Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Visual mode is just blackness

I have the 2.000.1072 version or whatever might the new version that I installed but I have a problem with visual mode..it just remains black even when moving around. What might be causing this?

Oh, my hardware is the following:

1.6Ghz Turion
2GB RAM
Geforce 6150 Go IGP
Windows Vista Basic

I had absolutely no problem using 3d mode with Doom Builder v1 but v2 gives a blank 3d mode.

The coordinates are exactly what they are where I was editing..I will check that out..

Yes, it was the camera..but does it save in the WAD file when I load it up in an engine that might barf up an error (IE prBoom)?

Yup, older engines may crash with the 3D Mode Start placed in the map. Just be sure to remove them via the entity filter. ZDoom doesn't mind it, AFAIK.

Your system specs are a bit...low, but I don't think that's the cause. I never tried the "add camera" function. Try just plopping a "3D Mode Start" thing in the map via Thing Mode.

If you have multiple, you could end up starting somewhere really cryptic in the 3D Mode, so be aware of that.

StoneFrog said:

Yup, older engines may crash with the 3D Mode Start placed in the map. Just be sure to remove them via the entity filter. ZDoom doesn't mind it, AFAIK.

Because ZDoom created an actor just to manage them.

There could be two or more of them, and you control the 3D view thing that somehow managed to get really far away from the map. Do a thing search and look for those.

Everything works fine but about that camera thing, I think Doom Builder 2 should delete the visual mode thing when saving since some people can forget about it.

Did you actually try it in a Doom engine and had it crash? DB2 sets all "appear in" flags to false, so it will never spawn. Neither Chocolate Doom nor prboom crashed when I tried a map with a visual mode camera thing.

No, PrBoom does NOT crash with my DB2 made map named "Stoned" (download is in Wad & Mods forum, will soon be on archives) and I accidentally left the camera entity in there IIRC.

This may be the reason ...

With DB1 3D mode would start at player 1 position, if there was no camera sprite - 32000 - placed in the map.

With DB2 however, if there is no sprite 32000, the camera starts at x 0 , y 0 position.

You will get black if trying to go into Visual Mode (DB2) in Doom iwad E1m1 for example. Check far right hand bottom of the Status Bar for coordinates.

hawkwind said:

This may be the reason ...

With DB1 3D mode would start at player 1 position, if there was no camera sprite - 32000 - placed in the map.

With DB2 however, if there is no sprite 32000, the camera starts at x 0 , y 0 position.

You will get black if trying to go into Visual Mode (DB2) in Doom iwad E1m1 for example. Check far right hand bottom of the Status Bar for coordinates.

Yup, you're right! I just tried it out and it just put me in blackness in E1M1.