Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jplstatic

Not spam. Need web hosting

I am on a spree of trying to find webhosting, which used to be simple. All i'm needing are no ads, a little space, and availability to just edit it online, but ftp and more space is a plus. I can't find anything normal anymore!!!

appendage: free hosting without domain linkage. Just space. Free Web Space, not Hosting. Here I'll change the title too to clarify, sorry lol.

Let's see if I've got this straight - you'd like your own little corner of cyberspace, without advertising or the hassle of arranging hosting for a domain name?

Two options spring to mind-

Talk to your ISP. Most non-business internet plans include some online storage that can be use for personal websites.

Find someone who's prepared to host your site as a subdomain.

The best way to have a homepage/website exactly the way you want it without a subscription plan is to set up a server in your home and administer it directly. Any other solution will invariably involve:

1. Paying some subscription fee
  2. Forced use of templates/inclusion of ads
  3. Very limited use of active content besides client-side stuff like javascript.
  4. Equally limited in the choice of material you can upload. Some hosting services don't even accept .zip files anymore!
  5. Forgetting most fancy server-side stuff, if you're so inclined. Or, if your subscription includes the use of server-side Java/PHP/Perl/CGI-BIN etc. you may be resource-limited and have your contract terminated at the minimum screw-up.
If all you want however is a 90s style homepage, even fortunecity or -gasp- geocities will do.

Planky said:
Though it would seem rather limited - forced to use their templates, etc.

You can just upload files and their editor has an HTML mode.

yeah basically i have very large text html files. The one I'm writing is for chapter 1. Its extremely long as its the beginning plus I have two full level descriptions. These aren't for doom. its something I plan to be able to do once I am capable of using a later engine.

White text in a 600 width table on black with 111111 being the table's bgcolor.

i'm more or less writing all of these, sticking them online, compiling all my notes and doing that to, then going to the library to pay my ten cents a copy then fixing our scanner that has a broken printer (and hopefully not scanner) and overimpose them onto different backdrops having to do with the art direction of the level. then to pdf, then cafepress, etc etc.

I'm really just incredibly bored and my band friends all do heroin now or shoot people and I don't like them anymore. I'm just the nerd.