Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

My first speedrun attempt (Map01)

My first ever attempt at recording a speedrun.

I'm a bit slow, but I'm still learning to strafe 50.

Game: Doom2

Map01

Skill: Nightmare Speed

Kills 7%
Items 0%
Secrets 0%
Time 7

Port: Legacy Doom 1.42

Any input would be great. Thanks for watching ^^

map01nm_07.zip

Not too shabby.

For some reason "lmpdet" says the .lmp is bad (I wanted to see how much you strafed), but the demo plays fine in Legacy 1.42 :D

r_rr said:

Not too shabby.

For some reason "lmpdet" says the .lmp is bad (I wanted to see how much you strafed), but the demo plays fine in Legacy 1.42 :D

/shrug Dunno why that's happening. Might just be Legacy being typical :P

After around 40 attempts or so, I came to the conclusion that having never used strafe 50 before, there was no way in hell (no pun intended) I was going to be able to do it for this map yet.

Luckily, toying around in -nomonster mode, I managed to hit 6 seconds with just standard strafe.

Another 60+ attempts later, and I managed a 6 second run in Nightmare :D

Skill: Nightmare Speed

Kills 7%
Items 0%
Secrets 0%
Time 6

Port: Legacy Doom 1.42

I'm honestly not sure if I can do it better. I feel I might have missed a few points of a second on the strafe of the big room (Maybe .3-.5 at most) so there's grounds for improvement. I also snagged for a split second on the final imp.
I do feel that I can hit 5 seconds if I learn the strafe 50 well enough though. My question now is; Is a run of less then 5 seconds even plausable? Couldn't find anything on the Doom wiki saying either way.

map01nm_06.zip

there was a built, nomonsters 0:04 demo, IIRC, but it's extremely unlikely to be physically possible for a human to do that, and I think the monster layout without nomonsters is such that 0:04 is literally impossible.

it's listed in the table at http://www.doomworld.com/sda/tas/, doesn't seem to be downloadable though. I no longer have a copy.

Actually 4 is possible with monsters as there is a TAS demo here somewhere. It uses st50 on turns, which is a kind of cheating, but I don't think that makes much of a difference, so it should be theoretically possible otherwise. With human play it is of course unattainable.

Thanks for the replies fellas! Glad to know I don't have to spend countless hours awake trying to get a 4 in :P

Well, little bit of an update (Not that anyone really cares....)

But I was able to hit 5 seconds in -nomonsters, without strafe50. I'm wondering if I can wallslide along that wall but I don't think it's N/S facing.

nomonsters_map01.zip