Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackdragon52k

Registered DooM?

I dont know if this was covered before so dont get all pissy and stuff but does anyone know how to get the Original Non-Ultimate version of Doom? The one that just comes with the original 3 episodes? Hopefully for Doom95?

It's very possible there MAY be a few on eBay but expect a heavy pricetag.

There's a couple of 1.666 CD's on eBay, at the moment. Also, there is a set of original 1.7 disks. The CD's are fairly cheap though, at about $10 each. I'd go for those if you want a non-Ultimate Doom version.

You could also go the downgrade route, install an Ultimate version of Doom and then apply the various downgrade patches available on /idgames.

The IWAD v1.9 should run with Doom95. Probably anything from 1.666 and up too, except for demo playback. V1.2 and older won't, since they are missing some sounds and graphics.

I'm curious. Why do you want to buy an old version?
And why do you want to use Doom95, which is known to be even more buggy than the DOS version? Did you try Chocolate Doom or PrBoom already?

Here's an easier way once you use the downgrade patch:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/11_19drp.txt
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/doom/11_19drp.exe

That's one flaw of the idgames database: As it filters EXE files, various key update patches in idstuff don't show up.

LogicDeLuxe said:
I'm curious.

Maybe, though you sounded more critical than curious :p

Doom95 has some bugs the original doesn't, but also extra capabilities. I'm not much of a fan of it but I can see how someone who's used it a lot may have grown fond of it. It's just a game executable; advancements and perfections aren't always important as long as the thing works as expected. That said, I agree trying Chocolate Doom (and PrBoom or even other ports) might come come in handy to him, if he hasn't yet.

I often use v1.9 myself, unless I need The Ultimate DOOM (to play E4, to watch a demo or to play a PWAD).

LogicDeLuxe said:

I'm curious. Why do you want to buy an old version?
And why do you want to use Doom95, which is known to be even more buggy than the DOS version? Did you try Chocolate Doom or PrBoom already?

I figure that he's doing it because of nostalgia and seeing everything back in their original form. And like everyone else said, downgrade patches are the way to go. Although don't use Doom95 cause its pretty much obsolete to nowadays ports, especially on XP, but if you're using it on an old computer along with smaller monitor, just give Chocolate Doom a try anyways since its less buggy than 95.

You can buy it off of Steam too can't you? I don't have steam to verify though.

Aldaraia said:

I figure that he's doing it because of nostalgia and seeing everything back in their original form. And like everyone else said, downgrade patches are the way to go. Although don't use Doom95 cause its pretty much obsolete to nowadays ports, especially on XP, but if you're using it on an old computer along with smaller monitor, just give Chocolate Doom a try anyways since its less buggy than 95.

BINGO!