Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

What kind of map?

Seeing Doom Builder 2 is now out, i decided to start mapping but i've been wondering what kind of map should i start with?

Big&detailed?
Small/semi-detailed?

Suggestion?

Heh - Build a huge dark base map.
The player has to destroy some crates and kill a few Commandos.

Start small/low-detail and work your way up.

For a first map, I recommend trying to make it detailed but not too much so...it takes practice before you figure out what sorts of details look good, don't inhibit gameplay, etc. so starting out simple would be a good plan. Also, you don't necessarily have to make your first map small but if you do want to make it bigger make sure you have some sort of layout plan or something, to avoid gameplay that results in excessive wandering or whatever.

As for style, sky fortresses are pretty cool when done right. :) Also, it might be cool if you built a techbase city map (if that makes sense...like a city map, but with mostly techbase textures instead of mostly stone/brick ones.)

Build a cramped torn apart bright military bunker map.
The player has to kill ridiculous numbers of Icon of Sin and
kill ridiculous numbers of Shotgun guys.

^ lol at the idea generator.

But yeah thanks for the input, i'll see what i can do.

Undead+priest said:

Seeing Doom Builder 2 is now out, i decided to start mapping but i've been wondering what kind of map should i start with?

Big&detailed?
Small/semi-detailed?

Suggestion?

I was just thinking about making a post suggesting people make a map inspired by / rip off of / E4M1. Small, keep like map with the use of clever monster teleports to make it challenging and frightening.

I LOVE small DOOM 1 style maps. So if you do something like that I'll playtest it and give feedback.

Yeah i was thinking of making an Ultimate Doom map as a first map. I'll most likely follow your advice.

Make it garish and overdetailed.

Actually just kidding. Make a map that you think would be the funnest kind of map to play.

Go and play some /idgames non-Port maps (probably by random but preferably ones that look respectable) to get inspiration and try, FOR VANILLA DOOM, to mimic layouts you've liked. Do this until you can control your mapping and have no more texture misalignments, missing textures, unaesthetic architecture.

Please test your wad in vanilla or Chocolate-Doom, never in ports, if it's for vanilla Doom. Reason: you can be sure this way you'll get no tutti-frutti effects or unusual HOM effects, which ports often mask. Way too many vanilla-compatible maps these days contain glaring tutti-frutti effects in many places >:(

I would go with small maps. Focus mostly on gameplay but experiment with detailing. Your first maps are going to suck bad. When you finish them don't spend much time polishing them, they are turds, just make your next map a better one.

Getting feedback on your maps is very helpful. Don't be afraid to let people try your boring/ugly noob maps. If people who play your map give you stupid sounding suggestions try them anyway. Some of the suggestions I've gotten sounded like crap but once implemented turned out to be solid improvements.