Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Funny Italian anti-DVD piracy ad

This was actually projected in Italian movie theaters in 2006, before the actual movies started.

Translation:

Guy:
"Enough with studying!"
"Listen...wanna watch a nice movie?"
Bitch:
"Well...why not."
"What movie is it?"
Guy:
"Just for you, dear, a national first (preview)!"

(TV looks like shit)

Guy:
"Sit back, now it starts..."
"It's a great movie!"

Bitch:
"But I can't see anything!"
"Don't tell me you bought this on the street!"
Guy:
"Why, of course, it just got out today in the theaters!"
Bitch:
"So let me get this straight....you invite me over to your home
to watch a movie, and you got a PIRATED one???"
Guy:
"Uh..oh...listen...please don't go, let's sit here and talk this over...."
Bitch:
"Know what? I'm going to the movies with Marco and you're really a LOSER!"

(pushes him down)

Guy: "Nooo...wait....umphhh..."

Announcer: "Whoever uses pirated DVDs is a LOSER!"

The Italian word "sfigato" used in the "ad" actually means someone who's unlucky, a loser, and doesn't get any, so it's quite heavy ;-)

Not the first time they made anti-piracy ads that leveraged on the "loser" factor, Universal Music had created a nerdy cartoon character (Rocco Tarocco) that was "losered" by everyone, including his girlfriend, for selling copied CDs.

I suppose it's better than the "You wouldn't download a car" things we get over here.

Bucket said:

I suppose it's better than the "You wouldn't download a car" things we get over here.

The "you wouldn't download....you wouldn't steal..." etc. thing is international, they slap it on every movie projection and rented DVD even in Greece.

Recently I saw one with two very young kids sitting on a couch trying to watch a movie by themselves. It was blurry and they started accusing their dad of "being a pirate" and eventually got up and dumped the disc somewhere. Unlike this one it got the style all wrong as the kids acting that way seemed utterly artificial.

Kirby: The embedding doesn't work for that video "disabled by request"

What I don't understand is why they slap these adverts onto payed movies. It doesn't matter if you buy it, rent it or see the movie in a theater, you have to sit through some annoying FBI notice or piracy ad. Yet if you download it, you get to cut out all the BS. They should just make these TV adverts and leave movies alone.

I guess the old "if you pirate movies, you'll make the stuntman homeless" commercials weren't working.

nothing beats
<insert timelined don't copy that floppy here>

Not movies but still keyword dubbing would make it relevant the same.

Danarchy said:

I guess the old "if you pirate movies, you'll make the stuntman homeless" commercials weren't working.

And they shouldn't work cos it's complete BS. Movies make more than enough very quickly to pay the the people who wrote it and worked on it etc. (unimportant), the rest goes into the pockets of the celebs and the greedy corporations who own the copyright (important).

Scet said:

What I don't understand is why they slap these adverts onto payed movies.

The adverts - like the holograms on Windows CD's - are a "proof of authenticity" device and instead of complaining you should be thankful they exist. They're probably all that's keeping most of the forum regulars from being shot by FBI copyright enforcers.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

And they shouldn't work cos it's complete BS. Movies make more than enough very quickly to pay the the people who wrote it and worked on it etc. (unimportant), the rest goes into the pockets of the celebs and the greedy corporations who own the copyright (important).

Well I think the real retarded part is that anyone who worked on the movie who isn't an exec, celebrity, producer, or director gets all their money upfront. No royalties for them. So why would they even bitch? They got theirs.

Danarchy said:

Well I think the real retarded part is that anyone who worked on the movie who isn't an exec, celebrity, producer, or director gets all their money upfront. No royalties for them. So why would they even bitch? They got theirs.

That can be "countered" with the theory that piracy discourages shooting new movies or somesuch, and thus generate less demand and less work for those people, be them technicians or extras. Sure, if somene can afford not to work in any production anymore or could do with working less than he does, then yeah, no valid reason for bitching.

In extreme cases it could (theoretically) cause a movie not to generate enough revenue to cover its own production costs (although some movies had this happen to them way before digital piracy), but even in those cases the tech personnel and extras got paid in advance, and then it's the production company and anyone with a royalty contract that got into deep shit.

With the number of things having historically killed it, music should be deader than dead by now. Yet somehow.......

Dgon92 said:

Replace "music" with "DVDs" and you'll have this.

Macrovision has always been in the business of rights killing. I wonder how it's employees sleep at night?

Csonicgo said:

I wonder how it's employees sleep at night?

I would assume on a pile of money.

Quasar said:

"Home Cooking Is Killing the Restaurant Industry"

Heh, that's actually very true right now, mostly because people are realising how much cheaper it is to cook at home with the economy falling apart at the moment.

And some time in the future we'll have this:

"Home Growing Is Killing the Farming Industry"

which roughly translates as:

"Home Growing Is Killing Food Prices"

which subtely translates as:

"Home Growing Is Killing Depopulation"

My girlfriend appreciates the pirating I do and usually gives me requests.

Mancubus II said:

My girlfriend appreciates the pirating I do and usually gives me requests.

Just the way my dad does as he buys them from someone he knows. Not shitty movie theatre rips but DVD copy quality.

Needless to say, there are tons of fakes and mockeries of the original ad on youtube, that run along the lines of

Bitch: "WTF?! With all the DVD-rips out there on eMule, you buy fake DVDs from the street? And it's a screamer too!"

Guy: "But honey...I don't even know how to use eMule!"

Bitch: "Shame, even my 3 yo brother knows how to use it. You REALLY ARE a LOSER!"

Announcer: "Who uses pirated DVD's is a LOSER! Who doesn't know how to use eMule is a LOSER too. Whoever makes such clips, fucks them both".