Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jplstatic

Anyone have a 3D Scanner?

I'm sure this is about like asking to borrow someone's ferrari or possibly has more of a similarity to asking if anyone has some fabric from the robe of Jesus or something but...

Does anyone that frequents these forums have access to a real-life 3D scanner? You know, those $10,000 scanners used for newer video games? I mean I'd make all 100 of my creatures with clay and paint them and everything if so. Hell I'll even make a clay-like video game mod. Personally I'm sure there's more of a chance that someone owns a book publishing company that could help me in other regards, or maybe has a baby for sale.

I'd prefer someone that has an elephant jerky business though. As I've always wanted to try elephant jerky but have never found it in existance, ever.

you have got to be kidding

where do you live?

you mean 3D scanners right and not elephant jerky businesses?

have you 3D max or something similar?

I may work up the cash for a plane ticket if so if you are genuine about having them and nice enough to allow a complete stranger to use. Charge as needed I'll make sure I've saved it.

Holy crap, my university has but one of those, but based on silhouette imaging through a dodecahedron 20-point fixed camera arrangement!

Then, the generated data is not even readily convertible to a 3D model, unless you enjoy loading raw data into matlab or a special program and doing some mumbo-jumbo.

as for one hell of a project, i've just faked 20 sheets of old style journal paper being touched by bloody hands in order to display the chapter's contents in my plot book. I also just hand-painted a few maps of other planets and color-xeroxed them along with a few pages of my made-up logbook at the library. Yeah, i'm really getting into this and hoping its quite a project when I'm through. A basic video game with a reason for absolutely everything.

Those things are expensive. I saw a minuature one selling for about $2,400.

@ thread: no, i don't have access to one, sorry.

anyway, what do you need it for? do you want to create 3d models for a game with a newer engine, like doom3?
if its's for a classic doom mod, i think you're better off with pictures of your models, that's how id made the monsters from clay models after all. and it gave them a pretty unique look.

i haven't messed around with newer engines. i would like to try 3d models in gzdoom though. eventually i'd dream of a doom 3 mod at least if not a real game someday for the hell of it.

Danarchy said:

3D Scanners? Those things are dangerous!

Holy crap! At least you get to play lightbike!

Good lord. Were you dropped on your head as a child or what?

I think everyone is more surprised at your apparent belief that someone simply has one of the expensive scanners lying around that you can just go right ahead and use. Mind you, these things cost THOUSANDS of dollars, and despite the fact that someone might have one/know where you can use one, its doubtful that they are anywhere close enough for you to get to them.

Technician said:

Never underestimate the generosity of strangers.

I don't really doubt the generosity so much as the fact that I feel like it will be wasted since he will almost likely be too far away. Unless by your means you are saying the "stranger" is willing to go even further and somehow,say, send jplstatic that same scanner/go to him with it. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I just believe that this kind of generosity is highly unlikely, especially considering the spread out distance between most of the forum-goers (or so I assume :| )

Never hurts to ask. If I had a $10,000 scanner I'd be willing to scan them for him. Airfare is out of the question though.

I'm just asking out of morbid curiosity. I'd be more than willing to ride a camel or whatever it would take. I'd figure out some way to transport clay models I haven't even made yet in individual glass cases or something. I'd go all out that much just to skip having to do my own computer design work, because I'm not an artist on computers at all. I'm just using this project as something to keep me going more or less. Even if it ends up another terrible mistake for the community to suffer through, at least I tried really hard on this one. I just have jack else to do and it makes me happy.

And Scuba Steve said he has more than one. Does Scuba Steve actually have more than one? I like Scuba Steve. He talks about peckard the aardvark and his 3D Scanners. I like 3D Scanners. If Scuba Steve likes me I may just go hang out with Scuba Steve someday via plane.

I'm thinking Scuba Steve was being sarcastic. Call it an Action Doom based hunch.

Do you have a 3D printer? Because if so, Scuba Steve could scan one of his scanners with the other one, and email the file to you, so you could then print it and you'd have your own 3D scanner.

It seems like a perfect plan.

Gez said:

Do you have a 3D printer? Because if so, Scuba Steve could scan one of his scanners with the other one, and email the file to you, so you could then print it and you'd have your own 3D scanner.

It seems like a perfect plan.

Yo dawg, I heard you like scanners so we put a scanner in your scanner so you can scan while you scan, yo.