Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Has anyone ever used Shout Cast? Mixed with Doom?

Im talking about stuff like Internet Radio and all those. I tried it and I thought it was great, how any person could walk off the street and make a radio station. Also, I like the on demand music, if you use Winamp.

I have to admit, Im even running my own radio station : avery1555radio.co.cc to listen, and I find Shout Cast is awesome.

Maybe Doom could be brought into this technology, for example, Doomworld updates or a Doom modding station. I know Id listen to a Doom radio show.

What are your opinions?

1. Timezones. The Doom community is made up of people around the world, and with radio you'd need to be listening to it in real time.

2. Amount of content. While the Doom community is active, I don't think there would be even nearly enough content to justify a purely Doom-based radio channel (not to mention that not everyone wants to bring their stuff out to the public for hype).

A better idea, if you're so inclined on a Doom radio, would be a weekly, bi-weekly, or just sporadically updated podcast-I-mean-mp3-files-everyone-can-download. That way you'd fix both the timezone and content issues.

Jodwin said:

1. Timezones. The Doom community is made up of people around the world, and with radio you'd need to be listening to it in real time.

2. Amount of content. While the Doom community is active, I don't think there would be even nearly enough content to justify a purely Doom-based radio channel (not to mention that not everyone wants to bring their stuff out to the public for hype).

A better idea, if you're so inclined on a Doom radio, would be a weekly, bi-weekly, or just sporadically updated podcast-I-mean-mp3-files-everyone-can-download. That way you'd fix both the timezone and content issues.

First, its just an idea I dont really plan to take action on it. Second, you can do listings in Eastern, Central etc timezones considering of course the majority of Doomworld members either live in Canada or the USA. And also Im just talking about a half-hour show maybe broadcasted on a certain date. I dont really plan to take any action on it just thought it would be cool.

Sure, let's make a Doom Twitter account too and let's all jump into the bandwagon.

avery1555 said:

Second, you can do listings in Eastern, Central etc timezones considering of course the majority of Doomworld members either live in Canada or the USA.

What part of "The Doom community is made up of people around the world" is so hard to understand?

avery1555 said:

And also Im just talking about a half-hour show maybe broadcasted on a certain date.

So there's no reason it couldn't be a podcast either, then.

Jodwin said:

What part of "The Doom community is made up of people around the world" is so hard to understand?

So there's no reason it couldn't be a podcast either, then.

Im saying the majority of people here are from the areas of the USA and Canada.

And im not actually making this so why are you so persuasive on podcast? Also, Internet Radio is more global. Podcasts limit people to iPods, while Internet Radio can be heard on the PSP, iPod, PC and other methods.

Isn't/Wasn't there an Unidoom radio? It really was about Doom as I was often hearing Doom remixes. Too bad the rest of the music was mostly electronic or even ambiental, and not heavy metal as it should, so my interest was low and I was easily put off. I only listen to rock music on the radio.

But once in awhile it had interviews, giving me the opportunity to hear Doomers' voices :) For example there was an interview between Amaster (rip) and Team Eternity (Quasar and SoM) about Eternity Engine's then-recent ExtraData :D

Good stuff then.

avery1555 said:

Podcasts limit people to iPods, while Internet Radio can be heard on the PSP, iPod, PC and other methods.

I can listen to Podcasts on an old Pentium 1 PC with 64 MB of RAM I keep just for long, menial tasks like large downloads, and oh woe, I can even store them on a cheapo MP3 player I got for Eur 17 a few years ago. It may be due to the fact that they are nothing but a downloadable mp3 file, but then again who am I to tell.

Here's a podcast of my own.

BTW, of the methods you mentioned only PCs and maaaaybe PSPs can access Internet radio and podcasts directly, while iPods and media players in general can only playback stored audio files, and require a "primary" device to fill them up.

Maes said:

BTW, of the methods you mentioned only PCs and maaaaybe PSPs can access Internet radio and podcasts directly, while iPods and media players in general can only playback stored audio files, and require a "primary" device to fill them up.

Actually, I can access Shoutcast perfectly with my PSP and an iPod Touch (gen 2) with an application. Shoutcast support is built right into the Network tab on the PSP screen.

iPod Touch internet radio, research before you post, please :

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/iphone-gems-12-internet-radio-apps-for-iphone-ipod-touch

AND for PSP users :

http://www.moreprime.com/2007/12/18/psp-internet-radio/

and also, yes podcasts are just MP3 files, but you can access them right off a PSP, which uses RSS, or an MP3 player without going on a PC first, making them very restricted and painful to update, unless you use iTunes of course.

WOAH your Podcast just freaked me out, lmao.

The PSP is effectively a small portable computer with Wi-Fi and TCP/IP capabilities, so it can access whatever a laptop, netbook, palmtop or desktop PC can, if within the range of a wireless access point. That's why "you don't need a PC".

Idem for the iPod touch, which also has Wi-Fi connectivitity (classical iPods don't have them, and you would still need an active access point to use them in that manner).

In any case, accessing live radio requires both an Internet connection, a device with enough hardware and software to be able to surf and playback audio in real time, and a decent connection speed. I don't see how that would widen your audience compared to a simple podcast.

WOAH your Podcast just freaked me out, lmao.

I hereby propose this as avery1555's custom title, with a link to said postcast.

Maes said:

The PSP is effectively a small portable computer with Wi-Fi and TCP/IP capabilities, so it can access whatever a laptop, netbook, palmtop or desktop PC can, if within the range of a wireless access point.

Idem for the iPod touch, which also has Wi-Fi connectivitity (classical iPods don't have them, and you would still need an active access point to use them in that manner).

In any case, accessing live radio requires both an Internet connection, a device with enough hardware and software to be able to surf and playback audio in real time, and a decent connection speed. I don't see how that would widen your audience compared to a simple podcast.

...all you need is 48kbs to play internet radio without buffering. Even one bar connections to the internet could play that.

But with PSP, you dont need to install any other software, its built into Firmware 3.80 and beyond. And for the iPhone, all you need is a one stop trip to the app store.

Also, wifi points are everywhere you go, hotels, resturants, most homes, community building etc. Its easy to connect and listen to media (at least in North America and America) but you live in Europe I presume? Because you said Euros a while back I think...

Maes said:

I hereby propose this as avery1555's custom title, with a link to said postcast.

lol

avery1555 said:

Also, Internet Radio is more global.

Wait...what? How is something that's restricted by time more global than something that the user can use on demand? Everyone around the world can download a mp3 file that someone else uploads on his website and listen to it while reading the morning news on the net, but if you happen to be asleep while there's a radio program going on on the other side of the planet, that's not very global if you ask me.

Jodwin said:

Wait...what? How is something that's restricted by time more global than something that the user can use on demand? Everyone around the world can download a mp3 file that someone else uploads on his website and listen to it while reading the morning news on the net, but if you happen to be asleep while there's a radio program going on on the other side of the planet, that's not very global if you ask me.

You just shot down one of my points, there a lots of reasons why its good too. I can single out one bad thing about a podcast too and make it look terrible. Sure, its inconvenient because of that one point but podcasts are too for the fact of lack of easy access.

But talking about Podcasts in this thread kinda is getting out of hand and defeating the purpose of this thread, which was your opinions on Shout Casts, not "Shout Casts vs. Podcasts, which is better."

Sure thing, mobile internet is cheap, affordable and widespread. Everybody has at least a PSP or iPod touch in his pocket, and downloads apps and does e-shopping on the go.

No need for "nerdy" stuff like downloading files on an old-fashioned and not-at-all-trendy PC to later download on a non-iPod media player without iTunes. Needless to say, anyone not using an iPhone is a nerdy loser who can't get any.

And, God Forbid, woe be it to anyone who still uses FM radio or a normal TV! If it's not "internet radio" or "web TV", you're t3h f41l and at least 100 angry ninjas will chop your head with an anime slash!

Maes said:

Sure thing, mobile internet is cheap, affordable and widespread. Everybody has at least a PSP or iPod touch in his pocket, and downloads apps and does e-shopping on the go.

No need for "nerdy" stuff like downloading files on an old-fashioned and not-at-all-trendy PC to later download on a non-iPod media player without iTunes. Needless to say, anyone not using an iPhone is a nerdy loser who can't get any.

Waaaaaiiiiiiitttttttt a second, you just contradicted what you said in your own response.

You are seriously running out of ideas, arnt you? lol.

Again, defeating the purpose of this thread. Im not talking about Podcasts and I dont care if they are more efficent or whatever. Im wondering about your opinions of Shout Cast and how it can be incorporated with modern gaming (or old fashioned gaming, in this case)

Actually, you sound like the clueless one because you're proposing something less functional over something more functional, both of which you don't seem to fully understant. I'd hate having to repeat my own and other's points about it.

To your gaming + shoutcasts points...duh, depends on the community-generated content behind it, I presume, although it better fits MMO games imho, which have an ongoing virtual "world" behind them, and games with a really vast modding and spin-off community.

Maes said:

Actually, you sound like the clueless one because you're proposing something less functional over something more functional. I'd hate having to repeat my own and other's points about it.

I never said you were clueless and hope you didnt take it that way, if so im sorry.

But there are points for both sides of the story, so no one is really right or wrong. Read above for me past points and your points and youll see there is an equal amount of advantages and disadvantages to the two.

And please, dont repeat any points, I dont want to talk about Podcasts in a Shout Cast discussion thread.

I know Sgt Crispy did Doom Radio a while back (2004?) don't know if any of them are around.

I did, however, host Quake Radio (QRADIO) for about 2 years.

avery1555 said:

And please, dont repeat any points, I dont want to talk about Podcasts in a Shout Cast discussion thread.

That would be convenient, but you will sooner or later be faced with the fact that this kind of content is better suited to be podcasted (or just published the usual way), rather than having to hunt for it to be listened to "live" and being forgotten after 10 seconds of having listened to it. Let alone that not everybody would be able to listen to it (don't assume that someone who can read English as a foreign language, can also listen to it and fully grasp it).

At least I prefer reading a new mod review and soon after clicking on the link to get the WADs, perhaps after seeing some screenshots intermixed with review reading.

Maes said:

That would be convenient, but you will sooner or later be faced with the fact that this kind of content is better suited to be podcasted (or just published the usual way), rather than having to hunt for it "live".

At least I prefer reading a new mod review and soon after clicking on the link to get the WADs, perhaps after seeing some screenshots intermixed with review reading.

*smack*

ok fine, your way is better then

avery1555 said:

*smack*

ok fine, your way is better then

Didn't say that, but you never actually made any valid counterpoints to me or Jodwin when faced with the fact that internet radio is not the panacea you cracked it up to be.

printz said:

Isn't/Wasn't there an Unidoom radio? It really was about Doom as I was often hearing Doom remixes. Too bad the rest of the music was mostly electronic or even ambiental, and not heavy metal as it should, so my interest was low and I was easily put off. I only listen to rock music on the radio.

Still exists. Nobody else uses it anymore, though. A Doom Radio sort of thing has been proposed once after Sgt Crispy stopped in 2004 or so, but it never went anywhere. Amaster's show about video games in general was the closest thing recently, but he kinda isn't around to do it anymore.

Bloodshedder said:

Still exists. Nobody else uses it anymore, though. A Doom Radio sort of thing has been proposed once after Sgt Crispy stopped in 2004 or so, but it never went anywhere. Amaster's show about video games in general was the closest thing recently, but he kinda isn't around to do it anymore.

I never even knew it existed and its an interesting subject

I was generally interested in something like this, as well as having any kind of news show repeat itself in 9 hours to help with timezone issues.

The main difficulty's to anything like this is getting it off the ground. You need resources, of which not everybody has. A server costs time and money, and you also need a good selection of music (people get sick of generic rock if its all the same thing, repeated 5 times over the same day). Its certainly possible, but theirs a lot of pre-preparation required. Also, I would not recommend shoutcast as your broadcaster if you want to be seriously dedicated. My experience with shoutcast servers has been... annoying.

Edward850 said:

I was generally interested in something like this, as well as having any kind of news show repeat itself in 9 hours to help with timezone issues.

The main difficulty's to anything like this is getting it off the ground. You need resources, of which not everybody has. A server costs time and money, and you also need a good selection of music (people get sick of generic rock if its all the same thing, repeated 5 times over the same day). Its certainly possible, but theirs a lot of pre-preparation required. Also, I would not recommend shoutcast as your broadcaster if you want to be seriously dedicated. My experience with shoutcast servers has been... annoying.

I already have a server and a radio station, powered by Shout Cast and I love it. Its annoying to set up, though lol

avery1555 said:

Waaaaaiiiiiiitttttttt a second, you just contradicted what you said in your own response.

Heh - you should learn to recognise sarcasm, it's the second or third language of most of the regulars.

Internet radio's fine for music but as a means of delivering news and information to a global community it's less than ideal unless you're prepared to re-broadcast items of interest at 6 or 8 hour intervals so us foreigners can keep up with what's going on.

Another problem is that there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot happening anymore. Witness the sparsely updated front page, for instance. It would be hard to squeeze out more than 30 minutes a week in spoken news, even with some commentary. Perhaps interesting forum threads could be highlighted, but a person could just go look at the forum themselves.

Unidoom radio was fantastic, especially when it came time to do an IDL draft. Those broadcasts would always be live, and we'd call in over Skype, Ralphis would run DJ games and stuff. The music part was sort of so-so, but not horrible. Sadly it all went to shit when Assmaster died, he was really the driving force behind UD radio for the few months it was very active.

I never understood internet radio stations. Isn't it illegal to spread material without paying the owners?!

I never heard anyone complaining about it, yet downloading sites (like the pirate bay) are often in the news. Are there special rules for podcasts? or does no-one really care?

I don't know what you mean. Established Internet radio stations pay royalties to record labels (or whoever) to play music, just like terrestrial stations.

The vast majority of podcast content is being created by the people making the podcasts, not recycling other people's music or whatever.