Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord_Dweedle

does Doom work on Mac Laptops?

If you're going to get a Mac laptop just because you heard they're "good", you're risking throwing $2000 on something you might not like at all.

And what do you mean with being the best anyway?

Yes, Doom will work on a Mac. And yeah, Macs are probably the best in general.

I don't see this thread going well :D

It does indeed. There are many sourceports that work under Mac OS X, such as PrBoom and Doomsday. I personally use this version of ZDoom, but it is no longer up to date. I hope we get a new version soon however.

Also, despite having a Mac myself, I wouldn't immediately recommend one to you. As awesome as they are, I was lucky and didn't need to run much Windows only stuff. And even when there was, I was often able to find an adequate (if not superior) alternative, or at least some way to run it under OS X. So just make sure you aren't going to blow all that money on a MacBook, only to run into loads of compatibility problems.

Personally if you're getting a Mac to play games, that's not a good idea. I have no problem with Macs, they just aren't a gaming type computer(More for business, and media center things). You can get a much cheaper laptop from Dell, or HP.

Hi,

PrBoom works fine under OSX, as does Doom Legacy (the later one without music). Then there is this ZDoom version mentioned above, but it seems a bit outdated to me.

Doc Faust

I thought only shareware doom ran on macs?

Lord_Dweedle said:

does doom work on a mac?

JohnnyRancid said:

I thought only shareware doom ran on macs?

Microeconomic issues aside, the answer to this part is definitely "it's all good": see here and here.

Me and the old man are gonna swap computers after we shift so I will be fine :) I'll be useing a Windows Vista laptop hopefully unless he changes his mind lol.

I just wanna laptop so I can doom while im in bed.. lol

My touch pad isn't fully conducive to mouse and keyboard tactics.

Also, macs being best in general isn't true. It's what you use them for that matters.

doom2day said:

My touch pad isn't fully conducive to mouse and keyboard tactics.

If you're referring to a Mac, make sure you disable "Ignore accidental trackpad input" in the Trackpad system preferences pane when you're playing games.

Modern Macs = an IBM PC compatible with a different OS and a higher price tag, not unlike buying a big-name IBM PC compatible from IBM or Dell. No Mac-exclusive hardware to set them apart, no magical graphics capabilities that PCs can't match etc., those were "advantages" in the distant past maybe, and even then there were other platforms that could beat the Mac at its own game (Amiga, Atari ST).

So saying they are "the best" today is no different than stating that a PC with Linux or FreeBSD is "the best".

Maes said:

Modern Macs = an IBM PC compatible with a different OS and a higher price tag, not unlike buying a big-name IBM PC compatible from IBM or Dell. No Mac-exclusive hardware to set them apart, no magical graphics capabilities that PCs can't match etc., those were "advantages" in the distant past maybe, and even then there were other platforms that could beat the Mac at its own game (Amiga, Atari ST).

So saying they are "the best" today is no different than stating that a PC with Linux or FreeBSD is "the best".

You might like this article:

http://byuu.org/articles/osx86/

Dragonsbrethren said:

You might like this article:

http://byuu.org/articles/osx86/

Indeed. In the past (68k, PowerPC era) Macs were pimped and regarded as "holy beasts" because of their "unparalleled" hardware and an OS to match, although that was far from the truth: a Quadra performed just like an expensive 486, and PowerPCs were at best on par with the Pentiums of the era. No magical hardware there (let alone that the era of custom hardware was coming to an end) so Apple switched to a more "elitist" marketing strategy, which surprisingly worked very well and continues to work even today.

I'm sure that there is an original id Mac Doom on the id Anthology Mac disk. Does it work on a modern Mac OS?

Enjay said:

I'm sure that there is an original id Mac Doom on the id Anthology Mac disk. Does it work on a modern Mac OS?

Considering the age, it's probably a classic application. 10.5 removed classic support. With a older version of OSX, it might work though

The official Mac Doom port was never particularly well-behaved under Classic, though...plus its various incompatibilities with some DOS Doom stuff. Just use PrBoom or PrBoom-Plus. (I would suggest Choco, but Mac Doom had a non-doubled 640x400 mode :P )

esselfortium said:

I would suggest Choco, but Mac Doom had a non-doubled 640x400 mode :P

So did Doom95. Would you not suggest Chocolate Doom for Windows users, either?