Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Dreamcast back from the dead???

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-42/1310463

I was just on yahoo and discovered this gem. Apparently Yahoo games is thinking that the Sega Dreamcast is coming back from the dead. Now personally, I think that this is a pretty stupid thing to report. Not saying that I have anything against the Dreamcast or Sega, but they make it seem like buying an old game system is something new and phenomenal. Now while it might seem like a different perspective for people older than me, but I don't think any of my faggy graphic-whore freshman classmates would even pay two cents for a new Dreamcast let alone even a PlayStation 2. What do you think of this whole "old game system" idea coming back from the dead?

Yes, buying old systems makes you cool.

Buying new systems, on the other hand, makes you gay.

edit: and you were doing it before it was cool so you're cool squared.

I'm not saying that buying a new system makes you gay or is bad, I just find it comical on how they are randomly bringing this up now. They make it seem that the failing economy is going to force gamers to buy Super Nintendo's and Sega Genesis's and ditch their Wii's and Xbox 360's. And also how fickle many younger gamers are nowadays, they probably wouldn't even shell out 5 bucks for a Dreamcast. Overall I thought it was a stupid story that I just wanted to share to everybody here on Doomworld.

Heh, I have a Dreamcast and I payed like $60 for it when it was only 1-2 years old. I have like no games for it, though. It's practically good as new!

Heh the dreamcast....the only time I ever saw it in action was at a toy store in Padua, attached to a not-so-good video projector. Didn't feel like 128-bit awesomeness to me, though :-(

You could always donate it to the AVGN, who will most likely take an enormous diarrhea dump on it or something (although I'm pretty sure he will have already got a dozen of those by now. I meant Dreamcasts).

I have a Dreamcast also...as with most Sega systems there's about four of five awesome games and a ton of shitty ones.

Anyway, there's always going to be a market for getting old systems (I bought an NES around last Christmas) but it'll never really be a mainstream one. Most people aren't interested in getting game consoles that don't have cutting-edge graphics and processors and all that. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means Yahoo probably has no idea what they're on about.

Zaldron said:

Bought mine the day it was released, 9/9/99

Have mucho games. I was buying a game a week back then.

I got one back in '02 or '03 for 59.99, and I ended up getting four games for it. Atari Classics, Soul Reaver, Jet Set Radio, and Soul Calibur. While I admit Soul Calibur and Soul Reaver were really good games, I still can't figure out why I bought the damn thing. Shenmue was boring as all get out, and while I was impressed with the better graphics on Tony Hawk over the Playstation version, I already had the Playstation version. To this day I still can't figure out the amazement over the Dreamcast, most games on it you could get for Playstation or PS2, and it seemed like most of the exclusives weren't that great. I really don't see the recession causing a great increase in classic gaming, considering quite a few games for the older systems, such as NES, SNES, decent PS games, cost as much as used games for the current generation on Amazon.

Jello said:

To this day I still can't figure out the amazement over the Dreamcast

1. lack of copy protection kept its popularity up only with enthusiasts, and wannabe "commercial" developers with facepalmable disorders
2. Tthsthonic Adventhure BETH GAME EVERF (not)
3. THE VMUs HAVE DISPLAYS ON THEM! revolutionary
4. Soul Calibur the PERFECT FIGHTING GAME
5. You can dial it up and game on the INTERNET on SEGANET
6. 32-bit color with filtered textures and fast framerate eat that n64! (PowerVR sucks though)

Yeah, I have no idea why I got mine. I think because I wanted to play Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur, nether of which I ever got. :/ All I have is Grandia II, which is meh.

Well I love mine, I still play it. In fact I was playing UT on it recently. Back when I got it on the internet those were some of my best gaming days. I am also a self proclaimed Sega fanboy and will always be, if they released another system I'd buy it without hesitation.

It turns out that there are still Japanese game developers making games for the Dreamcast; from what I have heard from some of my Dreamcast-playing, Japanese-speaking friends (2 twin brothers w/ Cerebral Palsy) that the games are quite good...if you don't mind playing mostly RPG's.

I don't know why, but I always liked the Dreamcast more than most other console. Creepy.

Zaldron said:

Yes, buying old systems makes you cool.

Buying new systems, on the other hand, makes you gay.

But if I bought a PS3 when they came out, that means I'll be cool later, right?

Use3D said:

Well I love mine, I still play it. In fact I was playing UT on it recently. Back when I got it on the internet those were some of my best gaming days. I am also a self proclaimed Sega fanboy and will always be, if they released another system I'd buy it without hesitation.

I'm not really dissing it, I'm just saying I wish I had some games for it, and I can never find any. You can find games for PS/PS2/XBox/Game Boy everywhere, but never any DC/N64 games.

Bucket said:

Oh noes, you broke it

Danarchy said:

You can find games for PS/PS2/XBox/Game Boy everywhere, but never any DC/N64 games.

Well like the video said, Ebay would be your best bet when it comes to finding old games. Amazon.com is a good bet as well, as it's where I get most of my older video games.

Actually, I don't even own a Dreamcast. None of the games really interest me at the moment. The only 2 I'd think about getting would be Mortal Kombat Gold and Soul Calibur. The only system I own from Sega right now is the Saturn, which I mainly bought in order to buy every console port of Doom. The SlaveDriver engine games (Powerslave, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake) didn't look that bad to me either.

BTW, if you want to talk about a system with hard to find games, look at the Atari Jaguar and Panasonic 3DO. God, I can't find a good copy of the 3DO port of Doom or Wolfenstein 3D anywhere!

Mattfrie1 said:

Mortal Kombat Gold

NO. It's a horrible, broken piece of crap. The only good thing about it is the music. It was the first game I got since Sonic Adventure was delayed a few weeks in my location, which I pre-ordered. My DC won't even read MKG anymore.

Quake3 and Unreal Tournament were excellent on the Dreamcast. If you can get a copy of Half-Life for Dreamcast on the internet, it's also a pretty good port.

Bucket said:

Yeah, 10 years later.

good dreamcast games:

skies of arcadia
ecco: defender of the future
soul caliber
marvel vs capcom 2
power stone 2
street fighter 3: third strike
dead or alive 2
rayman 2
sonic adventure 1 and 2
soul reaver
quake 3
gunbird 2
mars matrix
shenmue
Resident Evil: code veronica
crazy taxi
seaman
jet grind radio

I love my Dreamcast. In fact I broke it out a couple days ago and played some Marx Matrix. Heh, I'm glad I kept that game; I noticed that it's pretty expensive to buy off of ebay.

MikeRS said:

Dreamcast never died, like vinyl records.

Well when you look at it, no game system ever really "dies". At least any game system that has come out since the 80's has some kind of a cult following. It's just that the "new generation" of gamers usually doesn't like to look back that fondly on older game systems. And due to the fact that Yahoo! games seems to be new generation gamers, they look at the Dreamcast and scoff at it. At least the game companies themselves are looking into the older game market, with things like Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox live arcade.

StupidBunny said:

Anyway, there's always going to be a market for getting old systems (I bought an NES around last Christmas) but it'll never really be a mainstream one. Most people aren't interested in getting game consoles that don't have cutting-edge graphics and processors and all that. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means Yahoo probably has no idea what they're on about.

My exact opinion on the whole matter. To bad no one I know is really that interested in older games as I am.

Also, thanks Use3D for giving me a first hand view on how bad MK Gold is. I'll make sure I won't buy it now. :)

There's still a market for Famiclones, and I've currently three of them (all of the newer "NES-on-a-chip" kind. Easily beat MAME when you don't have a decent PC handy... (BTW, the days where you could get 1000% speed on Pacman are gone...)

Maes said:

There's still a market for Famiclones, and I've currently three of them (all of the newer "NES-on-a-chip" kind. Easily beat MAME when you don't have a decent PC handy... (BTW, the days where you could get 1000% speed on Pacman are gone...)

My DVD player does Xvid/Divx and MAME roms from DVD/SD/USB.

Zaldron said:

My DVD player does Xvid/Divx and MAME roms from DVD/SD/USB.

Which one is it? I want it :-p (Unless it's an Xbox...)

I heard Half-life was suppose to be ported to the Dreamcast but was scraped. Shame. It always makes me sad when a console fails :(

Also the Dreamcast controller looks stupid as hell.