Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steelbread

I cannot connect to archive.gamers.org

I have tried again and again to connect to archive.gamers.org using Filezilla with the Newstuff FAQ as a guide but to no avail. I would like to be an active member of the Doomworld Community but without the ability to upload my participation is limited. Please help me.

i never could, either. i always sent my maps to someone to be uploaded, hah. however, it's been many many years since i've tried uploading anything...

I normally use ftp://ftp.gamers.org - not that there's any practical difference, it takes us to the same place. FileZilla's not 100% happy with some recent changes to the archive's FTP server, though if you start at the root directory and work your way from there you should be OK. What error messages are you getting in the message log?

Did you see this?

Bloodshedder said:

Before everything else, please note:

* Proxies will not work.
* There is a limit of 5 users. BE PATIENT. Do not hammer the server by continually trying to log in. Try accessing it some time around midnight EST (5 AM GMT).

Thank you for the quick responses, I will try your suggestions. Thanks again.

I was getting the "unable to connect to server" message.

Oh and by the way how do you upload using the ftp.archives.gamers.org through the internet route. I need step by step instructions on how to upload that way. If you would be so kind as to list them for me I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

steelbread said:

I was getting the "unable to connect to server" message.

If the line above that says "421 There are already 10 users logged on. Try again in 10 minutes." you're almost there and just have to pick a quieter time to try again.

Oh and by the way how do you upload using the ftp.archives.gamers.org through the internet route. I need step by step instructions on how to upload that way. If you would be so kind as to list them for me I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

If you haven't already done so - I'll step you through the process of creating a Site Manager entry for the archives.

• Open the Site Manager (from the File menu or by hitting CTRL+S) and click on New Site. Type in a name - I used Idgames archive - and hit Enter.
  • In the General tab - Host is archives.gamer.org, Port is 21 (can be left blank), Servertype is FTP - FTP and Logontype is Anonymous.
  • In the Advanced tab - Servertype is Default (Autodetect), Default local directory: is where the files you want to upload are located and Default remote directory: is /pub/games/idgames/incoming.
  • In the Transfer settings tab - Transfer mode: is Default, Limit number of simultaneous connections is ticked and set to 1.
  • Click on Connect and cross your fingers.
Hope this helps.