Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackdragon52k

Starship Troopers WAD?

Let me just say that im new to the forums but not new to Doom and if this is in the wrong section then sorry can a moderator please move it to the right place.
I was wondering if there was a TC for Doom based off Paul Verhovens 1997 sci fi thriller "Starship Troopers". Awhile back I saw they had made one for Duke Nukem 3D and I was wondering "Hey we have one for Star Wars,Aliens,Star Trek,HellRaiser, , ETC so Why not Starship Troopers?" I mean it wasnt a bad movie or anything and it has a large fanbase so I figured that if someone were to make one it would be great for multi player like Zdaemon or something. I think it would be kinda simple, just make new levels, change the sprites and weapons, and add some new sounds. Im really just looking for feedback on the idea not asking anyone to make it but if anyone would like to give it a try just give me some credit at the end. My names Blackdragon52k and I hope to have alot of fun on this site.

This is a good question. Starship Troopers is by far one of my favorite movies. I'd play it if a mod were available. Anyone else know if one was made?

On that note, my next upcoming mod is heavily inspired by Starship troopers, it may be worth taking a look at when I have the motivation to finish it and post it here.

Would you like to know more?

If someone were to make this I'd heavily reccomend doing it for Zdaemon
because with the ability to die and come back along with playing with many other people would better simulate that your an average trooper on the battle field. I had some ideas though for the weapons and what they replace. Original=New

Pistol= was there one in the movies?

Chaingun= Morita

Shotgun= shotgun add on to Morita

Super Shotgun= non-add on shotgun

Rocket Launcher=? The nuke should be put in the BFG's place

Plasma Rifle= Laser Rifle from "Troopers 2"

BFG= Nuke

Blackdragon52k said:

If someone were to make this I'd heavily reccomend doing it for Zdaemon
because with the ability to die and come back along with playing with many other people would better simulate that your an average trooper on the battle field.

Hey, you probably remember me as Mastor from the coopbuildlm sever...anyways. I'm pretty sure as long there is no complex scripting or something that requires a certain source port, it can be used on ZDaemon's ZDoom. All it would need is for the wad file to be on some server that it can be downloaded from, and a host/hostess.

Would you like to know more?

EDIT: accidentally quoted myself instead of the edit button. D:. I would delete this but I don't have the privilege.

Pedro VC said:

There's a Duke Nukem TC with the Starship Troopers theme

Blackdragon52k said:

Awhile back I saw they had made one for Duke Nukem 3D

Is there an echo in here? ;)

The Duke one has some pretty decent graphics. If permission is given, it might be a good place to start.

I also have 2 actual SST games. One was a squad based game the other was a FPS. The squad game was pretty good, though not my kind of game. The FPS was a pretty awful game IMO - though its heavy use of cutscenes from the movie made it feel quite professional.

Blackdragon52k said:

Im just saying, it would be super cool if someone made this.

you should make it :D I have all the necessary resources available, if you need help send me a PM!

I would have thought the most appropriate choice of port would be Skulltag; the Invasion game type seems most fitting.

Level 1 of Episode 4 (Havoc) from The Ultimate Torment & Torture, a singleplayer level pack for GZDoom, reminds me of Starship Troopers. I wished there were more levels like this one, where you have allied troops that fight with you against hell!

By the way, where to get the Duke Nukem 3D Starship Troopers TC? I didn’t find it…

Aliens TC said:

I'd say that it was pretty damned amazing.

Okay I think im going to attempt this and it should be fairly simple since I just got done playing Zdaemon and was on DBZone and was looking at all the skins and realized that (with authors consent) I pretty much am just going to recycle the sprites and sounds I use (but in a smooth way) Like using the DooM 64 marine sprite as the character and other trooper's sprite and maybe with permission the original Duke TC authors thats where I'll get the bugs too. But one problem is that when I try to run Doom builder it says "File not found msvbvm.50.dll" and it wont run, btw If I sound lazy I just would like to point out that all Im really trying to do is give Doom a Starship Troopers mod, not make it fancy or anything (This is probably a turn-off but right now I cant think of another way of wording this)

Enjay said:

I'd say that it was pretty damned amazing.

Indeed

@Enjay about the SST FPS. I remember that game. I were coerced into downloading the demo by a guy I knew from the Phobos team that told me it was awesome. The game looked and played like shit and lagged even more. So yeah, it was pretty awful alright.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how could I forget...

Blackdragon52k said:

thriller

LOL.

And Dweedle is a rip-off of Dweezle Zappa.

Dweedle, you are a moron.

Aldaraia said:

All it would need is for the wad file to be on some server that it can be downloaded from, and a host/hostess.

I have never thought of a female server host as a "hostess." Interesting.

And if things are female, then this is a "postess."

I don't think so.

StarCraft is a military science fiction real-time strategy video game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. The first game of the StarCraft series was released for Microsoft Windows on 31 March 1998.

Starship Troopers is a Dutch-American 1997 military science fiction film, written by Robert A. Heinlein (novel) and Edward Neumeier (Screenplay), directed by dutchman Paul Verhoeven.

dutch devil said:

Starship Troopers, a cliche low budget movie with soap opera actors.

Well what did you expect? Thats what makes it so awesome.

Dweedle: It's the other way around. Starcraft has been influence by Starship Troopers. The movie was a book first.

dutch devil: Did you actually take Starship Troopers seriously? It's clearly not meant to be.

Patrick said:

Well what did you expect? Thats what makes it so awesome.

Really, well the crappy acting and actors they chose for the movie turned me off.

In the book Heinlein criticized US militarism and imperialism in a complex way; drawing parallels between a futurist society and (back then) modern day USA.

When Paul Verhoeven made the movie he made it extremely simple. He removed the explaining dialogue and text so it ended up as basically a pro-war propaganda film. Because it is completely over the top it makes pro-war look ridiculous and leaves the viewer with an anti-war sentiment.
For European viewers it was clearly an attack on the American war-hawks, since this is the stereotype view we have of Americans: Kill everything and then ask questions (Iraq).

The bad acting and soap-appearances of the actors helps make it look more ridiculous, which in this case is good (they look like people from propaganda posters). I loved the scene where Rico's girl dies and instead of being mournful or sad, Rico immediately thinks about war and revenge (much like how Bush reacted after 911).

Part2 sucked though. I still have to see 3 some day... it has been said to be good.