantly different (As in, more difference than just different textures or something)? Thanks.

The BEST way to play Doom 64 is on the nintendo 64 itself, but absolution is pretty close to the original. You can also go through the trouble of setting up an emulator on your pc, but you still need the Doom 64 ROM. I recommend Absolution. Correct me if im wrong, but I think there are a few remakes of Jaguar Doom maps on the idgames database.

The console games in my eyes are pure gold. I would highly recommend the PlayStation version, which features colored lighting, New SFX and awesome ambient music, not to mention it also features Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and some awesome exclusive levels in the same package. The levels are simplified a bit, but nothing really noticeable. The same goes for PlayStation Final Doom as well, except a lot shorter and difficulty bumped down from the PC version. Doom 64 was awesome as well, and make sure you play the games on the original console! Emulation of the console Doom games pale in comparison to the real games themselves.