Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Doom under Linux

I didnt know which forum to put this under, so this seemed the most reasonable. As the title implies, I want to run Doom under Ubuntu. What ports would make this possible? I want to run Chocolate Doom, prBoom+ and GZDoom (if at all possible,) on my laptop, which is currently running Ubuntu. I imaginee I'll have to get the source and compile each one, but I could be wrong. I dont have enough experience with Wine to know what to do with it, so any help is appreciated.

Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, and Eternity should all work, I believe you may find PrBoom in the repository (but it's been a long time since I've used Ubuntu.) ZDoom should work, but might be a bit of a pain in the ass to get working, I've had it work in the past though. I'm not sure about GZDoom.

Other ports that are "supposed" to work like JDoom and Vavoom, I never got working.

PrBoom is IMHO the best bet, as the others might require you to compile them yourself.

For Chocolate Doom, I've written a script to automate the install process. You need the basic build tools like gcc and make installed, but after that it should just install automatically.

For Ubuntu, I suggest installing libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-net1.2-dev beforehand.

Chocolate Doom and Odamex are my primary ports, but I've also had native versions of Doomsday, Eternity, PrBoom, PrBoom-plus, Skulltag, and Zdoom running at one point or another.

Also, to get music working in most source ports, you'll need to install TiMidity++ and a patch set. I recommend this one.

exp(x) said:

Chocolate Doom and Odamex are my primary ports, but I've also had native versions of Doomsday, Eternity, PrBoom, PrBoom-plus, Skulltag, and Zdoom running at one point or another.

Also, to get music working in most source ports, you'll need to install TiMidity++ and a patch set. I recommend this one.

I'll be sure to take note of that set of patches. The one I had last time I ran linux was so bad.

I've never gotten a single version of ZDoom/GZDoom to be able to compile myself. :/

As for TiMidity, using eawpats is nice, but the default timidity patches sound good enough if you don't feel like setting up the others.

Skulltag has a native binary, and Ide\IdeSE both work under wine just fine (just be sure to have the wads download to the root directory). GZDoom works *perfectly* (save perhaps some timidity setup) under wine. It doesn't have anything that feels weird or odd at all - runs at full acceleration with full support. The only thing I haven't gotten working is being able to drag multiple wads onto my shortcut icons.

But yeah, either wine Gzdoom or get skulltag. Or both.

got chocolate doom installed. problem is that I cant seem to run it. where do i need to put the iWad?

This is what I get

patrick@patrick-laptop:~/chocolate-doom$ ./chocolate-doom -iwad /home/patrick/doom2.wad

Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
zone memory: 0xb6a49008, 1000000 allocated for zone
DEH_Init: Init Dehacked support.
Error: IWAD file '/home/patrick/doom2.wad' not found
Problem is, doom 2 is definitely in that folder and that copy of doom 2 definitely works on windows.

Patrick Pineda said:
Problem is, doom 2 is definitely in that folder and that copy of doom 2 definitely works on windows.

Just a thought: most Linux filesystems are case-sensitive (i.e. make sure it's not Doom2.wad, DOOM2.WAD, etc.)

Patrick Pineda said:

got chocolate doom installed. problem is that I cant seem to run it. where do i need to put the iWad?

You can either:

• Use -iwad to specify the path to the IWAD file on the command line
  • Put it in /usr/local/share/games/doom, or /usr/share/games/doom
  • cd to the directory that it is in, and run from there
  • Set an environment variable called DOOMWADDIR containing the path to the directory containing the file, eg.
    export DOOMWADDIR=/home/fraggle/doom
  • Set an environment variable called DOOMWADPATH containing a colon-separated list of directories containing IWADs, eg.
    export DOOMWADPATH=/home/fraggle/doom/doom1:/home/fraggle/doom/doom2:/home/fraggle/doom/tnt:/home/fraggle/doom/plutonia
Hope this helps!

CODOR said:

Just a thought: most Linux filesystems are case-sensitive (i.e. make sure it's not Doom2.wad, DOOM2.WAD, etc.)

Yes, do this as well.

ahhh... Chocolate Doom works. thanks to everyone! now ... prBoom ... And GZDoom?

PrBoom works in Debian, there is even a deb.
ZDoom works too, I compile it each new version with no pain at all now (see the ZDoom in Linux thread in the ZDoom forum).
ReMooD works but you must launch it from its installation directory.
LxDoom works but is old.
Chocolate-doom works too, there is a package somewhere, maybe here.
deb http://debian.halfcoded.net/ binary/
Legacy used to have a Debian package.
But I could’t make GZDoom work because of a Windows library somewhere.

ducon said:

But I could’t make GZDoom work because of a Windows library somewhere.

In such cases please report the problem so that it can be investigated.

OK, I was "mauvaise langue" (the lib issue came from GL things as far as I remember), I currently have a problem with unset variables.

I play under Ubuntu too.

PRBoom in the repos is an older version from 2006, it's never been either stable or good looking for me.

Skulltag distribute Ubuntu binaries, with instructions on the wiki for how to install FMOD and dependencies for Debian-likes, these work great under Ubuntu in software and OpenGL.

I've compiled Chocolate Doom and had it happily running. There are instructions on the wiki for that too.

My preferred port is GZDoom, which I've had running on some of my PCs by use of Winefix. I run the game either on its own or via ZDL by use of a virtual desktop area, then change to fullscreen 1920x1200 inside the game itself. I have a folder like /home/superjamie/doom mapped to d:\ in Wine Config, and the command I run is winefix -v 1280x1024 D:\ZDL.exe (perhaps I have got the slash after D: the wrong way there).

You can play software-rendering ZDoom this way as well. Due to some Wine error (maybe a missing font), the down arrows in ZDL don't appear, but it's no big deal. Some Linux machines I just can't get this working on, I don't know why, I haven't looked into it.

I've never tried to compile ZDoom or GZDoom natively under Linux.

ReMooD distribute an offical package for Ubuntu, which does work, but slowly, in software only, and suffers from graphics glitches for me. Definitely one to keep an eye on though.

The offical Legacy 1.42 Linux binaries also work well in both software and OpenGL. Grab these before newdoom.com shuts down in June.

Graf Zahl said:

In such cases please report the problem so that it can be investigated.

On that topic, this is what I get when I try to compile gzdoom from svn:

/home/simon/Dev/gzdoom/gzdoom/trunk/src/p_setup.cpp: In function ‘void P_SetupLevel(char*, int)’:
/home/simon/Dev/gzdoom/gzdoom/trunk/src/p_setup.cpp:3415: error: operands to ?: have different types ‘const char*’ and ‘FString’

I got a similar error trying to compile the latest release also.

Super Jamie said:

Grab these before newdoom.com shuts down in June.

Well, I'll be damned.

anyway, ZDoom for Linux will soon have the ability to compile with OpenAL, which should help distros that hate FMOD (all of them).

I have prboom installed. The problem I am getting is that it always defaults to this one level no matter what wad I try to load (I am doing prboom -iwad <wad_file> or prboom -file <wad_file>). Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

It looks like the only levels that will load come from prboom.wad and they seem to be deathmatch only.

You must have accidentally merged a DM level set with your PrBoom WAD, because it does not normally contain any levels. I'd back up the CFG and reinstall the engine, if I were you.

No need to back up the cfg in Linux, it isn't placed in an executable's directory (nor are the engines even put into separated directories, heh). It should be enough to just replace prboom.wad in /usr/{local/,}share/games/doom/

I tried copying doom2.wad overtop of prboom.wad and running prboom.

This is the error message I am getting:

$ prboom

prboom v2.5.0 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
I_SetAffinityMask: manual affinity mask is 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
default file: /home/r00t/.prboom/prboom.cfg
found /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
IWAD found: /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
PrBoom (built Feb 24 2009), playing: DOOM 2: Hell on Earth
PrBoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
V_Init: allocate screens.
found /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
found /usr/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
adding /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
adding /usr/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
W_InitCache

W_GetNumForName: CRBRICK not found

er... you should be leaving prboom.wad just as it comes with the distribution (eg, don't replace it with doom2.wad or anything else)

CRBRICK is a lump in prboom.wad, which means you have eliminated the contents of prboom.wad (probably by overwriting them with those of doom2.wad). The file must be loaded intact, as the executable requires what's in it, in addition to the regular game content. Also, you're apparently loading doom2.wad twice. Are you adding it with -file? That command line parameter is for optional, custom WADs. The -iwad parameter takes care of the main game file, or IWAD (doom2.wad).

You said you backed up prboom.wad. Is this the file you had been using earlier? Because that file was messed up. You have to reinstall PrBoom or at least copy a fresh prboom.wad into /usr/share/games/doom/.

When I copy the backup to prboom.wad and run it as: prboom -iwad doom2.wad

It will still load the same levels (contain no enemies and seem to be deathmatch only levels). This was the same prboom.wad that came with it when I installed it. I downloaded the tarball and put in a fresh copy of prboom.wad as well but it seems to be doing the same thing. Any ideas?

When I try to load doom2.wad (prboom -iwad doom2.wad) the command line will even look like it is trying to load it (it will say playing: Doom 2: Hell on Earth) but it will still default to those crappy maps. Could this be a problem in prboom.cfg?