Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Doom maps with creepy-as-hell atmos

Which maps have you played that leave you genuinely shaken? I can think of a few:

- Scythe II MAP16
- It Only Gets Worse MAP10
- All of Action Doom
- Hellcore MAP32 (o_O)

Any others?

Not maps per se. But back in the 90ies when I downloaded Eternal doom for the first time (3 hour download time booyah) it left me a bit shaken as a whole.

I had an acquaintance that got nightmares from Aliens TC after playing it in the middle of the night BTW.

I'd Probably say Geryon in Playstation Final Doom and Breakdown in Doom 64. It wasn't really the level that creeped me out, but the music that played at each. Who could forget that creepy whistling at Geryon and the moans and flies buzzing at Breakdown?

What about Doom64 MAP12 (Altar of Pain) and MAP13 (Dark Citadel)? MAP12 had some creepy ambient sounds, one that sounded like a faint baby crying while MAP13 just had some weird moan.

I don't think any of the other DOOM/DOOM2 levels genuinely creeped me out other than Doom64's.

Call me crazy, but the baby crying sounds in altar of pain didn't bother me. They are actually more annoying to me. I also loved the song for Dark Citadel as well, it just provided a cool atmosphere.
Another song that creeps me out come to think of it would be the song for Pandemonium in PlayStation Doom. It doesn't creep me out at that stage, but it provides a creepy sense of desolation at the other three levels it's at (Fortress of Mystery and Suburbs in PlayStation Doom and Ghost Town In PlayStation Final Doom).

I'm not sure what map map16 in Scythe 2 is, but If' it's "Mr. X" I totally feel ya. That map had me on my toes until after i died on it a couple times, then it got a little annoying.

Eternal doom has excellent atmosphere. I kinda wish I could play it again and be as interested in it as I was when I first played it. Just by how difficult it was, how mauled up the status bar face looked when you took damage, and the darkness all together really made it seem like the last of the doom map series.

Ultimately, Doom64, for the same reasons as Eternal doom also created that same effect.

Sinfis said:

Ghoul's Forests definitely, eww...

The first time I played that wad on ZDaemon that head scared the shit out of me. And it's still creepy!

That secret map in hellcore. It actually had atmosphere and not cheap scares.

The arch-vile maze, Hunted, in Plutonia when I first played it. I can't think of any other maps that have creeped me out, besides Doom itself back when it was new.

I guess Aliens TC was scary the first time I played it because it was different and somewhat claustrophobic and mazy. DOOM and DOOM II (and their custom levels) are too dreamy to be scary. They're better at being humiliating, with some trap or monster arrangement smashing you to bits in an unexpected or merciless way.

Mr. Chris said:

What about Doom64 MAP12 (Altar of Pain) and MAP13 (Dark Citadel)? MAP12 had some creepy ambient sounds, one that sounded like a faint baby crying while MAP13 just had some weird moan.

I don't think any of the other DOOM/DOOM2 levels genuinely creeped me out other than Doom64's.

I second that; Map13 was crazy creepy. I think D64s atmosphere was missed by alot fans who wouldn't give it a chance because of the changes it made. I also thought In the Void was creepy too. From the originals, I'd def say Hunted was really tense.

Asylum the of the Wretched has got a fairly high creep factor.

Ichor said:

1Monster map 15.
AOTW

Ya, what Ichor be sayin'

Cleimos E2M8. Any kind of cyberdemon boss level which takes long to finish, uses default D_E2M8, has dim lighting, is riddled with traps, and gives the thought that eventually a cyber will appear behind a door to splatter me, is daunting.

Espi said:

The arch-vile maze, Hunted, in Plutonia when I first played it. I can't think of any other maps that have creeped me out, besides Doom itself back when it was new.

I felt the same way when I first played that, of course nowadays, that fear is gone...Then plutonia 2's sequel to that came out and that gave me the same feelings I first had. That final room was unexpected and all those archvilles in that dark room made me jump! (no pun intended!)

Espi said:

Using D_BUNNY and placing a rather simple, Wolfenstein3d-like maze structure w/ just doors, made it rather weak in my eyes. As much as I've seen, Wolf beats Doom when it's about being stalked in mazes. Quite often in Doom monsters get stuck in corners or worse even, in doors. And they all make noises that give them away.

printz said:

Using D_BUNNY and placing a rather simple, Wolfenstein3d-like maze structure w/ just doors, made it rather weak in my eyes.

And wait until somebody pulls out Salad Fingers Doom. Now that would be sad, sick and creepy.

printz said:

Using D_BUNNY and placing a rather simple, Wolfenstein3d-like maze structure w/ just doors, made it rather weak in my eyes.

I think this almost surreal combination made it such a success. I wouldn't call it 'creepy' but it was definitely one scary ride when I first played it.

D_BUNNY was the perfect music track for this level.

Yeah I think that little innocent sounding music gave it some of it's effect; course that's just my opinion.

E5M4 of The Lost Episode.

Exploring an abandoned city, with absolutely no enemies anywhere, yet knowing there are over 200 of them somewhere was pretty atmospheric I thought. I also loved how the atmosphere changed as soon as the entire map started filling with enemies, and instead of having a really creepy city, devoid of any life, you're left with a city of complete chaos. Was pretty awesome.

The City of the Damned: Apocalypse and Ghoul's Forest were both pretty scary.

Reevys said...
Exploring an abandoned city, with absolutely no enemies anywhere, yet knowing there are over 200 of them somewhere was pretty atmospheric I thought.

I love this too, it is an excellent effect.

Espi said:

The scariest part for me was being low on ammo and seeing an arch-vile around a corner, and then having it FOLLOW you as you struggle to find more ammo.

that super happy fun time circus map, or whatever it was called. that was seriously eerie.

A lot of the Doom64 levels in Hell were plain creepy, partly due to the really eerie music that plays, but Altar of Pain was very scary when I first played it, I mean you hear babies crying, that right there disturbed the hell out of me. The whole structure of the level was quite demonic. Dark Citadel was quite dark and evil feeling, and Breakdown had probably the scariest music out of them all, like you can hear the moaning of the damned right UNDER you. After Pitfalls, the levels with the skies of fire, had a horrifying atmosphere right off the bat, fulfilling the fire and brimstone descriptions of Hell.

But I digress, MAP28 of Doom II was pretty frightening with all of the lava, like you were almost in the heart of Hell itself, along with Satan's throne in that one room and the track to the level was easily the scariest song in Doom II.