Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mopbrothers

Running a custom wad on Zdoom

I'm having difficulty running a custom made Doom 2 level using the Doom Builder program. I downloaded Zdoom cause I have Windows vista, but I can't figure out how to run a custom doom 2 level. Please help.

Thanks

I'm assuming you're trying to run it from Doom Builder because you've just built it there. Otherwise there's no need to use Doom builder to run PWADs.

Using the engine you downloaded, you can drag the WAD onto the executable to run it. To run it from Doom Builder you need to go to the configuration dialog, to the Testing tab, and browse for the executable.

Note that if the WAD doesn't start at level 1 you might have to warp to whatever level it uses, using the -file parameter (in a command line), the "map" console command or the IDCLEV cheat.

I figured out how to run it on doom builder, but when i try to drag "mylevel.WAD" on the Zdoom application itself it just brings up the doom2 main screen where you can start a new game, it doesn't start my level.

When you make a map in doombuilder, title it 'map01'. If you title it anything you want like 'stringbeans', then it'll just play the default iwad level which is what I suspect happened. (go edit/map options/level name, change to map01, then drag/drop should work). Richard stallman thinks vista is a downgrade that reduces user freedom badvista.org

I still use xp mostly, out of habit and not being 1337, but stallman seems like a very smart altruistic trustable guy and his youtube speeches seem interesting and convincing.

You haven't grasped all of Stallman's message then :P If you really believed it, you wouldn't run any version of Windows, and you would also realize that RMS is against YouTube which encourages the use of proprietary formats and software.

But anyway, this all belongs in Everything Else if anywhere; a mod would probably have to split this thread for the last few posts (and copying gggmork's post?) for the forum to remain sane.