Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Secret map31, any suggetions?

Well, I am asking this question for my megawad project "Trauma". I really want to make a special map31 for this project (of course map32 will be a slaughterfest like always :P). Do anyone of you have an ide or anything that would help me, something that hasn't been overdone 1000 times already. Thanks for your help. :)

Note: Oh yeah I forgot these.

The Wadsinprogress post.

Waste.mid by Stewboy, the music I plan to use for map31. :)

Something severely outlandish, like something a 1994 mapper would have done but do it better.

Maybe you could have a bunch of platforms going down like a slope and have revenants (and arch-viles if you're feeling especially mean) at the bottom firing at you. The exit's at the bottom, of course.

Something with Wolfenstein textures, you gotta have at least one map with those. Or maybe an maze type of map just like the one from Plutonia, but only with cyberdemons instead of archviles.

EarthQuake said:

How about a creepy puzzle map with no monsters?

Yeah, that could be good. But I don't think a creepy map is suited for my kind of megawad.

DuckReconMajor said:

Something severely outlandish, like something a 1994 mapper would have done but do it better.

Maybe you could have a bunch of platforms going down like a slope and have revenants (and arch-viles if you're feeling especially mean) at the bottom firing at you. The exit's at the bottom, of course.

Sorry, but I don't really like this idea. It seems too much like Mock2 map07 by SoM. But thanks for the idea.

dutch devil said:

Something with Wolfenstein textures, you gotta have at least one map with those. Or maybe an maze type of map just like the one from Plutonia, but only with cyberdemons instead of archviles.

Hmm, wolfenstein textures is out of the question. But I like the maze idea really much, I will put that on the list of possible ideas. :)

Keep them coming, other people might be able to use any of them as well.

That midi feels very outdoor to me, rather than indoor. Maybe there's some sort of Garden of Eden hidden away in a canyon or something.

Based on the midi, a cheerful tropical island with some native huts around and a secret UAC base deeper in the forest. Like Farcry, but more cheerful.

Alternatively, a UAC employee vacation facility...although I guess that's been done to death?

With this music? Nintendo-like furries slaughterfest on a platform/cube like structure. With colors... lots of colors.

Torn said:

Sorry, but I don't really like this idea. It seems too much like Mock2 map07 by SoM. But thanks for the idea.

Oh no, no. I'm sorry, I worded that very badly. I hate that level just as much as everyone else. This is what I meant:

If you've ever played Marble Blast Ultra for Xbox Live Arcade, I meant for this to be like the levels where you're going downhill the whole time and gain speed on the way down, until you're going insanely fast and can barely stop. Except here you'd have to dodge Revenant fireballs.

You probably still don't like the idea (and it doesn't go very well with the MIDI either) but at least now you know what I meant :)

We've all seen haunted houses, mansions, and such before.
However, how about one that looks find and dandy from the outside, and seemingly normal for the first room or two.
And then, things get funky.
... as you emerge to find yourself in a village of houses that are full of wrong and terrible. (And I don't just mean hellish in nature, either.)
And if you don't use this idea, I will! :P

How about using the previous map, but make everything upside down (flipped textures, monsters on the floor which is now the ceiling, falling through a skylight into open sky results in death, etc.)?

Make it a familiar-looking map, but at four times the scale, with giant Imps roaming around.

Jodwin said:

Based on the midi, a cheerful tropical island with some native huts around and a secret UAC base deeper in the forest. Like Farcry, but more cheerful.

Alternatively, a UAC employee vacation facility...although I guess that's been done to death?

Well, I dunno. Are there any texture wads with jungle textures? Oh yeah I guess plutonia 2 have quite some stuff for that. I like this idea very much too.

Julian Hope said:

With this music? Nintendo-like furries slaughterfest on a platform/cube like structure. With colors... lots of colors.

Well, I said you would make a midi. I just liked this midi, if you have anything of your own work that is similiar, it could be cool. :P

DuckReconMajor said:

Oh no, no. I'm sorry, I worded that very badly. I hate that level just as much as everyone else. This is what I meant:

*picture*

If you've ever played Marble Blast Ultra for Xbox Live Arcade, I meant for this to be like the levels where you're going downhill the whole time and gain speed on the way down, until you're going insanely fast and can barely stop. Except here you'd have to dodge Revenant fireballs.

You probably still don't like the idea (and it doesn't go very well with the MIDI either) but at least now you know what I meant :)

Oh, I dunno still. But I guess as I said before, someone can probably use this idea. :)

Insane_Gazebo said:

We've all seen haunted houses, mansions, and such before.
However, how about one that looks find and dandy from the outside, and seemingly normal for the first room or two.
And then, things get funky.
... as you emerge to find yourself in a village of houses that are full of wrong and terrible. (And I don't just mean hellish in nature, either.)
And if you don't use this idea, I will! :P

I don't really get what you mean. Do you mean it looks like a normal town, but the houses themselves is hellish?

Ichor said:

How about using the previous map, but make everything upside down (flipped textures, monsters on the floor which is now the ceiling, falling through a skylight into open sky results in death, etc.)?

Another good idea, I remember that map01 that was made based on this. The map would have to a layout you are able to move around in withouting jumping as this wad is for vanilla doom 2.

WildWeasel said:

Make it a familiar-looking map, but at four times the scale, with giant Imps roaming around.

Well, this is for vanilla. That one is more suitable for Zdoom or another sourceport.

kristus said:

make it a one room map with the download url for Flashback on a wall.

Oh yeah, at least I need to make an easter-egg room with some screenshots from FB in map31. :D

Thanks for the replies people. :)

Torn said:

I don't really get what you mean. Do you mean it looks like a normal town, but the houses themselves is hellish?

They could be hellish, yes.
However, I was thinking that they could be very unusually shaped. Some could be extremely tall, some really thin, some could be upsidedown.
And yeah, some could be full of corpses, and other hellish things. Would be fun to experiment with.

Torn said:

Well, this is for vanilla. That one is more suitable for Zdoom or another sourceport.

Well, if you're not using Spider Masterminds anywhere else, you could perhaps make do with a giant Chaingunner and only need to change the sprites...Hell, I'd love a map where I'm being chased through a city by a giant chaingunner. =P

WildWeasel said:

Well, if you're not using Spider Masterminds anywhere else, you could perhaps make do with a giant Chaingunner and only need to change the sprites...Hell, I'd love a map where I'm being chased through a city by a giant chaingunner. =P

I believe you mean a swarm of giant suicide bombers.

Torn said:

Well, I am asking this question for my megawad project "Trauma". I really want to make a special map31 for this project (of course map32 will be a slaughterfest like always :P). Do anyone of you have an ide or anything that would help me, something that hasn't been overdone 1000 times already. Thanks for your help. :)

Note: Oh yeah I forgot these.

The Wadsinprogress post.

Waste.mid by Stewboy, the music I plan to use for map31. :)

The quintessential secret level for me is still the one from Wolfesntien's episode 1. That was soo cool to find that level because it was so distinct from the rest of the levels. The purple ceiling, the purple walls and the abundance of crowns (5000 points) made the level truly special. The music also was very different and espcially moody in a "special" kind of way. So whatever you do, to make it special, you should do something unique and original (in other words, don't do what id did for the secret levels of Doom 2)

So one way you can make it unique is by use of textures. You could study episode 1 of Wolfenstien and its secret level to see how it made its map unique. Use of symmetry can be effective as in E2M9 (where the weapons are). Giving special attention to architecture can also make a map unique and special feeling: for example, lots of really high cathedral like ceilings "sloping" (gradations of lower ceilings) gradating down to an adjacent area with really really low ceilings. You could also save some enemies just for the secret level--or use enemies in a unique way--like have only cacodemons or only have cacodemons rise out of pits in the level; that is, all cacodemons on the level rise out of pits. Maybe a level with only imps and cacodemons: the imps only come out of little alcoves and are never just placed in open space and cacodemons only ever rise out of pits....

If you wanna do a variation on Warrens, you could instead have a secret level that is a bunch of memorable sections from original Doom (episode 1 thru 3) connected by original areas. So you could have like a section of e1m1 connected to the secret section near the secret exit of e1m3 connected to the rocket launcher and soul sphere pit of e1m4 connected to the area of e1m7 that has the rising pillar and slime pits with the cool secrests on either side connected to the S catwalk of e2m4 connected to the armor room of e2m8 connected to the BFG room of e3m4 connected to e3m8 which has the secret passage that is written about at the end of the game but which you never get to see... and then you get to go down that secret passage to discover the awesome conclusion to this uber special secret level.

dutch devil said:

An flesh themed map, the majority of textures are flesh/brain textures. I don't see those come by very often.

Not meaning to highjack the thread but here's one I was working on for my Megawad (which is on hiatus):

http://www.hellbent.iwarp.com/box_widget.html

It's The Lung in 'individual completed maps' or MAP07 of 'Hellbent'. I found it difficult to do.