Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord_Dweedle

whats more dangerous? Spider Demon or Cyber Demon?

IMO I find the Spider Demon more Dangerous in both Open and Closed areas and only find the Cyber Demon dangerous is small closed Areas.(Mostly due to Splash damage from rockets)

IMO I find the Spider more Dangerous. Whats your views?

My view is the Spider Demon is more dangerous because people were expecting an epic end boss for Doom 1 and this oversized scanned toy model shows up and jeopardizes the epicness of the first installment by being a pansy pushover.

Define 'dangerous'.

Spider demons for me. Those hitscan bullets of theirs do a load of damage, making them a menace in any situation, and downright mean in open areas.

HOWEVER, Cyberdemons are not susceptible to the 1-hit BFG kill trick that the Spider demon is.

OT: Heh, Firefox though that a suitable spelling correction for "hitscan" was "Tuscany". :P

Spiderdemon again, because of hitscan attack that's difficult to dodge, unlike a Cyber's where you can strafe his attacks easily

Besides, the SD is a real killer in medium to close range.

Spider Demon, damned Hit-Scans make swiss cheese out of anyone not expecting it, an agreed on the Medium-Close range dangers.

Cyb is just a pushover to be honest, may be the strongest but just shooting it with a ssg and normal shotty, takes a bit, but strafing is what makes a cyb fail.

It depends on the available weapons:

With BFG the Spiderdemon is a joke but if you have to fight it with conventional weapons its hitscans may be a problem.

The Spiderdemon definitely hits harder and more often. Worst the Cyber demon does really is a little bit of splash damage or occasionally takes you out if you're completely ignorant to its existence near you.

The Cyber demon does in-fight a lot less than the Spider though....

If you have to fight it completely out in the open and without the BFG, mastermind by far. But if you have even a small pillar to hide behind, it's not that hard to kill them without taking a single hit. In other words they're either pathetically easy or pure luck, which sucks.

Definitely the spiderdemon in most cases. Like others have said, the map layout and presence of other monsters can make one or the other more threatening, but in general the spiderdemon's rapid hitscan attack is harder to avoid than the cyberdemon's rockets.

TheeXile said:

My view is the Spider Demon is more dangerous because people were expecting an epic end boss for Doom 1 and this oversized scanned toy model shows up and jeopardizes the epicness of the first installment by being a pansy pushover.

Many say that the Spider Demon was a bad boss to the end of Doom1. But it is really a bad boss or is the BFG simply too powerful?

The BFG only appears on EP3 in the original game.

Vermil said:

Many say that the Spider Demon was a bad boss to the end of Doom1. But it is really a bad boss or is the BFG simply too powerful?

Considering you can kill it from a pistol start without firing a single shot...

The Spider Mastermind is way easier to kill than a cyberdemon if you have a rather small arena with easy cover. The Cyberdemon is faster and moves more, plus his rockets have splash damage. The Mastermind is slower, bulkier, and can't hurt you if she doesn't have line of sight.

There's one in Technophobia Overdose that I killed quite easily just by ducking in and out of the cover of a pillar, shooting before hiding again and appearing on the other side to shoot it some more. She never had enough time to start up her gatling, nor did she have enough time to walk around the pillar. In the same situation, a Cyberdemon would have been much, much harder to beat.

In the land of -fast, the cyberdemon is a pushover in small spaces providing you have a single corner to hide round, and in open spaces just keep moving and stay away from walls. Spider mastermind is much harder cos the hitscan starts sooner when it sees you. But in closed spaces all you need is a corner and an ssg.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

In the land of -fast, the cyberdemon is a pushover in small spaces providing you have a single corner to hide round, and in open spaces just keep moving and stay away from walls. Spider mastermind is much harder cos the hitscan starts sooner when it sees you. But in closed spaces all you need is a corner and an ssg.

Speaking of -fast; Does it actually affect the Cyberdemons? I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the UV speed and the Nightmare speed of them.

Even so, chaingunners/Spiderdemon on fast will rip you apart of you stay out in the open.

In fast mode cyberdemons attack repeatedly, walking less.

The Spiderdemon is unecessarily powerful, if you ask me. And any chance of "unecessarily powerful" blending into the realm of "exciting boss fight" is ended because you have the BFG. The E3M8 encounter would be so cool if you didn't have a BFG but had lots of pillars and whatnot to take cover behind.

If its reaction time was somewhat slower - akin to Hans Grosse from Wolfenstein 3D, it'd be great fun to fight.

StoneFrog said:

The E3M8 encounter would be so cool if you didn't have a BFG but had lots of pillars and whatnot to take cover behind.

You are free to fight E3M8 with whatever weapon you like. The map offers four pillars to hide behind. Try pistol starting the level, in UV there will be no BFG and very tight amo.

Doc Faust

myk said:

In fast mode cyberdemons attack repeatedly, walking less.

we're lucky that fast mode doesn't make their rockets fly 3x faster, like those imp fireballs on steroids.

agree with the final fight of e3 being uninspired for the layout and weapons provided. now what if it was a demolisher from the beastiary... :p

Personally there's two situations where either are harder for me. Cyberdemons are very easy if you have a BFG, and at least 250 cells. That way you can kill them in about 3, to 4 shots. However if you do not have a BFG, and only a rocket launcher and/or plasma rifle, that can get a bit harder. While with Spider Mastermind if you have a rocket launcher with about 30 rockets, and a chaingun you're usually fine. But without those it can be a bit more tricky. So overall I'd say Cyberdemon is harder. By the time you get to the Spider Mastermind in Episode 3, you already usually have a rocket launcher, chaingun, and plasmarifle. While in Episode 2 the BFG is usually in a hidden area, so you have a less chance of getting it if you don't know the maps well. Which leads to you having a rocket launcher to damage him the most, which still takes around 60 rockets.

Is I the only one who thinks Cyberdemon is more 'dangerous'? I prefer meeting with a spidey over a cyb any day. Cybs take way too long to kill and too much ammo! Plus those rockets tend to rip me a new one.

Vermil said:

Why didn't id give spidey 6000 hit points? Should have also combo'd the chaingun with a rocket launcher.

They're about equal, as shown by the results of making them fight. I'm more scared of cyberdemons than spiderdemons, mainly because of the large amount of instant damage rockets may inflict. Nonetheless, as noted by others, spiderdemons can be rather deadly if one doesn't have much cover.

Steeveeo said:
Cyberdemons are not susceptible to the 1-hit BFG kill trick that the Spider demon is.

That's pretty rare unless you use an engine that removes the blockmap glitch, though. Relying on the possibility has gotten me killed.

I am going to say that the Spider Masterminds are more dangerous. I can dodge missiles a lot easier than I can dodge bullets.

eargosedown said:
The Cyber demon does in-fight a lot less than the Spider though....

Is that because the Spider Mastermind is a hitscanner and touches everything, or because a Cyberdemon totally rapes anything that its rocket touches? Heh.

Vermil said:

It wasn't a well thought out boss. It's a useful monsters for maps, though.

I'd figure something with so large a brain should be able to actually use it for something...

I'm going to have to go with the cyberdemon instead of the spidermastermind for if the cyberdemon hits you with one missle your screwed but with the spidermastermind if you get hit by the chaingun you can still get out of the onslaught of bullets with a decent amount of health

It really depends on the situation. The spider mastermind is far more effective than the cyberdemon in open areas without any cover, since you can dodge rockets but not hitscan attacks, but provided any sort of decent cover the spider mastermind easily goes down in a couple BFG shots, whereas the cyberdemon is good at firing at you as soon as it can see you. I think I'd have to go with the cyberdemon, just because spider masterminds tend not to be used very effectively, they have fewer hit points, and they infight like nothing else which makes them useless in the presence of other strong monsters.

God, this is embarrassing, seeing as how I've been playing Doom for the past 12 or so years, but what exactly is the 1-hit BFG kill trick?