Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

NewDoom Community Project 2 Released

Ive just played map01 and a large chunk of map02 and no problems at all so far apart from all the bloody monsters. both maps play really well, look fantastic and the music is fargin awesome.
Whoever did the music for map01 needs singled out for special praise, its like being in a (well made) scary movie. Normally I never have the music on when dooming but I was using a new install of gzdoom and it was on by default and now Im so glad it was.

Like a couple of folk I dont have that slowdown on map02, maybe Im using an updated version, I downloaded it yesterday from a link in the newdoom forums. (Im mystic there)

Plonker said:

Whoever did the music for map01 needs singled out for special praise, its like being in a (well made) scary movie.

Well, yeah, it's from Resident Evil 2 after all.

I said a 'well made' scary movie, I guess its a matter of taste if the one you mention is well made or even scary. Anyways its damn good in a doom map, the normal doom tunes just grit my tits.

Jodwin said:

Well, yeah, it's from Resident Evil 2 after all.

Now you know why my map is called "The Hive" The name comes from the movie Resident Evil.

Wow Map02 blew my framerate wide open.. o.o
Otherwise I'm really enjoying this.

Its so good my girlfriend actually watches me playing it instead of moaning on about 'stupid games'. Might just be she enjoys seeing me get a kicking from the baddies.

Thanks guys.

Completed map02, looking how it runs it seems a clean up of unused sectors/linedefs/etc could have actually improved things.

Spoilers ahead...

The map itself is kinda... unusual. Most of the textures and walls are some kind of a patchwerk of existing textures or something, which I never really saw in a doom map. The detailing was ok, even if the yellow key outdoor looked a bit plain compared to the rest of the map. The gameplay is a bit AV-ish in the fights (even if the imps/zombies coming right after the Cyberdemon fight is not really logic ascending difficulty wise...), and the progression is a bit... unusual as well. You get to take some teleporter, wander aroung getting the 3 keys, and use them only to return to the beginning where a cyber blocked your way in an iced corridor... With a hell lot of luck you could've skipped all the map passing through that cyberdemon.

Also, I had to noclip through the door after grabbing the yellow key and killing the cybie.

EDIT : I failed to find the secret of the level...

/spoiler

Now on to map03... I've not completed it yet, but at first glance it seems a lot inspired by Eternal's 32-inch nails (which is a good thing).

And a thing I like a lot about this mapset is that even if various mapper took part of the project, there is interconnectivity between levels, which add a lot to the immersion. You really feel you're progressing through a single word with level exits being sorts of checkpoints.

I wonder how the final maps will get but it seems pretty good so far.

So far what I've played has been decent to pretty good, but Map 17 should have an epilepsy warning (unless I'm missing something here), because a portion of the map has those rapid-flashing techno lights.

It sorely needs to be redone before some sad Doomer crosses it by accident and has a seizure.

Map03 was pretty good - a tense level set up in a somewhat cramped (not in a bad way) military base, and feels a lot like a regular level from Eternal's 32-inch nails. Missed one secret.

Map04 was probably easier, and gameplay seems less worked out than previous levels, but I actually liked how we progress through the level, and the layout is not bad. Finished in the first run with a pistol start. Missed half of the secrets.

I haven't completed Map05 yet, but it seems the quality has a bit dropped compared to the other first maps. If the layout is ok, the design is quite simplistic : rooms filled with monsters, doors, nothing special outside of those slime pools that may make the slaughter of each room a bit more tricky. Well, I haven't seen how the level ends, it may have some ingenuous mechanic that makes up for the map ?

Well, fairly well advanced, up to map 14 now, and I must say that unless counting on infights, map13 is not remotely beatable with 100% kills.

Nice mapset so far, map11 is the least good map of the set, blocky gray blend layout but decent gameplay.

Naan said:

Nice mapset so far, map11 is the least good map of the set, blocky gray blend layout but decent gameplay.

I think you mean MAP10, and more like "sucks ass hardcore". :p

Correct, that's map 10, I felt it was more of a "oldschool" map than anything else and played as is. On the other hand Map 11 was one of the best maps I've played in the set...

Maps 6 and 14 (seems to be done by the same author) have a slighty different design that looks ok but they are far too easy to complete...

Oh, and there is also maps 7-8-9 that are pretty good but I don't know why the map has been disabled... Map 12 was under average but still ok to play through once.

hawkwind said:

So I'm not the only one to spot that.

http://forums.newdoom.com/showthread.php?t=36331&page=7 post # 139

Check out sector 439 and the action on line 4521 and exit line 3210 ( same action as line 5030

I don't recall why (it's been a long while since I worked on it), but the level was meant to exit to the super secret level normally anyway. The secret exit teleporter is just a shortcut. Which doesn't appear to be impassible in my local working version. The sector 439 bug is a good catch.

That being said, there is a brown paper bag bug in map31 - the exit line for the super-secret level is set as Impassable

The usual exit leads to level 32 for some reason, and I haven't managed to unlock that secret exit even if I have found other secrets of the map...

Noticed the quite... different... flag in the starting area, dunno if it has something to do to unlock that secret area.

Naan said:

The usual exit leads to level 32 for some reason,

A bug. Imentioned this over at newdoom as well. Line 3210 needs the line special 52.

Naan said:

and I haven't managed to unlock that secret exit even if I have found other secrets of the map...

Read earlier posts.

Naan said:

Noticed the quite... different... flag in the starting area, dunno if it has something to do to unlock that secret area.

Please be more specific.

omg. can't find the right word for this .wad....perfect maybe...
I swear, it was the first time I died because of the wonderful architecture! Every single room looks so nice, there are so many wonderful used sectors and lines. I saw and played many, many, many .wads, and I have to say, that this is my favourite one!
Really great and perfect job!