Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maggot202

how to lower a fence?

Hello
Following my awesome script from a previous thread, the brave doomguy must go into the vowels of a supercomputer (will be a section very inspired in a scene from the movie "Event Horizon"). But to acess the insides of the computer itself, he must lower a fence (which he isn't aware that is just a impassible linedef with some texture). Now is it possible in (g)zdoom to achieve this lowering fence effect?

The easiest to do is a very thin sector that's shaped like a fence, together with a lower-unpegged middle texture to cover the rest. Might look bad though and not even be what you've designed.

Some ports, perhaps only Eternity, allow middle textures to act just like fences (not absolutely impassable). They get the so-called "3dmidtex" linedef flag and can be manipulated via move-3dmidtex specials.

Sorry I haven't explored (G)ZDoom enough, but given that it supports Strife which has fences, and that it's a powerful engine overall, hopefully it has something, maybe even its own 3dmidtex variant.

Make the fence like a raised floor sector, with a 'fence' middle texture with a negative offset (so it gets drawn into its floor). Make the raised bit of the sector invisible to the player by tagging a 242 ('deep water') trigger so that its floor gets drawn at the surrounding floor level. You can manipulate the fence sector without problem with this kind of setup. Possible in any Boom-compatible port.

maggot202 said:

Hello
Following my awesome script from a previous thread, the brave doomguy must go into the vowels of a supercomputer

a ueouer?

maggot202 said:

ueouer? what's that?

He's making a pun off the "vowels" comment you wrote. I think you meant to write "bowels" instead.

Kirby said:

He's making a pun off the "vowels" comment you wrote. I think you meant to write "bowels" instead.

Oh, i see! Heh, heh, clever english humor :)