Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone ever been to a rave before? I went to my first rave last night at the San Francisco Cow Palace. It was insane. Probably one of the funnest nights of my entire life. Share your rave experiences!

I went to a rave once. I left 12 minutes later and went to a coffee shop.

Uh, I guess people still go. There were 15000 (fifteen thousand) people there.

Once and didn't really found it funny at all, the music was so fucking loud my ears started to hurt. And I can't dance for shit anyway, well jumping around like an stupid retard was all I could do.

Wear earplugs if you decide to go, no matter how stupid it looks.

AndrewB said:

The music sucks.

QFT.

I can't stand the repetitious nature of it, really...put some effort into it and not some lame shout every 5 minutes and looping the same beat 4 times in a row.

I go to see my favorite hardcore and grindcore bands. I've never be to a rave before but I can't imagine that it would be better.

I happened to show up at a mock rave in the Dominican when I was there. I didn't dance though; I just sat, drank, and had girls sometimes come up and hit on me. Eventually Dracula showed up, and fed me taquila through a funnel.

PLUR

Enjay said:

People still go to raves?

Yeah, saying you went to a rave is like saying you went to a disco. I thought they were getting old when I was hearing about them over 10 years ago.

Never found a reason to go to one. The music is terrible and so are the drugs they do at them.

What's the point of going to a rave if you're not planning on being completely sideways on E or acid or both? There really aren't any raves in New England.. a rave in Massachusetts is a keg of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a pallet fire and a shitty radio that only gets 94-HJY, classic/mediocre rock set back somewhere in the Freetown State Forest.

Oh, and music you can only enjoy under the influence isn't much different than women of that nature.

All shitty "entertainment" halls and/or events end up looking the same anyway. Whether it's crowded night clubs, "Greek" night clubs and regardless of the selection of music ("club" remixes, "dub", "RnB" and even "Greek" music) they all share the fact that you'll spend most of your time standing and getting your ass blasted by some insanely loud "music" which is cranked up to the point of clipping the amps. I've even seen DJs that didn't know how to use the console and do a proper passage between songs, and "performed" a let's-pause-a-cassette-player kind of transition.... eww :-(

I checked one out once and didn't really enjoy it. When I look back on it, it seems like a waste of money. Music got annoying, at least at the one I went to.

"Rave" doesn't have such a clear definition as what you guys are assuming. Yes, it basically requires techno and crazy lights. Most people think of the acid house movement which can be pretty repetitive. However, people these days often refer to any electronic dance party as a rave.

Saying "the music sucks" is a little curt. You probably haven't heard what I consider good electronica, so fuck your opinion, too.

Ed said:

What's the point of going to a rave if you're not planning on being completely sideways on E or acid or both? There really aren't any raves in New England.. a rave in Massachusetts is a keg of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a pallet fire and a shitty radio that only gets 94-HJY, classic/mediocre rock set back somewhere in the Freetown State Forest.

Oh, and music you can only enjoy under the influence isn't much different than women of that nature.

That sounds more fun than an actual rave, actually.

Well, I had a fun time. This kind of stuff is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like electronic/techno/trance music a lot, and there were some attractive women there too. Almost everyone was fucked up on E. Everyone was friendly there too. It's a very social environment, and I'm a very social person. Lots of drugs probably helped too.

But, whatever. Each to his own, I guess.

I've been to one rave -- like, "rave" rave -- maybe 6 years ago.
I've been a club dj for even longer than that.
I've also done just about every drug except heroin and pcp.

my thoughts?

Raves suck.
Dj's who don't mix up their beats suck (and so do the people who can stand to listen to one 4/4 or break-beat for hours on end.)
Drugs can be fun unless you develop a habit. If that happens then you suck.

Dancing all night in a field with a thousand or more other people on a hot sweaty night in the early nineties was fun but... meh, I've moved on and so has the scene. If they happen at all these days, it tends to be a total ned/chav thing.

If I want to thrash around like a loon to dance beats these days, I get cybered up and find a place that plays some EBM/TBM. There should be an Elizium night in Aberdeen this weekend (goth, techno, EBM/TBM) and I'm expecting quite a few decent tracks to be played. :D

I went to a rave once. It was in 2003 or something. It sucked.
When we got there it was in the middle of the forest. And there were like 15 people there, and as previously stated. The music sucked.
We left pretty much instantly.

Even high on E, I would find the environment excruciating, leave, collapse, and rediscover the wondrous, magical texture of pavement in blessed silence and solitude.

Why would you want to go to a rave when you can just sit in a park, bbq and drink beer with friends all night?

I've been to a few raves before, although lots of the places don't play that good music but I got lucky one time where they were playing Tiesto, Basshunter and other good stuff. I did roll on an E, best way to enjoy it although don't do it too much cause it can become psychologically addicting.

All in all, it was fun as hell dancing my heart out there, about as much as fun as going to see Jeff Loomis tear up the soundwaves around you as he shreds for Nevermore. \m/

I go to what passes for a rave once every few months – ordinarily to the same night. But then again I enjoy listening to techno / d'n'b / breakcore / gabber / braindance, and a lot of my favourite electronic artists play semi-regularly at this event. I also enjoy dancing to this kind of music – in fact most kinds of music – although I use the term 'dancing' in a loose sense. My brother likes similar music but would never go to a rave simply because he doesn't enjoy dancing. I've been doing this for nearly 10 years now and haven't gotten bored, although this is probably because I've never overdone it. And my 'day job' is a world removed from that kind of scene, so it offers me a very welcome opportunity to let my hair down. Because I go primarily for the music/dancing aspect, I find the drugs are optional. Although these days I have less energy than I used to so they fulfil a certain function. And, as with most drugs, 'party drugs' can certainly be used sensibly. In any case, so long as you're into dancing to loud electronic music, raves are great fun.

Mr. Chris said:

Speaking of raves...

I could never see myself dancing to some music I don't even like. The closest would be windmilling/headbanging at a metal gig.

Yeah, same, I just stick to headbanging. I tried windmilling once and almost went on my ass so I don't do that so much anymore.