Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AngelOfDeath

A Question For Programmers

I have decided to learn a computer language. I would like to make games eventually. What language is the quake 3 engine written in. Or what language would be the most financially rewarding. would C++ be good ?

I have decided to learn a computer language. I would like to make games eventually. What language is the quake 3 engine written in. Or what language would be the most financially rewarding. would C++ be good ?

C++ then visual C++

Then you can learn the OpenGL and Direct 3D APIs.

OK. if you wanna get technical here...

Visual C++ is an extension to C++ which is a subset of C.

Happy now?

Or do I have to rape you with my hickory stick? =)

C++ is not a subset of C. It's not even a superset, if that's what you wanted to say.

Visual C++ is Microsoft's gay version of C++.

Yeah it's so pathetic everyone uses it. Sheesh, what else you're going to use if you wanna make Wxx software?

Yeah it's so pathetic everyone uses it.

That doesn't make it less gay

I don't think iD software use MSVC. But then, I'm probably wrong.

There's a shot of VC++ under W2k with Doom code floating around the Net.

Well, you need some years of experience to even think about making a 3d game. If you never programmed before i suggest you forget about C++ and learn general concepts of programming, using a language like Scheme.

John Carmack has been using Visual C++ and OpenGL since 1996. Visual C++ is pretty much a no-brainer if you're developing for Windows systems, and for 3D you're best off with either Direct3D or OpenGL. I've been screwing around with OpenGL for a while and I find it very easy to get into, but it seems that most game developers are still going for Direct3D. Read up on the subject before making any fundamental decisions.

To get a general idea of 3D programming and OpenGL specifics, check out the tutorials and articles on http://nehe.gamedev.net/.

Ummmmh, so yeah, you are an idiot, and stuff....

Bah I'm bored. :)

Well it was always going to be an anticlimax today after yesterday's events. If you get truly bored I might make you some more art, though I've lost my inspiration overnight. You could do something radical, like write a review at rworld..?

That's a great idea, yes, C++.

The problem is, I don't expect anyone who's a total newbie to programming to get anything other than disappointment from trying to learn C++.

I started with C++ and I turned out okay... Well, slightly twisted, but still okay.

If you're totally new to programming, go grab yourself a Dummy's book and learn from it.

Liam

Indeed. I could never be arsed for that, a bit like I could never be arsed for quality mapping

The problem is, I don't expect anyone who's a total newbie to programming to get anything other than disappointment from trying to learn C++.

Yep, if you're a total newbie you should probably start with vanilla C.

nope; if someone wants to learn C++, there's no reason for him to learn C it all, because it'll only make him confused (again, C++ is NOT a superset of C).

But I'd say even C is too hard for total newbies. Maybe I'm just a bit biased because I sit all day in the #C channel and listen to newbies' moronic questions. C is full of weird concepts that make little sense without general understanding of how computers work (something too many people wrongly assume they have). The best C book, K&R, presumes that the reader has programming experience.

I still recommend Scheme to anyone new to programming (or BASIC to anyone new to programming and younger than 13).

(again, I'm lament and i'm a complete dumbfuck when it comes to programming. I think I know how to code because I hang out in a c++ channel.)

There are skills common to basically all higher level programming languages that must be mastered. You can start with c++, you can start with Java, you can start with pascal (teaching language).

I've seen people start on fucking basic and get lost, and I've seen people start on c++ and have no clue what they're doing.

Once you know how to program, all you have to do is apply the concepts in the syntax of another language. If you don't get it, then you don't get it. The fucking language has NOTHING to do with it you fucking moron.