Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I hope there are still people interested in giving this small map an try now that NDCP2 is out :p This map will be part of an small mapset I am planning with these textures. Its pretty easy because its going to be map01 of an yet unknown number of maps I am going to do. The plan is to keep every map about the same size as this one, but of course they will get harder as you progress.

The map is made for doom2 but you do need an limit removing port as well, I'm not sure if some ports choke on the ANIMDEFS thing thats in the wad. And if you find an bugs that screw up things somehow please let me know, I hope you like the map.

Some screens:

Download:
http://www.speedyshare.com/693620508.html

Wow, this really looks a lot like Quake. I don't really download a whole lot of wads, but this looks pretty damned cool (I fucking love those chairs, by the way). So, as soon as I get off work tonight/tomorrow, I'm going to download and give 'er a shot. :)

That was badass, 10/10. Perfect for a MAP01 imo. Love the textures, easy to find out where to go next, good difficulty and fun encounters.

I liked it a lot, and there was a cool bit of infighting right at the beginning for me.. not sure if that was intentional but good job! Short and sweet, yet fairly intense (especially for me since I'm a N33B).

Tango said:

you make the most beautiful maps.

Well, it is brown after all, and I know how you feel about entirely brown maps.

This does look great though :)

Thanks for the replies.

There is one bug which I found that will get you stuck in the map, if you use the chair closest to the window to jump out you can get stuck. I allready fixed that in the version I have here.

This map does not support jumping, but for people who do jump its possible to get stuck in the map somewhere else as well. The place where you can get stuck is if you jump out of the window near the switch which opens the exit door.

Thats all I found myself so far.

Tango said:

you make the most beautiful maps.

I agree.

Fun map, I slightly disagree with using the sideways opening door's texture from Q and I'd add some shortcut from the final switch to the exit, like lowering the skull-lined 'railings' to allow the player to drop down to the lower floor without having to go back to the first blue door.

Thanks for these comments, I think I will lower those railings or remove them. I could use some different texures for the doors also.

[edit] I made an start with map02:

dutch devil said:

The map is made for doom2 but you do need an limit removing port as well, I'm not sure if some ports choke on the ANIMDEFS thing thats in the wad.

Please, don't be a total nab and say it's 'limitless' in the same sentence as you mention ANIMDEFS

Yeah I'll upload it again sometime this week with an second map added to the first one. I have to finish the second map first, and do some work on the textures.

*Spoilers in feedback*

Good map, good gameplay, but I liked the first one better. The monster spawn trap in map01 felt more like an ambush, in map02 it was too easy to line up the monsters spawned from the traps and mow them down imo. Upon loading the new wad I noticed the sky texture was the default, not the night sky texture. Was this change intentional? The atmosphere of the map feels pretty blah with the default sky imo. I ran the wad using Zdoom 2.2.0 and 2.3.0.

The lack of night sky killed the atmosphere of the map a little bit. (used Zdoom 2.2.0 like Neon) Aside this, the map was pretty good but i still prefer map01 to map02. Managed to do it with pistol start without problem. Good job again dutch devil.

Very nice map02, well designed and put together. My biggest beef is that the SSG secret makes the rest of the map a bit too easy and the ammo balance goes all wacky, since the SSG is so much more effective. I would say add more enemies to the SSG trap to lessen the player's ammo count even more, or just give the player the SSG before the trap with the piles of demons/spectres, and make the secret have a megaarmor or something.

Thanks for play testing, I forgot to add the night sky. I'll probably will add an different custom sky in the final version.

@Udderdude thanks I was thinking of moving the SSG to the area where the spectres spawn. I think I will put an blue armor in the room where the SSG is now.

I still want to add two more maps to complete the set.

I am bumping this thread now that map03 is finished, and it could use some level testing. I also included map01 and map02 for those who haven't played them yet. I also did some redesigning to map02, most of it is adjustments to the architecture. I wasn't too pleased with some rooms, I think it looks better now.

It should be bugfree, I've done my best on creating three maps without any major flaws. But gameplay might need some tweaking here and there. I hope you enjoy the maps.

Some screens, there are more screens of this project floating around on these forums.

Map01
http://i38.tinypic.com/555og4.jpg
Map02
http://i34.tinypic.com/autemt.jpg
Map03
http://i35.tinypic.com/2lcp5ki.jpg

Download link:
http://www.speedyshare.com/308157691.html

Nice progression of difficulty, map03 was definitely more difficult than the other two. I tested on UV. The traps were great, but the sparse ammo was what really made the map a challenge. Had no problem finding where to go next. Very aesthetically pleasing, I don't think I'll ever have the patience to put that much detail into any of my maps. Great mapset, looking forward to the final map.

Thanks for playtesting, I think I add an bit more ammo. Its good to know that you found map03 more difficult than the previous two.

Map04 will have an more evil atmosphere, pentagrams and monster heavy.

Well, I finished playing these three levels on saturday, but only post now...

As always, the global look of the maps is excellent, yet a bit under some of your creations, but it's surely due to the dark, brownish quake-like style.

I only tested them on HMP, since I think maps are to be played on a normal level of difficulty : I'm not a hardcore doomer, nor a time-rusher : just the normal guy, with normal skills ;-). The difficulty is well-balanced, the traps are easy to guess for a regular player, and there is enough ammo, not too much, just what you need.

Life is a bit sparse, but I found it rather pleasing, you can still play the levels quickly without dying every two seconds.

Secrets are nice and pleasant to find, and I found myself playing one of the levels again, recalling I missed the rocket launcher which was on a crate.

There is only one thing I didn't like : the fact that you can be sure that there is either a gunman, an imp or a chaingunner hiding behind almost every crate on the way with "deaf" flag turned on... not that it rendered the game too hard, just that I would have prefered more direct contacts and surely some more "classic" traps, such as a door opening on your back with one or two imps. I'd rather hear a door slide than a growl while walking along a corridor !

Finally, in HMP, I didn't find the last map harder than the two previous, so you don't need to change anything ;-).

As always, an excellent and impressive work, with a special kudo for your work on the light sources and the shadows.