Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

DVII Second Edition underway. It's time!

The Lag said:

like a giant worm?

Yep, I was pretty much expecting that. A map inside any other giant beast would be a bit too mazelike for my taste, anyway.

Make it into a full 32 level megawad! :D - (...sigh, only in my dreams)

what I'd suggest is lower the amount of enemies in that imp hallway in map 12, and get rid of many trees in map 3. Besides fixing performance issues in maps that some people have said run at a snail's pace like map 21, that's about it.

I think that reduce the amount of imps in map12 would break the fun... sorry for those who haven't a decent computer to run this well :/
(Try a lower skill instead imo)

There's always going to be slowdown problems with maps like these, but with modern computers I don't see how it's terribly important. My framerates based on timedemoing the included lmps(640x480/1024x768, PRBoom+ v2.5.0.1, software rendering, Anthlon X2 5400+ processor): MAP03 84.1/45.0, MAP12 122.8/68.2, MAP21 124.7/66.6. It should also be noted that I bought this PC last year for a mere $400; hardly a high-end system.

Of these three MAPs, MAP03 is the only one that I'd say is a problem. Maybe Huy could eliminate one of the skill levels(say, have HMP and UV be identical in terms of gameplay), then just remove some of the trees on HMP. Or include a slightly deforested MAP03 as a seperate WAD.

I agree with the last idea, everyone can be pleased like that.

Anyway, speaking of a giant worm level, what about a giant cock ?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they will help. I'm looking at the items, monsters, and overall gameplay for the existing levels, if you have stuff that bugs you in the DVII-1i maps, bitch away I'm all ears.

Andy Olivera said:

Of these three MAPs, MAP03 is the only one that I'd say is a problem. Maybe Huy could eliminate one of the skill levels(say, have HMP and UV be identical in terms of gameplay), then just remove some of the trees on HMP. Or include a slightly deforested MAP03 as a seperate WAD.

A brilliant idea that made me go, "why didn't I think of that?" I'll certainly remove a number of trees for the lower skill settings.

A second session of "The DVII exam", for those who failed to pass the first one ? :)

Awesome screens, I like the open and impressive architecture.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
A second session of "The DVII exam", for those who failed to pass the first one ? :)

Very good! I didn't think anyone but essel would recognize the level in the previous shots. You will certainly find the second version of the DVII exam a more pleasant experience.

... you might even find some snippets of your countrymen by the name of Benoit as an Easter Egg somewhere in DVII:SE... =)

I've been meaning to ask: Are your "hell" levels supposed to be just a stylistically amplified Mordor, some kind of planet that happens to be hellish (Mars?), or the actual biblical hell? Just curious.

Doom Marine said:

... you might even find some snippets of your countrymen by the name of Benoit as an Easter Egg somewhere in DVII:SE... =)

Hokuto no Vult... Oh my, can't wait to see that :p

TheeXile said:

I've been meaning to ask: Are your "hell" levels supposed to be just a stylistically amplified Mordor, some kind of planet that happens to be hellish (Mars?), or the actual biblical hell? Just curious.

Hell in DVII is a hellish planet hosting several locations from Dante's Inferno, with Mordor as architecture... in other words, it's my imagination let loose!

If you keep the green hallway with 1000 monsters, ugh. That part at least was literally unplayable

Excellent Screenshots.

And now to mention the music. The MP3's used in DVii are great but some are of poor quality and getting the file size down would a start.

A new MIDI based soundtrack would be a good idea from my point of view. I have already finished writing all my MIDI's for WOS and I can write some new MIDI's for DVii if you want me to. Some of the maps I find very inspiring, the Pyramid level, Unholy Cathedral and Map22 of DVii (which inspired me to make Map25: Vulcana of WOS) in particular.

pcorf said:

Excellent Screenshots.

And now to mention the music. The MP3's used in DVii are great but some are of poor quality and getting the file size down would a start.

A new MIDI based soundtrack would be a good idea from my point of view. I have already finished writing all my MIDI's for WOS and I can write some new MIDI's for DVii if you want me to. Some of the maps I find very inspiring, the Pyramid level, Unholy Cathedral and Map22 of DVii (which inspired me to make Map25: Vulcana of WOS) in particular.

Which ones are of poor quality? I'll look into it if you would point out the specifics.

As for creating the new MIDI soundtrack, part of me says yeah you should go for it, but what if it ends up not being used in DVII (as in, I have Nazi standard when it comes to these kinds of things)? It would make me sad and ungrateful to have to say "no" to someone's work when it is that dedicated.

I mean, if it ends up fitting and sounding great, I have no problem incorporating it into DVII, but if I feel the MIDI doesn't work for DVII, then I hope you have other uses for it.

It's up to you man, I just don't want to be in a position of having someone offer me their work and I rejecting it. Good luck!

PS: I can't wait to see Vulcania!

Never seen better timing ;D I was just feeling the urge to replay the mapset. Actually, I'd like to try it in Coop this time =D, and the new maps make it all the better.
By the way, anyone with a relatively decent computer should be able to play Map03 - most people however, will be Minas Morgul's bitch.

Erm...so anyway, good luck!

Doom Marine said:

Which ones are of poor quality? I'll look into it if you would point out the specifics.

As for creating the new MIDI soundtrack, part of me says yeah you should go for it, but what if it ends up not being used in DVII (as in, I have Nazi standard when it comes to these kinds of things)? It would make me sad and ungrateful to have to say "no" to someone's work when it is that dedicated.

I mean, if it ends up fitting and sounding great, I have no problem incorporating it into DVII, but if I feel the MIDI doesn't work for DVII, then I hope you have other uses for it.

It's up to you man, I just don't want to be in a position of having someone offer me their work and I rejecting it. Good luck!

PS: I can't wait to see Vulcania!

Vulcania is actually Vulcana (inspired by Vulcan and Volcano)

Oh well, you can keep DVii the way it was. I will be away until June 7 so I will have a think about it. Its your wad so you can choose what to have or not.

I scrolled through WoS's third episode screenies again and I'd have to say that's one solid hell episode. It's pretty rare to see any megawad that features ten whole red hot hell levels.

Hell is probably the most important and miss-executed theme in Doom, I haven't seen a single megawad that does it completely to my satisfaction. Hell is red, hot, and bloody, and do not break character in the middle of an episode. Seeing a non-hell level in the third episode breaking the hell continuity always makes me cringe, like Scythe's third episode for example... kinda like seeing an actor breaking character at a Renaissance Fair, heh. Once the episode starts in hell DO NOT break out of the hell theme.

Hope you release WoS soon cause I want to play it.

Bah. Hell's getting all the attention.

We need a decent 'Heaven' theme for a change. I wonder if the Doom engine/palette could be worked into doing that as well as Hell. Then we'd have a nice duality thing to work with.

Sounds like an idea to try out for my next map.

Doom Marine said:

Hell is probably the most important and miss-executed theme in Doom, I haven't seen a single megawad that does it completely to my satisfaction. Hell is red, hot, and bloody, and do not break character in the middle of an episode. Seeing a non-hell level in the third episode breaking the hell continuity always makes me cringe, like Scythe's third episode for example... kinda like seeing an actor breaking character at a Renaissance Fair, heh. Once the episode starts in hell DO NOT break out of the hell theme.

ThAnKs FoR sHaRiNg

Hell has many faces, red is only an part of it. Anyone creates their hellish maps from what they think hell should look like.

My personal hell is black and red.