Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Oldskool DMers Unite!

I just had the idea to start the Doomworld's Oldskool DMers Club! I like to make and DM in 1995 style DM maps. If you do as well, reply here and we'll start the Doomworld's Oldskool DMers Group.

I'll join If I can run Doom95 using a phone connection

Patrick Pineda said:

I'll join If I can run Doom95 using a phone connection

Mmmm... sure, but not sure who will play with you! I like to DM in Zdoom. The main impetus for the group is DMing in oldskool style maps.

You call that being 'oldskool'? Load up Doom in dosbox god-dammit and use its ipx emulator. You can't load 1995 maps in zdoom and say that's 'oldskool'.

Sounds like its time to bring out the old, cobwebbed Death Manager IIRC and luckily we have DOSBOX to emulate the DOS experience, it won't feel oldskool if we use ZDaemon now.

Hellbent said:

I like to DM in Zdoom.

Shit dude that's way too old school for me.

Doesn't Chocolate Doom support Internet play? That would "old school" enough for me. I don't quite feel like fiddling about with DOSBox.

I gots an oldskool dm map that needs some playtesting. Any takers? You choose the port, but I can't host.

i used to run around on "ledges" when i was 13 and pretend i was DM'ing before i figured out how to network and when i finally did learn how i realized how crap those maps were.
does that count?

I could set up a chocolate doom dedicated server if you ask. It will be based in Canada on a 8000kbps upstream.

I'm in. Hell, I still have my old IBM 386 with gravis joystick =D

I'm on ZD and ST with the same name.

I don't know how "OLD" you goin' with this but I'll won't play CLASSIC DOOM no earlier than DOOMlegacy. ver.142 or Doomsday or ZDOOM.

Tsar,

sorry for the late reply. I was going more for classic themed maps than classic themed game settings or netcode or what have you.

I play predominantly on zdoom. The reason I started this thread is because I have made so many dm maps, but only a few people play them. I figure maybe people who appreciate simple dm maps that don't have fancy detail would maybe be more receptive to playing my wads. I focus purely on gameplay over looks. My experience is the more energy I put into how a map looks the worse it plays. Right now I'm playing pretty regularly with 3 other people. We play mostly my maps which get good reviews by those who play them. So if you like that oldskool look without the busy detracting detail, then maybe you'll like my wads!

I prefer playing with high resolutions. Not sure if chocolate doom supports that? I also play with jumping and freelook, but I'd be happy to play without those and whatever other dm settings people like.

Edward850 said:

I could set up a chocolate doom dedicated server if you ask. It will be based in Canada on a 8000kbps upstream.

That'd be great! Although I prefer playing with high resolutions. Not sure if chocolate doom supports that? I also usually play with jumping and freelook, but I'm in no way particularly partial to those settings. I'd be happy to play without those and whatever other dm settings people like.