Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Good Friends

I've played Doom on Skulltag from time to time, but most of my muliplayer doom experience involves me and my geeky friends setting up our over-powered computers and trying our wits at Deus Vult, Alien Vendetta or some other mod. Other times I play it on XBLA.

Does anyone here still play Doom with close friends? When you do, do you do it "Classic" style?

Yeah, me and a friend always play co-op via LAN. We just link up our pc`s and play through pwads.
So far we have finished Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Momento Mori 1 + 2, Alien Vendetta, Icarus, Deadalus, Eternal Doom, Vile Flesh, Requiem, Hell Revealed 1 + 2 and Scythe together.

We are currently playing Scythe 2, and we`ll go for Plutonia 2 after we are finished.

Great times =)

Once better or proper co-op support for Oblige pops in, that should be fun with megawads made by it.

I still play Doom, an slowly converting my friends, already got one, but it's going to take a bit, mainly til summer when my friends steal my room for the computer use...

Lets count the comps in total with friends....:

3 Laptops
2 Desktops

Ok, thats enough, but I need one more after the first 3 are converted.

Multiplayer Doom just isn't my thing. I don't really enjoy Deathmatch, and in Co-op my friends think it's a super fun idea to kill me, making me lose all my weapons and respawning somewhere near the beginning of a rather large level.

I'm a solo person when it comes to Doom, so it seems.

Reevys said:

and in Co-op my friends think it's a super fun idea to kill me, making me lose all my weapons and respawning somewhere near the beginning of a rather large level.

The only co-op I've played with friends is on the Xbox and XBLA ports of Doom. I just installed Skulltag on a friends computer, so maybe I'll be able to get him to play it some day.

Patrick Pineda said:

Does anyone here still play Doom with close friends? When you do, do you do it "Classic" style?

I'm the only person I can think of that bothers to play doom outside of school. A lot for that matter.

Patrick Pineda said:

i have one old comrade-in-arms left out of the 4-5 guys who used to gather in his basement. we've played through every megawad we could find. unfortunately, we don't get much time for playing nowadays due to work at what not, i hope we'll have a free weekend soon to blast through plutonia 2. we also deathmatched a lot. when we loaded doom (skulltag) on a LAN last year after getting bored with everyone crouching around in cs:s and cod4 some guys watched us disbelieving: this is doom! woah... you guys play fast. heh. at least the guys recognized the game.

what do you mean by classic style, with no mouselook and no jumping? i might (i reverted to classic play in gzdoom recently after watching many demos because i like the steady, less shaky mouse movement) but my friend can't live without mouselook, and jumping in places of vanilla wads where he doesn't belong and getting stuck.

i have some dm demos recorded in the cellar 10 years ago with legacy 1.25, i got them to play back in dosbox, albeit only in a smallish window. i can't get fullscreen. i'll convert them to movies when i figure out how to use fraps or whatever capture program. most of the demos end when some dude leaves the game frustrated. the best one was after he killed himself with his own rocket, respawning in its way...

My friends don't normally play Doom. When they do, it's usually on Skulltag and just doing some good old deathmatch on the stock DM maps.

Back in the day (96/97). I had friends who played Doom. We used to deathmatch and Coop all the time. Now I am the only one who has come back to it. So no friends for me. :(

I have only gotten my friends to play single player stuff. They have seen me deathmatching, and remark on how ridiculously fast and hectic it is (sometimes - they have seen the extreme examples of >10 people on exec.wad)

Modern shooters often have built-in 'slowness' - you might have to reload, actions like melee interrupt other things, or you have limited time to sprint before you have to rest, or you are crouching to increase accuracy. It's not always bad - I liked multiplayer Ravenshield (rainbow six 3) because your ability to sneak about reduced the need for running like a maniac into battle. But I think even the new quake games and other "oldschool" style FPS games still don't match doom's furious deathmatching! Doom does have weapon switching and firing delay, otherwise it would be too fast, but I can't think of a faster game.

/off-topic

i have 2 friends who play doom. 1 is my girlfriend, who was actually the one who got me into doom in the first place. we occaisionly go online on skulltag. my other friend plays it very rarely, and never online. he always uses cheats too...
my other friends ridicule me about it, saying things like "doom is gay" and "why are you playing that old crap when you could play halo 3 or fallout 3?"

Ultraboy94 said:

my other friends ridicule me about it, saying things like "doom is gay" and "why are you playing that old crap when you could play halo 3 or fallout 3?"

Same situation here. Why do people seem so shallow nowadays? It seems like if the game didn't come out at least two years ago it turns into crap.

Two of my friends play Doom. One of them plays the 360 version a little bit and the other actually plays the PC version. I've been trying to get him to get the PlayStation version to deathmatch, but he hasn't bought it yet. All of my other friends have the same response that I quoted from Ultraboy94.

Ultraboy94 said:

Aye. I have a friend who, as he put it, "do [I] play any games that came out after 2003?"

none of my friends play doom.
i'm trying to get my roommate to fire up a game with me sometime, but he works during the day and i work at night so we only consistently see each other 1 day a week.

Mattfrie1 said:

Same situation here. Why do people seem so shallow nowadays? It seems like if the game didn't come out at least two years ago it turns into crap.

because these people equal pretty graphics with good gameplay. sure they don't have a clue, but unfortunately there are many of them.

some might also be used with the slow pace of modern "realistic" shooters (cs, cod, tom clancy's whatever) and feel overwhelmed by lighting fast old deathmatch. because of this, some players have a mouse sens so low that they'd have trouble keeping up with doom's swing shots.