Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
belphegore

ZDoom editing (Doom in Hexen Format)

I'm experimenting and exploring the Doom in Hexen Format editing style and I wondering if there is a reference, guide or faq about the normal doom/doom2 doors and the lifts (details about movement speed and delays)?

Thanks! But I'm searching for the values of the movement speeds and delays that the original doors and lifts in Doom/Doom2 has. Sorry if my question was not clear enough.

If it's that you want, then look here for the constants and here for the values.

So, for example, type 1 Door_Raise is raise 2 units per tic, wait 150 tics, then close.

Okay, thanks!
But I doubt if I understand it. If I make a normal door (should be 4 untis per tic) then the door is pretty slow. Even a door with 16 units per tic is still very slow...
Something like 34 (for the speed) looks like a normal door and 70 or 80 for a fast door...

Normal doors and lifts are 16. Turbo are 64.

Not sure about the delays though, although they are quite possibly in terms of seconds (like 2 or 3), with 35 tics being a second. Try something like 70, 105, or 140.

4 units per tics is 140 units per seconds. A typical door will have a height somewhere between 56 (any smaller, and you can't pass through) and 128 (textures usually aren't any taller, so a taller door would probably not look good). Which means that it opens in less than a second. It's pretty fast IMO. A door with 16 units per tic? That's 560 units per second. So a 128-height door would go from fully closed to fully open in about 229 milliseconds. This doesn't fit my definition of "pretty slow", sorry.

I'm pretty sure the speed parameter in Hexen format for doors and lifts is not in units-per-tics. I'm not sure how it's calculated to be honest, but 16 and 64 is equivalent to the speeds in the original Doom. The delay, however, is definitely in tics though, and 35 will result in the sector being still for exactly one second.

I provided a link to this page which you want to read. It explains everything.

Speeds are in eighths of units per tic, so a turbo door with a speed of 128 has a speed of 16 units per tics, which is 560 units per second; as I explained.

Another dull question: ;)
What is the right action in doombuilder (also doom in hexen format) to make lifts (normal, lower, wait, raise)? And with lifts i mean lifts (with his specific sound) not floors that lowers and raises. I couldn't find the right action. Or lifts are not possible in Doom in hexen format?

What is the number of the linedef effect you want to apply to your lift, in Doom mode? Let's say it's 62: SR lift lower wait raise. That's the lift used in E1M2 at various places.

Looking again at the files I've linked to, we see that Doom action 62 is translated to Plat_DownWaitUpStayLip (tag, P_FAST, PLATWAIT, 0), which after translation of the constants gives Plat_DownWaitUpStayLip (tag, 32, 105, 0), with the "Use" and "Repeat" flags. And this other link I gave says that it's type 206.

So there you go: Doom-in-Doom 62 is Doom-in-Hexen 206 with "use-activated" and "repeatable action" both checked.

Now what are those weird listing files anyway? They're the translation files used internally by ZDoom to convert Doom-format maps to Hexen-format maps. When you play a vanilla map in Doom, the engine automatically convert it into a Doom-in-Hexen format map internally*.

(* With some additional extensions, actually, such as allowing linedefs to have an ID just like sectors or objects do.)

Anything that is possible in Doom format is possible in Hexen format. Otherwise it wouldn't work at all in ZDoom.

Thanks very much, again. Yeah, surely the Doom in Hexen format should do all the same as in Doom and more, but it's hard to learn (know) all this translations if you only know the simple doom/doom2 actions...
And imho it's a generally disarrangement of line actions in db2. They are all only arranged by their linedef action number and so they are mostly disarranged by their action (not door by doors an so on). But that's an other topic...

Okay I tried the 206 linedef action and it works, but it hasn't the same sound. Only for lower (something like a mixture of the lift sound and the lower floor sound). Up sounds the okay. Or have I a hearing defect? ;)

Okay. Here is a small test wad -- or rather zip. Just load it in ZDoom like you would any other mod, and play through the intensely fascinating levels that await you in the new episode. Pay attention to the names displayed in the automap while you play through them. Mostly, pay attention to the sounds of the lift.

Once you're finished playing with them, you can extract the maps from it and compare them in Doom Builder. You can even run LIFT_DID alone in vanilla Doom to compare and make sure.

I do another lift in an other wad and it sounds okay.
There must be anything wrong with that lift or the whole wad I wrote before (sounds still strange)...