Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Mancubus inspired by Nurgle?

I found a box of a bunch of old Warhammer crap I have. Table top units, books and other stuff. After looking at some pic's and reading some info about the chaos god Nurgle, I think the Mancubus is inspired by him or his demons.

Nurgle is the god of decay, despair, stagnation, destruction, and disease. Nurgle is depicted as a large hulking figure covered in oozing sores and vivid marks of decay (Warhammer wiki). Most of his demons are also overweight corpses covered in sores.

Did any one at Id play Warhammer during the development of Doom 1&2?

A few pic's of Nurgal and his demons :
http://media.photobucket.com/image/nurgle/MIKEAQUAFORCE/Nurgle.jpg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Chaos/nurgle/guop1.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2006/358/b/f/Nurgle_Daemon_Prince_by_Sbags.jpg

http://store.miniwargaming.com/images/P/newimage.asp-572.gif

Mancubus inspired by Nurgle?

I don't see much in common other than their fatness. You could say a mancubus is more or less a fat ogre with weapons implanted on its arms.

Well, the concept of a swollen (rather than fat), festering corpse is not new in Fantasy settings. But the Mancubus looks very much alive and relatively healthy, aka not festering/covered in sores/gutted/rotten.

What myk said. I feel like there's really nothing else linking them (teeth, arms and mechanics are all different)

Maes said:

and relatively healthy,

heh. His skin peels right off the bones after you kill him.

And the Baron of Hell/Hell Knight just fall apart into a disconnected mess of its own intestines, so what?

TheeXile said:

The Under City guards from WoW are a lot closer the first incarnation of Nurgle and his demons. Matter of fact ditch the third arm, remove the patch work and you have one of the first incarnations of Nurgle.

A lot of Nurgle's demons even have the same body shape as the Mancubus and the 40k ones have guns for arms. I also could have sworn a couple older TT units have the same legs.

The problem is Games Workshop has been revamping Warhammer over the past few years. To keep up with the times. Also do the fact that many company's rip off or "borrow" things from Warhammer. Blizzard has "borrowed" a lot from Warhammer over the years.

These days finding any of the older Warhammer merchandise is next to imposable. Warhammer started in 83 and a lot of the older stuff has become collectors items and they can be very rare these days.

I'll do some looking around and see what I can dig up.

Also, I never thought of the Mancubus as just a fat demon. I thought they are a lot more gross then that. I thought they where covered in slime and they smell so bad you get sick every time your near one. Those are trademarks of Nurgle and his demons also.

JohnnyRancid said:

Maes said:

and relatively healthy,

heh. His skin peels right off the bones after you kill him. [/B]

Killing things does tend to make them slightly less healthy, to be fair.

I would guess that these have more in common in terms of mutual inspiration than one being copied directly from the other. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, and it's hardly uncommon for depictions of demons to be given the traits of one or more of those.

Nurgle's deamons however make me think more of swollen, gassy corpses rather than being "just" fat.