Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

My First "real" Map

Cool bridges, how did you get those to work? I noticed a few problems with the enemies at some points, especially in the 3rd or 4th room with 2 demons next to pillars that are suck in place and do not attack the player. For a first map, i thought it was good, keep it up!

Heh thanks, checked out your map a bit before making mine, doing good.

First the demons, I put them on dormant without realizing what it would do then forgot to put them out before uploading the wad when I realized what it did. Easy fix. Also I've found the monsters on the bridge get stuck with the thing holding it up, so no go on those.

Second the bridges ... Saw a post with this link in it, http://www.zdoom.org/zdkb/kk1.html , and I'd been wondering how to do bridges myself. Tried the doombuilder bridge thing but I didn't have much luck with that. So I did it the 'fake' way, with a blocking ceiling 'thing' in hexen format. the linedefs are just there to show the player where the bridge is as you make the things invisible. Just put the things higher up (or lower in z-height) to make railings. Check lower unpegged on the linedefs to move the steps into position and now you got a bridge. Also make sure the 'snap to geometry' function isn't on in Doombuilder when you make draw the linedefs, and make sure it's in its own sector, or you run into problems.

EDIT: @ hellbent; the cacos CAN go over the bridges, they just don't go high enough in elevation. I guess I could give them some z-height in the beginning to help em along.

What difficulties did you have with the doombuilder bridge objects? If you used those, it would be easier to allow monsters to walk on them. Plus, if I remember right, those bridge objects are 8 units high, so you could go under lower bridges.

Just problems with z-height, couldn't get the bridges to line up with the edges properly. I'll look into it again, maybe I'll get it this time.

EDIT: just tried it again, and got it to work. idk, must've had a retarded moment or 10. Don't really need to fix the first map with them though, shouldn't need to go under the stairs or jump under the platforms anyway. However I could've used em on the second map, had an extreme height change after I tried to get the bridge to change height with a lift and it didn't work >.< I'll try it with the bridge sprites.

EDIT2: didn't work, but it gave me an idea for something interesting since it blocked the platform and sent it back down again ... :D

EDIT3: about halfway done with the architecture, was testing some stuff with monsters. Bridges will probably be both visible and not easy to see ...
http://i43.tinypic.com/akfr77.jpg

Actual bridge objects would be helpful anyways, for more low-lying bridges. Also, if you use them, you could probably make them closer together, which would allow the monsters to walk on them.

Ya, tested em last night with a few imps and it worked. allowing projectile attack enemies to shoot around the railings is more a problem ... I'm probably only going to need railings on the highest and first bridges though.

Might fix the first map with those bridges, shouldn't take too long to do actually.