Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mattfrie1

Glitches in console ports

I was playing Doom for Sega Saturn a couple of weeks ago when a really strange glitch happened. I was playing the level Hell Beneath for the first time, and in the NIN room, when the walls raised,and I could see right through them! In areas in the room where there was the room's regular wall behind the raised wall I could see the levels skyline, while I could also see the indent for where the blue key was, and I could also see the hidden cages from where the enemy's teleported into the level. I saw a Hell Knight behind one of them and when I fired a rocket, it stopped where the wall would have been! The weird thing about this is when I played through the level again to get the glitch to work, the walls raised up and were just a straight black color. I'm assuming it was a black color because the people that ported the level to the Saturn forgot to texture the walls, but why were they see through only once...?

The see-thru glitch only happens once in a while, usually when there's a lot of stuff going on at once. It's happened to me in some of the new Ultimate Doom maps. Another common glitch are projectiles flying through long linedefs. In the Tower of Babel the mancubus fireballs and rockets from the Cyberdemon can be seen sailing off into the void through the outer walls of the courtyard.

Do those fireballs and rockets ever hit anything in the void? There's times when I'm at stages like Fortress of Mystery and Hell Gate when the fireball explosion sound comes out of no where, usually scaring the crap out of me.

They eventually wrap around and appear at the other side of the map, then will collide with the wall. Kinda stupid, but that port is really janky.

[Playstation]

I was at Command Center and I was at the area where there are the two pillars that the Barons come down from (or Baron in this version). I killed the pain elemental over here, and one of the lost souls seemed to get stuck in the ground! It was over in the acid pit, and whenever it went to go attack me, it went right down onto the ground like it was glued to it. I couldn't kill it either. This has happened to me twice at the same stage. Has it happened to anyone else?

That depends which version you are talking about. The US version is bad enough but the EUR version is dreadful. The Japanese release is far better and imo, its the second best console port of DOOM from that era (behind the Jaguar version but then I've actually only ever seen that running once).

I had a similar thing happen to me in Doom 64, usually happens when a pain elemental is killed near a wall or obsticle. Lost Souls can become stuck in a wall but appear not to be, strange.

I heard that the japanese version improves the framerate. I of course have the us version and its got issues. But it saved my ass when I didn't have a pc around for a year or so. It still of course is a good game in it's own right, but at times that framerate is unforgiving.

I don't remember there being a Command Center level for Doom2 since that is E2M5 for Doom1...

Not to mention Pain Elementals are Doom2 only monsters..what would they be doing in the PSX version of Doom1 for?

..Unless the OP meant Cacodemons, but they don't spit lost souls out.

I've never encountered any glitches in the Saturn version of DOOM--it's just slow and choppy. I didn't know the Japanese version was faster (heck, I didn't even know there was a Japanese version), I would have gotten that instead, assuming it's reasonably priced (I've got a Pro Action Replay 4-in-1 converter card, mainly so I can play all those lovely Capcom/SNK 1 and 4 meg RAM cart fighting games and, the best of all Japanese imports, strip mah jong games).

The doom 2 monsters only appear on the game's highest difficulty, which is Ultra-Violence. I'm just guessing the map wasn't constructed for the most part to have lost souls come flying out of nowhere. Does anyone know why it was stuck in the ground though?

Do you just need an action replay to play import games? If you do, than Japanese doom is on the horizon for me.
Yeah, the framerate sucks in the U.S. version. On the level perfect hatred, you get thrown into the lag, as there is so much on the screen at once. I took my chainsaw out here and started using it, and it sounded like it had a rock stuck in it! It was still playable for me as hard as it seems.

Good luck finding a copy. The Japanese weren't (and still aren't) that big into the FPS genre so their release of DOOM only received a very limited production run. In fact, it took me almost two years to hunt down my copy.

However, it is well worth it. The Japanese release is far more than a "fixed US version with better frame rate". It was ported to Saturn independently by Softbank specifically for that market and as the system link cable was actually used in the east, this version retains both multiplayer modes.

I completely adore my Saturns (yes, I currently own four of them), the architecture fascinates me. If I weren't involved in the PC DOOM scene then most likely I would be hacking around with something or another on the Saturn.

EDIT: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Saturn

Well a quick run of Ebay came up with nothing, so I'm guessing your right on it being hard to find. How was the PAL version then? Just as bad as the U.S., or a little bit better?

DaniJ said:

I completely adore my Saturns (yes, I currently own four of them), the architecture fascinates me. If I weren't involved in the PC DOOM scene then most likely I would be hacking around with something or another on the Saturn.

You and me both, I only have one Saturn, an orignial US model (MK80000), but I'm keeping my eye out for another one so I can possibly mod it. I was going to poke around for a japanese copy of Doom but now I'm discouraged.

Xeriphas1994 said:

Hmmm, half this stuff seems to be missing from Ledmeister's writeup.  Is he still maintaining it?

Why yes, he is. :)   But I only deal with the North American/NTSC releases on my website and FAQs.
I do own pairs of the PAL and Japanese versions, though, and have played them all in single and multi-player modes.
But as forgiving as I am of the Saturn games, I'd still take the original PlayStation Doom over all of them.
Just my personal preference. :)

r_rr said:

I had a similar thing happen to me in Doom 64, usually happens when a pain elemental is killed near a wall or obsticle. Lost Souls can become stuck in a wall but appear not to be, strange.

Lost Souls from exploding PE's can also get stuck behind walls in the original PC games. But unlike the console versions, the wall texture blocks the monster sprite, keeping it out of view.

The weird thing I'm talking about is how the lost soul seemed to be stuck in the ground. anyone know why this happened?

Now that this has been merged into glitches in console ports, any other oddities in a console port that anyone would like to discuss?

Mattfrie1 said:

The weird thing I'm talking about is how the lost soul seemed to be stuck in the ground. anyone know why this happened?

Hard to say without a screenshot or reliable way to reproduce it.
Probably something to do with a sector-height discrepancy where the Lost Soul was, and the next nearest sector...? Dunno.

Now that this has been merged into glitches in console ports, any other oddities in a console port that anyone would like to discuss?

Yeah, most console ports have brand new bugs all their own. Here's one.