Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Planky

Swine Flu

This is probably going to be as big a thing as SARS. This time people are more panicky because it's starting nearby in Mexico instead of over in China.

Over here we're having a dengue fever epidemic in the north, which is also occurring in various other parts of South America.

The global warming theory does say we will be seeing a rise in epidemics, and it looks like we're getting that.

GreyGhost said:

Looks like we're facing an exotic hybrid that mightn't have occurred naturally.

Yeeeeah, and their "expert" also says AIDS was a manufactured virus, despite the fact that they're almost certain it was around by the 1930s, long before anyone had the technology to manufacture biological weapons.

myk said:

The global warming theory does say we will be seeing a rise in epidemics, and it looks like we're getting that.

Yeah! Global Warming also put a ding in my car door, made the milk spoil, and ran over my dog!! >.>

Planky said:

Madagascar hasn't closed its borders yet.

I don't really understand why healthy adults are taking the most damage, though. That seems like the opposite of what I'd expect.

Never mind.

Danarchy said:
Yeeeeah, and their "expert" also says AIDS was a manufactured virus, despite the fact that they're almost certain it was around by the 1930s, long before anyone had the technology to manufacture biological weapons.

Indeed, that site is prone to heavy political speculation. Note how it mentions supposed sources without even giving names.

Well, we'll just have to see which ones of us will still be alive in a few months :-p

GreyGhost said:

Looks like we're facing an exotic hybrid that mightn't have occurred naturally.

If you believe conspirary theory nuts, that is. Just sampling the other headlines on that site made my head scratch.

Had a few more reports of people in NZ with swine flu like symptoms. Of course it could just be a different strain, but the media loves a story that sells, mass hysteria be damned.

That said, I remember with the SARS outbreak that the majority of people I talked to about it were largely unconcerned - as was I. Exactly the same with this new strain, though with pig jokes going into overtime.

Actually, its the same map. But yes, much better without all that crap surrounding it.

There's only been 2 cases reported in Scotland, with several people they have been in contact with showing symptoms. So the infected are being treated, as are the people they have been in contact with, as are the people they have been in contact.

So I'm staying pretty optimistic for the time being.

/me pulls out his copy of Stephen King's The Stand and grins evily thinking to himself, "The time has come...it has finally come!"

You know, there was a virus called "swine flu" in this older cartoon called Kenny and the Chimp, which turned Kenny's head into a pig. It was cured by a box that caused Emeril Lagasse to pop out and yell "BAM look at that bacon sizzle!" while holding some bacon on a pan.

A bit amusing. What TV Tropes would call a "funny aneurysm moment."

Bashe said:

You know, there was a virus called "swine flu" in this older cartoon called Kenny and the Chimp, which turned Kenny's head into a pig. It was cured by a box that caused Emeril Lagasse to pop out and yell "BAM look at that bacon sizzle!" while holding some bacon on a pan.

A bit amusing. What TV Tropes would call a "funny aneurysm moment."

So I've heard.

He Flexed his muscles, to keep his flock of sheep in line,
He made a virus, that would kill off all the swine

Yeah, I don't see the need to get all worked up over here since there's only about 40 or so cases (I think it went up a bit) reported, yet the government and the media is looking at this like the be-all end-all of viruses. I'll stick to boosting my immune system with Vitamin C for the time being and see what happens.

Not to get into conspiracy bullshit and whatnot, but I wonder what it is that the gov't is NOT telling us about this thing.....

Chilly Willy said:

Yeah! Global Warming also put a ding in my car door, made the milk spoil, and ran over my dog!! >.>

It's very logical, really. Mosquitoes and other insects or small animals that normally act as disease vectors migrate into previously too cold/dry for comfort areas, places where people tend to establish colonies in order to avoid..you know, the very vectors I mentioned.

No need to get all republican and shit.

Kirby said:

Yeah, I don't see the need to get all worked up over here since there's only about 40 or so cases (I think it went up a bit) reported, yet the government and the media is looking at this like the be-all end-all of viruses.

I find that these days just about anything can be made worse by media presence alone.

A relative of my English teacher has this pig flu, and is in quarantine! The threat is getting closer! People here in Scotland are actually getting worried about this, as there are now 26 cases, whereas the bird flu thing never really took off. I personally think the whole thing is exagerated and will pass, but it is still vaguely worrying.

lol media frenzy. Turn off your TV morons. Better yet, look up how many people died from a typical flu last year.