Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaldron

Wolfram|Alpha

Evidently they're swamped with connections at the moment. I wanted to ask them if they knew where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.

It's easy to be disappointed by it, but if you take the time to figure out how it tends to parse your questions you can get a lot of mileage out of this first preview.

I'm having lots of fun with it, some of the things people has tried in the last few hours but couldn't get an answer actually work now!

exp(x) said:

Looks like there's no point in buying Mathematica.

As long as it doesn't take more than a few seconds to compute your result, no.

Hm, nope, now that I've had the chance to actually use this without getting the "I'm sorry, Dave" error...Wolfram|Alpha cannot tell me where Carmen Sandiego is. I shall take my investigation elsewhere. =P

Put in a basic food, your name, or where you live and you get some cool things. It can also prove I am getting get fatter as I get older :P

It can tell me the volume of all oceans, but not the volume of a specific ocean.

I've seen alot of this info in different places before, but never gathered all together. Teething problems and lack of info aside, I can see how this would be a massively useful tool. The examples are amazing.

Finally, someone has made a useful search tool which Google hasn't!

Super Jamie said:

It can tell me the volume of all oceans, but not the volume of a specific ocean.

Uhmm, how could it? It depends on definitions of what an ocean is and most of the time on the Moon's position.

Because the oceans are separate entities, proven by the fact it can give areas of separate oceans. Even a varying number for volume based on tide would pass, in fact that would be even better.

Technically, the water cycle (and global warming if you're a crazy tinfoil hat ranter) would mess up a figure for volume of all oceans, but it manages to represent that, why not volumes of ocean areas individually?

I asked it "How do I shot web?" and it didn't have an answer.

I can't begin to express my dissapointment.