Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

New sprites - okay in IWAD but don't work in PWAD

Hello!
Its been a long time ago since I worked with XWE the last time so please don't be angry if i have stupid questions ;)
Today i wanted to edit some weapon sprites of heretic. I made a copy of my Heretic.wad and placed it in a special modding folder. Then I began to work and changed many, many sprites and tested the new IWAD and it worked perfectly. I was very happy.
Then, I had the idea to make a little PWAD with some new levels and my new sprites. I opened a level-WAD i created with Doom Builder before and began to import all the sprites (i had exported them from the edited IWAD before).
I thought when I would run the PWAD, the original sprites would be replaced by the new ones as long as i play the mod.
I noticed that the new sprites looked ugly, like they had a wrong palette setting. Them I tried to import them with the "load raw data" but when i tried it this way, the weapons didn't appear in the game.

So how can i solve this problem? I want to have a PWAd with maps and new graphics which should replace the old graphics.

XWE doesn't come with Heretic or HeXen's palettes and hence you have to provide them yourself from the iwads (copy the PLAYPAL lump into your pwad).

Then select it and click on the palette menu. One of the options is to use the current.

Yeah, I already saw this option but what palette do I have to select for Heretic? I saw no special heretic palette...

Just the PLAYPAL or also the COLORMAP?

Heres what I did:
I deleted all the sprites in the PWAD, saved the PLAYPAL lump out of my Heretic IWAD and loaded it into the PWAD. Then I selected it and let it become the current palette. Then I loaded all the sprites again. When I started the game, something weird happened: It looked very ugly again (like it had the wrong palette) and the graphic of the starting screen was the one of Hexen (and not Heretic!) just multicolored!

EDIT: Argh! Since I edited this PWAD, all WADS seem to have the wrong palette and Hexen graphics, the only one working is the original IWAD...

Vermil said:

hence you have to provide them yourself from the iwads (copy the PLAYPAL lump into your pwad).

do that.

Okay everything is okay now...
I found out why there where all these Hexen graphics: I dont jknow why, but somehow there was the HEXEN.WAD in the Skulltag\Skins folder :D
I dont know why I put it in there but since I removed it from there, everything is fine :)