Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Wolfenstein on Gametrailers

Gametrailers TV has posted an interview with Brian Raffel, Eric Biessman and Michael Claussen of Raven Software, and Peter Sokal of id Software, about Wolfenstein. The interviewing is generally the same talk as always, but the video shows off a lot of in-game footage. Go check it out.

I hope its more the former and less the latter.

Meh. Looks like another ruined ip to me. Transdimensional powers? Antigravity weapons? Piss off Raven.

I'd figure there were some sci-fi wolfenstein mods for both wolf3d and wolfendoom. Some fad did get spawned off them, imagining the coolness of meeting the NAZI multiplanetary empire in 2100 -- however utopian it may seem.

Transdimensional or antigravity seems to make a similar, sci-fi-like, futuristic aproach.

For me personally, Wolfenstein only featured a passing nod to sci-fi with some of the baddies in the later episodes having mechanical bits and in some instances, having been experimented on leading to other somewhat bizarre traits/appearances. However, even when the style veered in this direction it was more kitsch than serious.

This new Wolfenstein throws that out the window and instead we get run of the mill serious shooter with novelty spiritual/occult/sci-if sillyness on top. In other words, if it wasn't for the name it could be any one of a hundred other FPS games.

It seems to me that there is one of those "random game idea" generators out there someplace...

Players must battle Nazis in futuristic, war-torn Europe using transdimensional powers and... (you get the idea)

Indeed, it looks like they took the tenuous ties to the occult found in Wolfenstein 3D and slathered it on by the spoonful. I enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but I thought the overt occultish areas, such as the zombie crypt felt tacked on and out of place. Now it looks like they're taking the parts that I liked the least of RTCW and making an entire game out of it. Seriously, bullet time? Who in the hell thought that putting bullet time in a WWII shooter was a good idea? I'll probably get it, since I love Wolfenstain, Id, and Raven, but it seems like they're trying to modernize it too much, and it just comes off as cliched. Leave the gimmicky gameplay up to the people that do it well, and just be comfortable making old fashioned, and yet kick ass games without bullet time and dark magic occult night vision.

I am glad to see they put iron sight aiming in the game though.

dutch devil said:

killing nazis never gets boring.

That's the silver lining of WW2, really. What would we be killing if it never happened?

hopefully there will be an actual release date posted soon. It just says it's coming out in 2009. I can't wait to play it!

dutch devil said:

killing nazis never gets boring.

Yup.

I, like others, would be happy if they just left it at that. For me, the best bits of RtCW were the bits that made me feel as if I'd been dropped into one of those cheesy old WWII movies. MoHAA tried to give us "Private Ryan", and I enjoyed it, but RtCW gave us "Where Eagles Dare" and I enjoyed that too. I even enjoyed the crypt sections, some of which were pretty creepy, even though they were less to do with putting lead into Nazis than I wanted. However, by the time I was fighting somersaulting Nazi ninja bitches in leather and scantily clad (in an entirely non-1940s way) gothic occult witches I was totally bored and only playing to see how it turned out.

My internet is too slow to watch the whole thing. Did they mention/do you know what engine they are using? I suppose a modified Doom3 one?

I like it. I like it more than RTCW. I like the energy weapons, magic and bizzare technology. Its way better than having Wolfenstein transformed into another WW2 simulation. We already have Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Day of Defeat. I want nazi zombies with energy rifles, crazy gothic witches and biblical artifacts!
And i want Hitler, Hitler with mechanical suit armed with multiple machineguns and magical devices - this is the only think i dont like about new Wolfenstein so far.

Concerning RTCW - the nazi ninja Frauleins were a bit too much. Also boss was pure crap. Hope they will come up with someone more original now.

Yeah. I don't understand why the final boss always is such a pushover. Like the RTCW boss. He sure died fast for being immortal.

The bullet-time and fake German accents make me cringe. Somehow this does look like it might be neat, though.

Is it just me or did they turn BJ Blazkowicz into Max Payne?

NeoWorm said:

I like it. I like it more than RTCW. I like the energy weapons, magic and bizzare technology. Its way better than having Wolfenstein transformed into another WW2 simulation. We already have Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Day of Defeat. I want nazi zombies with energy rifles, crazy gothic witches and biblical artifacts!

agree with you. the mystical and bizarre part is what made rtcw different from the whole rest of ww2 games. there's a lot of "realism" ww2 themed games now, i don't think another one would sell that well. but mysterious nazi experiments, that was the theme of the very first wolfenstein.

of course, raven should keep out silly stuff like leather clad ninja bitches, that ruined the mood in rtcw.

In all honesty, it's looking like the upcoming Velvet Assassin will probably be a better Wolfenstein game than this will. =P

Vermil said:

Indeed, NecroVision start's off as a "WW1 version of Wolf3D with trenches" :p

it looks promising, at least in the graphics department with its agreeable dark and gritty style.

Wow, that guy is the one who designed the Heretic levels?

Though I wish id were the ones to make Wolfenstein. They are the kings of 3d shooters, whatever you may say. But since they're actually making Doom 4, which as a franchise is > Wolfenstein in my book, then it's all for the MUCH better.